Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Southfield Detroit [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Southfield Detroit [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 1999, 9:48 am
In Memoriam, Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Southfield Detroit [Master Thread]

In the last three weeks I have experienced the following at this property.

1. Told I do not have a reservation despite the fact I am able to produce a confirmation number. After interupting the front desk manager who was at dinner in the hotel resturant, I was given a room

2. Three weeks in a row, charges that are not mine show up the bill. Resturant charges, phone charges, ect. The phone charges (over $50) were to a child day care service and were traced to a maid.

3. Change missing from the room. I know one should not leave money around, but who steals quarters?

Starwood are you listening?
Old Aug 31, 2000, 9:54 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
About 3 months ago, I stayed over a weekend when I got a good deal from Priceline. At that time the pool was closed (being remodeled) and some parts of the hotel were being painted - there was a strong smell of paint in our floor and room. They upgraded me to the top floor when I asked - but the rooms were not any different and the club room was closed over the weekend. The heavenly beds were nice, and they had a good breakfast buffet. The front desk was somewhat inept. I have still not received SPG credit for my meal charges.
Old Aug 31, 2000, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I stayed there a few weeks back. They forgot my wake up call. When I called to complain, the front desk person implied that I had no right to expect a wake up call! On top of that the coffee maker was broke. I'm one of those guys that can't do diddly without the first cup of java. By the time someone came around with a new coffee maker, I was ready to leave. As a consequence of all this, my meeting was delayed and I missed my afternoon flight! On top of all this, I didn't get my Starpoints for the stay!

To be fair, after my complaint e-mail from the Starwood website, the Manager called me and apologized. He offered me 500 Starpoints.

I had a sneaky feeling that I'm not the only one complaining about The Westin Southfield - I was right. I ain't going back there anymore.
Old Sep 18, 2000, 11:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I used a free weekend at this property this weekend to see my beloved Red Sox split 4 games with the Tigers.

A few comments.

1) Detroit is, in my opinion, the WORST MAJOR CITY I have ever been to in America. The city itself is filthy. Roads are horrible. Three times in 2 days I was accosted by people while in my car (parking or getting gas). While in high school I was the victim of an attempted carjacking in LA, so I'm risk-averse. The city has an air about it which is unsafe. Additionally, much of the city is in a general state of disrepair.

2) The hotel service SUCKED. The front desk was inept. There was no shampoo in my room. I called down 4 times for shamppo- never got any over 45 minutes. I had to go get some from a cart. I had only 2 towels- one of which was dirty. No Robe. Check-out took 45 minutes. No SPG line. Express checkout didn't work.

3) The restaraunt service was awful. I had 2 breakfasts there. The first day, sevrice was o.k. The food was decent, not good, not bad. Sunday was a disaster. For over 25 minutes, the only items on the hot buffet line were potatoes, syrup, and oatmeal. People were assured that new food would arrive any minute, but it took forever. It was absurd. By the time it came, over 40 people were in line for the buffet, and the food that was brought out was snatched up immediately, and the waiting began again.

Additionally, My check was brought without my asking, when I first sat down. The waiter came back and took it away while I was eating, even though I hadn't signed it yet. I felt very rushed. It reminded me of being a freshman in college.

4) The rooms were tastefully decorated, and recently renovated. Kind of small, but very pleasant decoration.

As the stay was free, I didn't complain, but am venting here. This property is on balance, lousy. it should not be a category 3 property. It shouldn't even be a Westin. it should be a Sheraton, or maybe a 4 points.

5) Oh yeah, no club level. I was told I was being out on the "concierge floor" which means absolutely nothing.
Old Sep 18, 2000, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member
Original Poster

"5) Oh yeah, no club level. I was told I was being out on the "concierge floor" which means absolutely nothing."

I agree with all of your comments about the hotel except the one above. When I was there they did have a Club lounge with free appetizers from 5-7 PM (but I think they only do this Monday-Friday). Top floor, 12 maybe?
Old Sep 18, 2000, 12:34 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
The roads around Detroit are the absolute worst I have ever seen in the US, which is a reflection on the politicians and highway contractors/engineers, rather than on Starwood.

Maybe Starwood should consider knocking down this property to a Category 2?
Old Sep 18, 2000, 2:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Obviously the roads and the general decrepit condition of the city are (presumably) beyond the scope of Starwood's control.

I generally find things redeeming about most cities I visit, including those others don't. Detroit has apparently been immune from the "urban renewal" that has taken hold in Cleveland, Baltimore, and other cities that once had awful reputations.

I even hate their airport, whihc may be the worst airport for a major city in the US.

To top it off, My luggage has arrived a day late 2 of the last 3 times I have flown out of, or had a connection out of Detroit on NWA.

This property should be moved down a category until the serious concerns about service can be rectified.

And re: club level-

I was told that the club level and club was recently eliminated, not just on weekends.
The room itself (not bathroom) was actually pretty nice, though.
Old Feb 26, 2001, 4:17 pm

I know this is an old post, but I just ran into it (extra time on my hands today)

I thought I would update anyone interested on the Detroit Southfield Westin property. I have stayed here 12 times in the past few months. My stays began in September of 2000, all after most of the previous posts, and I know they have remodeled somewhat in December of 2000.

We can talk about the quality of DTW and this Westin versus others forever. However, to address this location specifically:

The hotel itself is a nice property not breathtaking but no negative first impressions either. My biggest gripe is that it's often boring on the weekends. No action in the the lobbies or the bar half-the-time Anyways, I have always received a Heavenly Bed and the ROTD (return-on-the-dollar, i.e. value received vs. dollars paid) is the best of any Westin.
Why ?

Well, remember that Westin hotels, IN GENERAL, are higher priced properties than Sheratons. But the weekend rates at this location are excellent. And the size of the rooms along with the quality is now very good. I would never pay the 189 per night for their weekly rates (although the execs from the Big 3 auto makers do !!) because the rooms are not worth 189. However, the weekend rates (Thursday to Sunday nights) are never more than 89, Hot Rates with Starwood bring them down to 79 and I have even paid in the 50s range. A true bargain. The bar service is friendly, the food is fine, and the water fountain in the lobby is cute. All in all the Westin Southfield is not a property that needs to be avoided. It does the job of a hotel just fine.

[This message has been edited by Stephen loves Starwood (edited 02-26-2001).]
Old Feb 26, 2001, 6:29 pm

The good news is that my bid of $20 per night was accepted by Pline for this property (where I held a reservation at $89 per night as previously stated). This makes the total for my 2 night stay only $53.95 including taxes.

The bad news is that I fear I'll be awarded a horrible, pre-renovation room with a view of the projects. Hopefully my gold SPG will help lessen my plight.

I'll probably be okay as long as I remember to leave all of my quarters at home. I think.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2001, 9:26 am

Atomic,

Really, have no fear. It's not a property from hell. If you really want a bad property in the Detroit/Windsor area, then stay at the Radisson in Windsor (right across the bridge from DTW) which is like a really cheap apartment building. Even the Hilton properties are kind of dowdy in DTW.

90% of my stays have been on the 12th Floor (titled the Executive floor), however if you happen to be placed on another floor don't get too upset. There are no real differences (too bad for those of us who hold Gold or Platinum SPG). The only extras that exist on the Exec floor at this property are that you will receive two water bottles, a nicer shampoo set (the best smelling shampoo I have EVER had in a hotel anywhere in the world) and a nicer view of the highways

The bottom line is you'll be fine. I have seen many weddings held at this hotel. Only if the wedding party is large, check in early so they'll have a better selection to offer you. Although, at the rate that you are paying you will probably get the standard room, however all the standard rooms I have been in have had the Heavenly Bed, nice furniture, and plenty of space.

The renovations were almost completed on my last visit last month. So have fun.

[This message has been edited by Stephen loves Starwood (edited 02-27-2001).]
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Westin Southfield

Short report on stay last week as platinum.

Upgraded to a corner room on top floor. Large sitting area with couch, windows down two sides of the room. Very generous size room, and very nice & light. Platinum amenity offered on check in without asking.

Great heavenly bed & bath. Room service for breakfast was delicious and reasonably priced (maximum entrees @ 9.95 for eggs bene, etc.).

All staff wre helpful and nice.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Silver
I've stayed there a number of times over the past month. It's nothing to write home about, but it is decent. Platinum recognition was spotty at first (no upgrade, no platinum amenity), but the last two weeks have been better. One no upgrade, and one upgrade to a junior suite, and platinum amenity points posted quickly.

The hotel is attached to a couple office buildings and there isn't much else in the immediate area, though I've heard that there is an excellent Japanese restaurant in one of the adjacent buildings.

Unfortunately, *wood doesn't have much to offer in the Detroit area. The Sheraton Novi isn't any better. Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport is very nice, but is a little too far out of the way for where I need to be, so I don't stay there.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:53 pm

Westin Southfield (Detroit)

I will be staying in this hotel during the Christmas Holidays. How is the hotel? Are there resturants, and shops (malls), withing walking distances? I hope this is not the bad part of Detroit, is it?

Last edited by ilkhats44; Dec 10, 2005 at 6:57 pm
Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ilkhats44
I will be staying in this hotel during the Christmas Holidays. How is the hotel? Are there resturants, and shops (malls), withing walking distances? I hope this is not the bad part of Detroit, is it?
If you can switch it go to the Sheraton Novi which maybe a 10 min drive or so father West. Youd be Glad you did.

Ive stayed at both and the Novi wins hands down. The Novi has a lounge Westin doesnt. As for food theres a mall across from the Novi and the Westin is in a Corp Park. Around the corner in the same park is a Doughnut Shop and I thik a fast food place. Not much else within walking distance. by the Novi you'll have your problem deciding where to go.

The Westin is not in Detroit itself, although teh city border is very close, But DownTown is a nice drive away.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:53 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
The Westin is not that bad, relatively speaking.

It is a decent hotel, with very convenient freeway access.

The area is very suburban, but given that there is not much to walk to easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.