Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

For those who've stayed there: Westin Horton Plaza or W SAN ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world

For those who've stayed at each property.......

I have a stay coming up in 10 days in SAN. Just staying one night before a cruise. Will have a total of 24 hours on the ground in SAN only, so little time for sightseeing.

I have reservations at the W, but availability just opened up (after months of none) at the Westin Horton Plaza.

We will not want to be on site much as we'll want to get out an enjoy as much of the city as we can prior to sailing time.

Thoughts/comments?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Westin Horton Plaza is right next to Horton Plaza and behind the hotel is the Gaslamp District, hence you would have endless dining options at your doorstep. The Historic Bus Tour also stop right in front of Horton Plaza, very convenient for sightseeing. You cant find a more perfect location for a tourist to stay in San Diego.

We only had one day in SAN and didnt regret changing our reservation from the W to the Westin Horton Plaza despite the W being "better value" on an award stay (both are Category 4 )
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Life Plat, Marriott Life Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, Hilton/Hyatt Diamond, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
Westin Horton Plaza is right next to Horton Plaza and behind the hotel is the Gaslamp District, hence you would have endless dining options at your doorstep... You cant find a more perfect location for a tourist to stay in San Diego.
I agree that the Westin Horton Plaza is quite convenient to Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp District. But the W is only a few blocks away; it was hardly a strenuous walk.

It's been a couple of years since I last stayed at that Westin, but I found it to be a pleasant, modern, and comfortable hotel. Nothing about it made me go, "Oooh, wow!" But I'd be quite happy to stay there again. However, we didn't care at all for the restaurant (I've had better breakfasts at Denny's), though there are plenty of other good places to eat around there. And for some reason on my last stay, the people in housekeeping just couldn't get it into their thick skulls that we'd arranged with the front desk for a late check-out; they phoned something like 3 or 4 times asking if they could make up the room, which was quite annoying considering we were trying to have a quiet, relaxing in-room massage at the time.

I just stayed at the W a couple of weeks ago, and found it similarly pleasant, modern, and comfortable. The staff was quite friendly and welcoming. There were cookies and "white hot chocolate" available at the front desk during check-in. The room definitely had a beach motif decor, which some people have criticized as feeling cheap, but which I found playful. My only complaint about the room was the silly "open shower" design in the bathroom (which I've also encounters at W - Times Square) that in my experience ends up getting most of the bathroom floor wet during a shower. I was disappointed to find that their "Beach" outdoor lounge area was closed for remodeling when I visited, as I'd been curious about it. I enjoyed a great breakfast at their restaurant, Rice, and would look forward to trying dinner there sometime.

So for me, it'd be almost a coin flip. I think all things being equal, I personally might stay at the W rather than the Westin. But if you're going to be spending most of your time around Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp District, you'd find the Westin more convenient.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:15 pm

Stayed in both in recent times and absolutely prefer Westin. Although ceteris parabus, I tend to prefer the W chain, and as Westins go, I'd rate this one about average, but nonetheless, Westin comes out on top, mostly due to location.

My guess is that you'd be happy in either place, though.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:21 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The Westin is in a bit better location, however, the W is a better hotel.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:22 pm

Programs: Gold Preferred SPG, AA, A West, Air Tahiti Nui,Delta,Us Airways, United
Originally Posted by sbtinme
For those who've stayed at each property.......

I have a stay coming up in 10 days in SAN. Just staying one night before a cruise. Will have a total of 24 hours on the ground in SAN only, so little time for sightseeing.

I have reservations at the W, but availability just opened up (after months of none) at the Westin Horton Plaza.

We will not want to be on site much as we'll want to get out an enjoy as much of the city as we can prior to sailing time.

Thoughts/comments?
I spent 10 days in the Westin HP and it was just OK. The W however was really hip and cool....they are a much better property and both are pretty close to each other. Downtown isn't like NYC things are pretty close together. The bar upstairs at the W is on the roof and has heated sand for you to stick your toes in while you have a drink and look out over the city. I vote for the W.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Decision was made today......the W it is. If anything worth noting happens while I'm there, I'll post a trip review here.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
The Westin is in a bit better location, however, the W is a better hotel.
I couldn't agree more...and the W is only a few blocks from the Westin. Its an easy walk.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:39 pm

Location: ORD; AA Exec Plat (MM), SPG Plat (Lifetime Plt), other minor status
Haven't stayed at the SD W in a year, so perhaps the crowd has moved on, but one thing to consider is if you're there on a weekend night, the lobby lounge can be packed with people there for the evening. Shortly after check-in, one of the bell boys had to run up a pair of bracelets (those disposable paper things bars like to use) for my wife and me to wear later that night. Basically, there was a line of people waiting to get into the lobby when we returned to the hotel that night and the bouncers definitely required us to show our bracelets and key card to enter the lobby without waiting in the line. IIRC, when we went to the upstairs sand bar, they even checked our bracelet for entrance. Though it was a bit noisy by the elevators, I don't remember being bothered by noise back in our higher-floor room above the main hotel entrance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.