Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Emergency Exit Slide - Anyone been down one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Ok, odd question (hope this is the right place to post), but am just curious... they look awfully steep

... if you have been down one (evacuation/drill/training), what was it like? I would imagine that perception could vary considerably depending on reason for using one - i.e. a real evacuation would be terrifying...

Boo
Old Dec 24, 2005, 3:20 am

Programs: I wish!
Yep, been down an A320 and a 747 (bottom deck) slide at the the BA centre in Crawley. Much less scary than bungee jumping!

If you're wondering about an evacuation, I wouldn't worry. In the event it did happen, you would be pushed out the door by the crew and panicking passengers before you had the chance to worry about it!
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:23 pm

so much for the SAFETY demonstration at the beginning of the flight
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Slides

Well, not including training -

Twice. Once in 747-200 from the Upper Deck and the second in a 727 from door 2. Both while a FA. The biggest advice I can ever offer passengers - take off pantyhose! A few ankle injuries on the 747; but, the hose burns were horrible on a few that did not heed the advice.

Last edited by mjcasta; Dec 28, 2005 at 10:07 pm
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, interesting.

Wasn't aware of the "pantyhose" friction burn problem . Still, I suppose, in an emergency it is probably the least of your worries...

The Upper Deck of a 747 is particularly interesting - seems so much higher than the main deck (and the slides, at least on the diagrams, appear much more scarey).

Think you are right - before you have a chance to worry about height/steepness, you are pushed down the things.

In a real emergency are there every problems with people landing on top of each other (i.e. going down the slide too close together)?

Boo
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
did one in the late 60's as a volunteer for a ua exercise.[stretch dc8 iirc], piece of cake....just a little jump and a quick slide, then up out of the way...

almost did another in early 70's.....club america, a travel org who chartered planes for member trips [went on a few], decided to buy their own plane, a 720.....they hired 2 pilots, 2 fa's [i think] and needed an evacuation drill for certification...a bunch of us volunteered to participate....when the 1st person jumped on one of the slides, it ripped, so,with the confusion, the inspector stopped at some pre ordained time and the plane was certified for only the number who got out....i was still on board....

the rest of the story,,,,the club was to put on another test after repairs....the pilots finished their training and quit...and things went downhill fast, with the club going under....
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Stacking Up

People tumbling into each other

Well, this is a huge issue and why FA's are suppose to monitor who sits in an exit row. First, maybe 10% of the people in the rows will be able to perform the job required. Even just to open the door without a deer in the headlights look. The first people down the slide are suppose to stay and assist people as they come down. Catch and release. Stop their slide and point them to the egress direction.

Recently read a report that evacuation of a civilian aircraft occurs once a day. So, I guess not as uncommon as many think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.