Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 9, 2008, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Arrow GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Currently at this property and not very happy. The hotel is very full due to peak season which made any Platinum recognition evaporate.

What really ticked me off though was that the hotel charged my credit card for the entire 5 day stay one week before I got there. The rate I booked is a "LmPassport w/bkfst" and the cancellation policy is "cancel one day prior to arrival to avoid a 1 night penalty".

I never book pre-paid stays as I have learnt to feel the pain when you do have to cancel.

The hotel now tells me that all rates during peak season (Dec 23rd - Jan 10th) are non cancel-able and non-refundable. They even gave this to me in writing. (45 days before arrival - 50% deposit taken from CC // 30 days before arrival - 100% deposit taken non refundable).

I am now disputing this with the hotel manager out of principal as there seems to be a major flaw in their system!? I also don't like people charging my credit card when they are not entitled to do so!

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 6, 2009 at 9:32 am Reason: Earlier reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/972017-le-meridien-khao-lak-thailand-
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:58 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Rambuster
...Any thoughts on this?
They are usually fairly accommodating at this property, but if you don't have any success in speaking with management there, then take the issue up with Hotel Customer Service when you return.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
They are usually fairly accommodating at this property, but if you don't have any success in speaking with management there, then take the issue up with Hotel Customer Service when you return.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Thanks for your input William.
I spoke to the GM of this property and he is looking into this as he is also not happy that their "peak period cancellation policy" is not reflected on the SPG website. They have sent off an email to SPG.

No major actually damage to me, other than having to pay for the stay before I even got there.

I would surely have been a pain though to get my money back should I have cancelled...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very useful report, photos and videos. Thanks!

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I have just finished a stay report about my stay there back in May 07 (on the UGX rate error).

You can read it on my homepage.
I have taken plenty of pictures and two short videos (villa and pool) uploaded. Therefore I recommend a high-speed connection to the internet.

We have been there in May and during this time less than 10 percent of the rooms were occupied. The advantage, it was really quite and we were not only once the only guest using the huge pools. We got 20% off of food and beverage and 25% off of massage treatments. The disadvantage, the nearby restaurant are closed and so are many of the places in Khao Lak town which is 10 minutes by car (or 45 minutes by bike) are also closed.

I would stay there (on a normal rate) for relaxing a few days again.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:15 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Any chance to get a room upgrade as SPG Gold Member and travel agency booking at this hotel?
What do you think?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: spg flying blue
anyone took a holiday with young children?

Planning to take the family 6yr old and 15 month old in late June. Has anyone gone with young children? How is the Kids club?
What about the 2 bedroom beach front villa? I have seen it quoted as presidential villa and that is basically 2 villas joined together by interconnecting door.
On a funny note: it looks like a ghost hotel, in all the pictures and videos I have seen so far, the hotel looks seriously empty! Not a soul!

Last edited by zach; Feb 6, 2008 at 8:50 am
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:39 am

the presidential villa is not 2 villas joined together; it is a fantastic suite with 2 large BRs and Bathrooms on either side of a large LR and kitchen. It may not be the best with a young child, as it has a pool that is a few steps outside the doors.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:45 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by zach
Planning to take the family 6yr old and 15 month old in late June. Has anyone gone with young children? How is the Kids club?
What about the 2 bedroom beach front villa? I have seen it quoted as presidential villa and that is basically 2 villas joined together by interconnecting door.
On a funny note: it looks like a ghost hotel, in all the pictures and videos I have seen so far, the hotel looks seriously empty! Not a soul!
In May it was indeed very empty, app. 10% of the rooms were booked. This means, there is nothing much to do in this area, but if you are in relaxing at the pool, this is okay. Not sure if the beginning summer travel in June / July (which is rain season in this part of Thailand) means the kid club would be open.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:12 am

Khao Lak vs. Krabi

Anybody been to both. Which hotel is nicer. We are going for our honeymoon. I think khao lak looks nicer in the pictures, but maybe Krabi has more to do. I say go to both, but fiancee wants to pick one and not hotel hop.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hindukid
Khao Lak vs. Krabi

Anybody been to both. Which hotel is nicer. We are going for our honeymoon. I think khao lak looks nicer in the pictures, but maybe Krabi has more to do. I say go to both, but fiancee wants to pick one and not hotel hop.
There isn't a huge amount to do in Krabi either unless you take a similar drive or the hotel shuttle bus into town.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: spg flying blue
Originally Posted by cooperhs
the presidential villa is not 2 villas joined together; it is a fantastic suite with 2 large BRs and Bathrooms on either side of a large LR and kitchen. It may not be the best with a young child, as it has a pool that is a few steps outside the doors.
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
In May it was indeed very empty, app. 10% of the rooms were booked. This means, there is nothing much to do in this area, but if you are in relaxing at the pool, this is okay. Not sure if the beginning summer travel in June / July (which is rain season in this part of Thailand) means the kid club would be open.
Many thanks for advise, much appreciated.

Krabi and Phiphi is propably the best best place I have ever been to; outstanding natural beauty
Old Feb 8, 2008, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
There isn't a huge amount to do in Krabi either unless you take a similar drive or the hotel shuttle bus into town.
Actually some of Phuket's (touristy) sea attractions could be accessed from Krabi eg Phi Phi Islands, James Bond Island, Sea Canoe etc Railey Beach (Rock Climbing) is also a short boat ride from Ao Nang.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 1:56 am

Le Meridien Khao Lak: available w/ money but not points

Looking to book from 12/24 to 12/31. Hotel is available at $400 a night but not with points according to spg.com That rate is for the deluxe garden view which I am pretty sure is the lowest room category. Can anybody shed some light as to why this is not bookable with points.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by hindukid
Looking to book from 12/24 to 12/31. Hotel is available at $400 a night but not with points according to spg.com That rate is for the deluxe garden view which I am pretty sure is the lowest room category. Can anybody shed some light as to why this is not bookable with points.
Maybe the rewards have not be loaded yet? Have you called starwood?
Old Feb 9, 2008, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
If standard rooms are available and if the hotel has revenue rates loaded then award rooms should be made available. That it's between Christmas and New Year's shouldn't stand in the way of that. I'd call Starwood and see if they can work it out with the hotel. If they can't they should be able to make a reservation at RACK and convert it to an award stay. If you've exhausted those options I'd then contact Starwood Lurker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.