Reload this Page >

Best food in SAT

Best food in SAT

Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:43 pm
jab
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA, PLT Marriott
Best food in SAT

Going to have a conference at the Riverwalk in about a month and was wondering where the best food was close to the RW. I have been very underwhelemed with the food that is available on the river.

TIA,

JAB
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jab
Going to have a conference at the Riverwalk in about a month and was wondering where the best food was close to the RW. I have been very underwhelemed with the food that is available on the river.
Other than Boudro's, the Riverwalk's food is incredibly disappointing. We locals generally avoid it like the plague.

Depending on your budget, Le Reve is generally considered to be the best restaurant in San Antonio and one of the best in all of Texas.

Biga on the Banks is also highly regarded.

Acenar has good contemporary Tex-Mex.

Bohanan's is a nice steakhouse with an exceptional chicken fried steak.

Just south of downtown, Rosario's is a fine Tex-Mex place with the best salsa in the city. Very popular, but worth a visit. Rosario's also has an airport outpost in Terminal 2, but it is very much inferior to its big brother on Alamo Street.

My absolute favorite Tex-Mex restaurant, about a 10 minute drive north of downtown on Broadway, is Paloma Blanca. It is easily accessible on your way to or from the airport (in fact, with rush hour traffic on 281, Broadway is often a faster and easier option between the airport and downtown). Paloma Blanca's roasted garlic tomato salsa is second only to Rosario's and its enchiladas verdes and vanilla tres leches cake are second to none. A can't-miss restaurant if you have a rental car or don't mind the cab ride.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Dec 31, 2005 at 12:26 am
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I'm going to be in SAT for a few days next month for my parents' 50th anniversary (don't ask). We're staying at Amerisuites (please don't ask). Is there a restaurant that anyone can recommend for a celebratory dinner of about 10 people, with 2 small kids? The parents are pretty white-bread, so I'm thinking a traditional place, not tex-mex (which we'll sample plenty of from the list above on our own).

What about BBQ?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
I'm going to be in SAT for a few days next month for my parents' 50th anniversary (don't ask). We're staying at Amerisuites (please don't ask). Is there a restaurant that anyone can recommend for a celebratory dinner of about 10 people, with 2 small kids? The parents are pretty white-bread, so I'm thinking a traditional place, not tex-mex (which we'll sample plenty of from the list above on our own).

What about BBQ?
Which Amerisuites? Riverwalk, Jones Maltsberger, or Crossroads?

Rudy's Bar-B-Q is the best but it is informal (you get in line, pick up your food, and seat yourself) and is would be a fairly lengthy drive to either Leon Springs or Selma so I'm not sure if it is what you want.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP

What about BBQ?
A group of us had some wonderful BBQ and Margaritas at County Line. Paging fredmartens
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Here I go asking a question and then forget to come back. Stupid me. :ashamed:

We're at the Amerisuites Northwest (wherever that is). Someone on the tripadvisor SAT board suggested doing a dinner cruise on the river. I'm having a hard time coming up with someone who's equipped to do it for such a small group, though. Acenar will do it for a $1000 minimum (I really didn't want to spend that much but might if I had to) and Boudro's might be able to do something like that, but with other people on the same boat. Eh.

I'm big on the dinner cruise idea...that will be sure to bring lots of oohs and aahs from the parents. I just have to figure out how to make it work.

Who will be my hero and figure this out?
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:01 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Here I go asking a question and then forget to come back. Stupid me. :ashamed:

We're at the Amerisuites Northwest (wherever that is). Someone on the tripadvisor SAT board suggested doing a dinner cruise on the river. I'm having a hard time coming up with someone who's equipped to do it for such a small group, though. Acenar will do it for a $1000 minimum (I really didn't want to spend that much but might if I had to) and Boudro's might be able to do something like that, but with other people on the same boat. Eh.

I'm big on the dinner cruise idea...that will be sure to bring lots of oohs and aahs from the parents. I just have to figure out how to make it work.

Who will be my hero and figure this out?
Just something to consider...none of these boats...at least none that I've seen or been on...has a covering. Unless they do, the potential for pigeon poop on your tacos is quite high, so you might want to make this point part of your inquiries somewhere along the way.

I usually carry a bandana for the tourists from Minnesota who get crapped on during the boat tours. Invariably, they try to return it to me, whereupon I reply, "No thanks. Keep it as a souvenir."

My favorite Mexican food restaurant in SAT is Mi Tierra's. My favorite BBQ restaurant in SAT is the County Line.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:38 pm

Anyone eating at any of these SAT restaurants?

We are starting our first of three visits to Texas to earn the 60K bonus with AA. Will be in SAT two weekends and the following restaurants are offering double points in the iDine program. Can anyone give any feedback...

Andrea's Mexcian Restaurant
El Torreon Restaurant
Las Palapas Restaurant
Bar II (night club)

Our other visit is in Austin, so looking for feedback on these as well:

Copa Bar & Grill
Hickory Street Bar & Grill
Ninfa's Mexican Restaurant
Bayou Cajun Cafe

Thank you,

Yamonjon
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:12 pm

I believe that the only Ninfa's in Austin was the one on 6th that closed last year, so definitely cross that one off your Austin list. Can't offer any input on the other options, sorry.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yamonjon
We are starting our first of three visits to Texas to earn the 60K bonus with AA. Will be in SAT two weekends and the following restaurants are offering double points in the iDine program. Can anyone give any feedback...

Andrea's Mexcian Restaurant
El Torreon Restaurant
Las Palapas Restaurant
Bar II (night club)
Bar 11 is a good place to have a drink. And a great place to rack up iDine points at an office happy hour if you pick up the tab. I certainly wouldn't plan on eating there, however. It is fairly easy to find right across from North Star Mall.

Las Palapas is a fairly uninspiring low budget TexMex chain. Not worth a visit.

Can't help you with the other two.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by MMMinTX
I believe that the only Ninfa's in Austin was the one on 6th that closed last year, so definitely cross that one off your Austin list. Can't offer any input on the other options, sorry.
Isn't there another one on Research Blvd. near 135 across the street from the Red Lobster?

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by yamonjon
...Our other visit is in Austin, so looking for feedback on these as well:

Copa Bar & Grill
Hickory Street Bar & Grill
Ninfa's Mexican Restaurant
Bayou Cajun Cafe

Thank you,

Yamonjon
Hickory Street Bar & Grill was an interesting hole in the wall type place downtown. They used to have these huge spuds - I mean these things were so big they looked like a Texas A&M science experiment - that you could load up with various toppings.

Haven't been to any of the others on your list, but Ninfa's kind of falls into the category of most chain Mexican food restaurants. You can do a lot better than this. My favorite Mexican food place in Austin is Chuy's, but there are even a lot better, more authentic places on the East Side.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Chuy's on San Pedro near intersection 1604.

Best tex mex especially during the green chili festival ^
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Isn't there another one on Research Blvd. near 135 across the street from the Red Lobster?
oops, you're right! There is still a location at Anderson Lane and 183. But I would agree that the best Tex Mex in town could be found on the East Side (I like Nuevo Leon on E 6th)
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by MMMinTX
oops, you're right! There is still a location at Anderson Lane and 183. But I would agree that the best Tex Mex in town could be found on the East Side (I like Nuevo Leon on E 6th)
El Azteca is my favorite on the East Side, but I've heard good things about Nuevo Leon, so I'm going to have to give that a try.

I guess we veered a little off-topic, no?

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.