Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Manufacturers warned by EC that aircraft designs must accommodate disabled passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manufacturers warned by EC that aircraft designs must accommodate disabled passengers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Manufacturers warned by European Commission that aircraft designs must accommodate disabled passengers better

The European Parliament has approved a bill of rights for disabled passengers that makes airport operators responsible for ensuring a minimum level of assistance for all people with reduced mobility, although service provision can be contracted out to third parties.

However, a clause was added to the bill urging carriers to “take into account the needs of disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility when deciding the design of new and newly refurbished aircraft”. The bill’s sponsor, MEP Robert Evans, says he hopes the non-binding clause will ”stimulate debate between airlines and aircraft manufacturers on access, especially for wheelchair passengers.”
http://www.flightinternational.com/A...disabled+.html
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:01 am

I hope they do.

I always was relatively indifferent to handicapped peoples needs until my friend got ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or Lou Gehrigs Disease) and ended up in a wheelchair. It was a real problem to take him almost anywhere. Needless to say I have much, much more understanding and deeper compassion for the issue now.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. When will the EC mandate that any of their public buildings accomodate the disabled? Or any of their subway systems? The EC is 30 years behind the power curve on disabled access. I guess you have to start somewhere, so of course they start with private manufacturers, the major one of which is a U.S. company, rather than start with their own governments who are the major offenders.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:01 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by gemac
Interesting. When will the EC mandate that any of their public buildings accomodate the disabled? Or any of their subway systems?
I presume that you don't come here very much. These regulations were done a long time ago. I cannot think of a public building that has not been constructed new, or adapted, without disabled access.

As far as underground transport goes, all recent projects (eg London's Jubilee Line extension) have incorporated wheelchair lifts from the beginning. The cost of retro-fitting this to the infrastructure is very large.

As of this month every bus in London is now wheelchair accessible, the whole fleet has been replaced over about the last 8 years, again at great cost.

By the way, my own local bus route (London route 101 for those knowledgeable) was one of the first adapted, new buses and alterations at all the bus stops, all ceremonially opened by the mayor of the time. In the 10 years since this was all done I have never, ever, seen a wheelchair passenger on the route.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
By the way, my own local bus route (London route 101 for those knowledgeable) was one of the first adapted, new buses and alterations at all the bus stops, all ceremonially opened by the mayor of the time. In the 10 years since this was all done I have never, ever, seen a wheelchair passenger on the route.
Whenever I see a comment like this, I get very tired and depressed. I'm a wheelchair user and I do take busses (not in London, although I'm tempted to come, look you up, and have you go on a little trip with me). Trust me, we're out there. As the population ages, you'll see more of us. Please don't write off accessibility improvements as unneeded because you haven't happened to notice anyone taking advantage of them.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:16 am

Yes we do

As the song goes, "well I've never been to London ..." but I have used public transit in cities where I live and where I have traveled, with a child that uses a wheelchair. In several cases, conditions were not what was advertised. Like Katja says, wheelchair users of public transit are out there. They're in London too. I suspect there will only be more as the world becomes more universally accessible and people can count on getting where they are going after they get off the bus or train or plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.