Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arizona Biltmore -- any good?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Arizona Biltmore -- any good?

I'm staying at the Arizona Biltmore in PHX for an upcoming conference. Sounds like it's a pretty big place, and the tripadvisor reviews are less-than-stellar. Is there a particular area where the standard rooms are better?

Also, any particular part of the resort I should check out or avoid?
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:56 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
I can't give you any info as a guest, but I'd be glad to answer any questions about the neighborhood as I live in walking distance from the Biltmore. One of the Biltmore concierges lives next door to me, but again, I'll let others who have stayed there give input as guests.

As far as other hotels in the immediate area, there's an Embassy Suites, Ritz Carlton, and a Courtyard- again, in walking distance, plus some Suite property (Springhill?) a couple blocks farther. The Phoenecian resort is up the street, and IIRC, it's tied to one of the chains (Starwood?) but I'm not sure which.

Do let me know when you're in town and I'll see if I can round up other FTers for dinner.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by themicah
I'm staying at the Arizona Biltmore in PHX for an upcoming conference. Sounds like it's a pretty big place, and the tripadvisor reviews are less-than-stellar. Is there a particular area where the standard rooms are better?

Also, any particular part of the resort I should check out or avoid?
I didn't check out the reviews, but I've also attended conferences at the Biltmore and had no complaints. It's a relatively large place (but so are the JW Marriott and the Scottsdale Princess), so I've never minded. It's not Opryland big, so I think you'll find it manageable. Location-wise, rooms in the main building are the best. That's what I've always requested, mostly so I can be on top of most of the activities. Rooms facing the courtyard are also best, in my opinion.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
Do let me know when you're in town and I'll see if I can round up other FTers for dinner.
Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately I'm only there for two nights and will likely be busy the whole time. But we'll see...
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:43 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Last year one of the local malls had a promotion involving a free nite at the Biltmore. We spent 2 nites there a few months ago. I'm not overly finicky or critical, we usually stay in 3-4 star properties.

Sorry to say, we were fairly unimpressed with the Arizona Biltmore. We stayed in an OK room in the Paradise Wing, at the "back" with a view of the spa buildings. The room was acceptable, the usual amenities, subdued decor, no complaints. Service was spotty, we had a drink one evening in the lobby bar and the sitting area was stiflingly hot, the waitress remarked, "yeah, the a/c here is not good." Menu prices at all the restaurants are very high, but that's the norm at any local resort. The spa facilities are very disappointing, there was an article in the paper recently that the Biltmore is waaaay behind the spa trend with old and small facilities. I believe they have hired a new spa manager to upgrade the spa.

On the plus side, the resort has wonderful Frank Lloyd Wright-type architecture, with a unique concrete block construction. The grounds are very pretty. There are several swimming pools, I believe the "Catalina" is the one tiled in hues of yellow and blue, the tiles were produced by the Wrigley family tileworks on Catalina Island. This pool is said to have been Marilyn Monroe's favorite. Another plus is the historical display in the hallway between the grill restaurant and the main lobby. There are many old photos and newspaper articles about the heyday of the resort when it was a Hollywood favorite. The Aztec room is near the front entrance, a wonderful space, it was the site for John McCain's wedding reception. The conference center venue is new and on the west side of the resort. I had lunch there recently at a meeting, the food was very good for banquet-style fare.

Overall, the resort is nice and you will be fine there for your conference. As VJ says above, the geographical area around the Biltmore is great, with the Biltmore Fashion Park, an upscale outdoor mall nearby (free shuttle from the resort). There is a cinema multiplex across the street (on Camelback Road) from the mall. There are several good restaurant choices within the mall and my local favorite, Eddie Matney's.. [boo hoo hoo, a kitchen fire in Dec. 2005 at Eddie Matney's closed the restaurant indefinitely, frown frown frown]

If I were traveling to Phoenix on my own dime I would not book the Arizona Biltmore. In the Phoenix-Scottsdale area the premier large resorts are the Phoenician, Fairmont Princess, Boulders, the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Westin Kierland, and Marriott Camelback Inn. The Royal Palms is a smaller property, a very upscale resort. Geographically, the following are in the Camelback Road area: Biltmore, Ritz Carlton (not a resort), Phoenician, and Royal Palms. The Camelback Inn is about 5 miles northeast of Camelback Road. The other mentioned resorts are in far north Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Last edited by Dianne47; Jan 5, 2006 at 11:22 am Reason: Eddie Matney's Restaurant now closed - so sad
Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Biltmore is fine, not bad but not in any way special.

On my own dime I'd stay at the Sanctuary at Camelback Mountain.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:44 pm

Stayed there a few years ago and have to say it was a good experience. The room was in a building in the back, near some gardens, top floor, big balcony. I believe it was an upper-tier guestroom, at least 500 sq. ft. Nice details, solid feel.

I've seen the poor reviews on tripadviser and am surprised, although perhaps the service was not particularly warm.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 6:34 am

Programs: aa e-plat 3 mm; ca plat; spg plat; hilton dia
15+ Biltmore stays

I like the property, it is clean, well suited as a luxury property...great gym and spa...we usually stay in the villas out back, they are well appointed have close proximity to smaller poools that are not overrun and the food and service are solid for a 4 star property, and the location close to downtown Phoenix is awesome, the reason we stay there as I have work downtown and my wife and children follow me

I will say though, as soon as my work concludes if we want to stay longer we head out of the Biltmore and over to the Phoenician (starwood Plat - free rooms/upgrades) or if we are feeling flush up to the 4 seasons, even thoughour last stay there was just ok. We tried the Westin Kierland in October and our girls LOVED it, and I must admit for a conference hotel it was nice, I would choose that over the Biltmore as well

Others have mentioned the sanctuary and I am sure others would recommend Royal Palms as well but I just cant get over the motel kind of feel, but I am not one for the boutique hip hotels, I like big rooms with big bathrooms and remember my name service over well appointed, minamilist design, snooty attitude but we are hanging with teh celebs type of experience.

But hey, I am an old guy with teenagers, what do I know (or at least I am told daily I dont understand anything)

Last edited by carlyle; Dec 25, 2005 at 6:37 am
Old Dec 25, 2005, 6:22 pm

[QUOTE=carlyle]I like the property, it is clean, well suited as a luxury property...great gym and spa.../QUOTE]

Great spa? I was not very impressed in the men's portion of the spa. Pretty tired looking. Seemed more like something you would find in an average gym. Admission was included in the resort fee.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I have had three stays over the years, last 2 yrs. ago. If you have any interest in architecture, then the place is very special. It is a unique design and layout in an almost slavish adherence to Frank Lloyd Wright's style--being 70 years old it doesn't have the latest spa equipment, but there is a timeless quality instead.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I wouldn't recommend the Biltmore. Like the Phoenician, it's just too big and spread out. I tend to prefer the smaller, intimate properties.

Highly recommend the Sanctuary. Gorgeous place with great views of Brokeback Mountain. Jennifer Aniston and her beau were recent guests there too.

If you need to be in the Biltmore area, I'd also recommend the Ritz Carlton over the AZ Biltmore.

Psst. The turkey cranberry sandwich at the nearby Coffee Plantation place is divine!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately I don't have a choice about where to stay. Luckily, I'm not paying for it.

Guess I'll find out for myself tomorrow when I get there.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Nado
Highly recommend the Sanctuary. Gorgeous place with great views of Brokeback Mountain. Jennifer Aniston and her beau were recent guests there too.
I think you mean Camelback Mountain. I wish there were a luxury hotel on Brokeback!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:33 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, I like the place!

Mark
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm in my room in the Valley Wing of the Arizona Biltmore right now. I don't have time for a full review, but my observations:
  • Conference services have been very good. I'm here with my company for a training retreat, and although their demands aren't anything extraordinary, everything has run well--at least from my perspective as a guest/participant (not an organizer). All the A/V stuff (powerpoint, mics, etc.) has worked without any visible fiddling, the food has been of decent quality and impeccable timing.
  • Our rooms here in the Valley Wing aren't really anything special. They're nice and big, the beds are comfy and the furniture solid, but the overall feel is only a notch above a typical 3* Sheraton or Hilton. Everything is very generic looking, with dim flourescent lighting, a low-flow showerhead in the standard sized shower-bath combo, a cheap 27" tube TV, etc. The view is of other wings of the hotel and pool areas. No mountains or desert in sight.

Otherwise, I don't have all that much to report. The main building does have some interesting architectural flourishes, and the grounds are pleasant, with a bonfire set up in the evenings in the main courtyard. But I'm certainly not blown away.

Conclusion: a good quality pleasant place to stay, but certainly not worth getting too excited about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.