Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Charlotte Ballantyne [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charlotte Ballantyne [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:25 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Arrow Charlotte Ballantyne [Master Thread]

I know that this hotel will be joining the *wood group as a Luxury Collection property- anyone have any experience with it?

Chris
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:52 am

Haven't ever stayed there, but I did pack my Mother off there for a spa weekend last December. It's a nice property, and will fit in well with the LC. Rooms are a bit smallish but tastefully decorated with heavy dark wood furniture and nice artwork. My immediate reaction on entering the room was "JW Marriott"...if that means anything to you. For the holidays, there was a huge Christmas tree displayed in the atrium.

The property has an extensive spa with indoor pool, sauna, and whilrpool. Mom enjoyed a massage at the spa while she was there, and there was a very esxstensive "menu" of spa treatments available. There was a fine looking golf course behind the hotel, although not many brave souls were out playing in December!

At least two nice restaurants and one bar. Mom's rate included daily buffet breakfast at the "Grill Room" which had the expected array of items. There was a fine-dining restaurant called "Traditions" where Mom had dinner one night (and reported a good meal), as well as a very nice lounge overlooking the golf course where I had a drink while she was getting checked out.

Location is far south Charlotte (almost South Carolina), in a quiet area close to I-485. Lots of free self parking, and I do remember also seeing valets around. Pretty good service from what I saw and my Mom reported. A couple of chain restaurants in the vicinity, and one of the nicer malls in Charlotte (South Park) is nearby...Mom went over to finish up her Christmas shopping during her stay.

IIRC the rate was expensive for Charlotte but reasonable for a spa...perhaps $150 per night. Mom certainly enjoyed her stay.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:47 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I stayed there once, and I'd say DFW DL 's description is about right, though I don't recall thinking of the room as "smallish." I do remember the dark wood and the impression that this hotel got all the small things right better than most I've been to. I remember a positive feeling of comfort, rather than an absence of irritation.

Don't know if I'll get back there, but I'm glad to know it'll be a Starwood property.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
Luxury Collection Charlotte Ballantyne Resort [Master Thread]

ok - im considering staying at the ballantyne resort in charlotte over new years - it is $169 a night with AAA rate... I am gold...

Will I get an upgraded room? I don't know how this works at the resorts.

Also - anyone know of any deals? The only thing I saw was the wedding package for $5 more which gets you champagne, free breakfast and late checkout. I might do that

Thanks,
Allen
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:46 am

When I stayed there recently as a Gold, I was upgraded from a parking-lot-view room. I had a choice of a room on the top or next-to-top floor on the golf course side, or a room on the "first" floor on the golf course side, with a balcony. I chose the upper floor, but if I had the same choice again I might choose the balcony, because the "first" floor rooms are still considerably elevated above ground level on that side of the building. Of course, that was during warmer weather, too.

And as always, ymmv.

And if the extra $5 gets you a free breakfast at the breakfast buffet rather than a room service continental breakfast, that's a good deal. I think they charge about $13 or so for the breakfast buffet, but it's still a pretty good deal even at that price.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Nov 23, 2005 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:08 pm

Thumbs down Charlotte Ballantyne Resort [Master Thread]

Made a reservation for 12/30-1/2 at the Charlotte Ballantyne resort - first time as a gold status so was looking forward to seeing if i get an upgrade.

On check-in was told no suites available, so I asked for free internet. She said ok. So I was happy.

Went to the room, 531 - overlooking the public golf course - watched a few people miss by a few inches @:-)

Room was decorated nicely - garden tub and stall shower.

The walls are paper thin - and all night you could hear doors slamming and people talking in the hallway - esp. the parents who let their kids run up and down the hallway all night.

I took the Orange Juice from the minibar as I felt (and still am) quite sick. The charge showed $4.00. Upon checkout i was charged $5.16. I inquired and they said there is a 20% service charge on taking this item. EXCUSE ME? is charging 3x more than even a 7-11 not enough? Frankly this has left a horrible taste in my mouth. I hate places that just rip you off to rip you off.

I called tonight and was told basically - "you should have read the card" - guess i wont be staying there anymore.

overall i give this resort a 5/10, 9/10 for the room itself, and 4/10 for everything else.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:07 am

Expecting a suite upgrade as a Gold is a bit much, especially as I believe this property doesn't have a relatively high number of suites. The appropriate Gold upgrade here is a room on the golf course side, upgraded from one on the parking lot side. If you got free internet on top of that, you're ahead of the game.

I haven't experienced disruptive noise levels in two stays there, but obviously that also depends on what goes on in the adjacent rooms and hallway. I may have simply been lucky.

But a 20% service charge on top of already exhorbitant mini-bar prices does seem a bit usurious. "Should've read the card" says to me that they're intentionally trying to hide the charge and then play "gotcha," when it would be just as easy to include the "service charge" in the item's price if it were truly necessary. Then again, it's the kind of thing I have come to expect from just about any hotel, and is why I absolutely avoid mini-bars, the hotel phone system, and usually, room service, except in dire circumstances (such as the one you report). I wonder... was there no OJ option in the vending machine?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
This is one of those reviews that sort of makes me mad. It's like what I find, too often, over at tripadvisor.com where a poster will go on and on about the great pools, staff, quality of rooms, location, etc, and then slam the property for one rude bar attendant and give them a 3/10 rating. Just nuts.

Helena is correct that asking for a suite as a Gold member is out of the question and getting wireless comped is far above and beyond anyone's realistic expectations.

We can all agree that minibar prices anywhere are outrageous and that's why I steer clear of them completely. To slam this hotel for that reason alone seems irresponsible.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:55 am

Actually if you re-read my review above, you will see the scores I provided - and I would do the same on TA. Typically when I am treated poorly by one hotel employee, I don't hold this against the entire property.

I actually am quite sick now and the orange juice seemed to help a little bit - there was no vending machine on the 5th floor, and I guess I was too sick to even think to check another floor.

I do still believe the walls are paper thin and for a brand new "resort" -- one of SPG's luxury hotels, this is not acceptable.

As for the room upgrade, since I booked the highest end regular room, I was not expecting an upgrade. however from all of you here, I was told to ask. Actually I would rather have free internet over any upgrade... ok, except for the le grand in paris, that junior suite was awesome!

Once I post the review on TA - I will post a link so you can see how fair I am with the reviews.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: Starwood V1, Delta Gold
Ballentyne

My experience was all positive and did not notice any of the noise issues, although I was upgraded to the Presidential Suite

The staff there in general was terrific, namely Chadi, Patricia ^ and Shalini even though I don't look like a high-rollin, rolls driv'n SVP (at 33).

My only disappointment was that you had to smoke outside - not appropriate in the winter with a premium cigar.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta
Actually, I agree that reading your review gives the impression of "slamming" the resort because of an orange juice. I have stayed there many times and truly enjoy the property. The employees seem wonderful and are everywhere, they aim to please. Good F&B, excellent Spa. No hotel would survive if all were based on your mini-bar litmis test!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by allen074
Made a reservation for 12/30-1/2 at the Charlotte Ballantyne resort - first time as a gold status so was looking forward to seeing if i get an upgrade.

On check-in was told no suites available, so I asked for free internet. She said ok. So I was happy.

Went to the room, 531 - overlooking the public golf course - watched a few people miss by a few inches @:-)

Room was decorated nicely - garden tub and stall shower.

The walls are paper thin - and all night you could hear doors slamming and people talking in the hallway - esp. the parents who let their kids run up and down the hallway all night.

I took the Orange Juice from the minibar as I felt (and still am) quite sick. The charge showed $4.00. Upon checkout i was charged $5.16. I inquired and they said there is a 20% service charge on taking this item. EXCUSE ME? is charging 3x more than even a 7-11 not enough? Frankly this has left a horrible taste in my mouth. I hate places that just rip you off to rip you off.

I called tonight and was told basically - "you should have read the card" - guess i wont be staying there anymore.

overall i give this resort a 5/10, 9/10 for the room itself, and 4/10 for everything else.

Actually I pretty much agree with these ratings. Service is very, very amateurish. Certainly the worst I have seen in a LC property, more in line with a Sheraton.

The rooms are very attractive and bathrooms large. I was not upgraded from Grand Deluxe (which is a standard room with golf view) which is what I booked. They claimed to have upgraded me.

Mattress is very firm which is to my liking, but sheets are not that great and there were only foam pillows in the room until I called for them to be switched to down. There is a lot of noise from the hallways night and day.

Housekeeping is pretty good, with ice service at night and constant replenishment of used tolietries (which are Gilchrist and Soames.)

Plat amenity was a posh looking but very average tasting box of (4) Belgian chocolates.

F&B is of very good but not great quality. I thought prices were quite reasonable for quality offered, but again service very amateur.

The attractive, unworn rooms are really the only thing in any way luxury here.

I still think there is way, way too much variation in quality between LC properties...one has no idea what to expect. I would rate them as follows based on the LC properties I have stayed in:

1. Phoenician, Scottsdale (by a mile)
2. Palace, Madrid
3. US Grant, San Diego (absolutely outstanding beds and linens)
4. Palace, SF
5. Ballantyne, Charlotte

As I look up at that list, I would be happy to return to any of the properties. HOWEVER, service is an issue at 2, 3, 4, and 5. Room size is a big issue at 2, 3, and 4 unless one gets upgraded. Plat recognition is a problem at 2 and 5.

The Phoenician continues to be one of my very favorite SPG hotels and I find it hard to believe that SPG throws it into the same brand as the ballantyne resort.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:36 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Is this still a resort? It seems that the resort name has been dropped and it's now just being called "The Ballantyne" but it still shows resort on the header of the page.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:28 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Is this still a resort? It seems that the resort name has been dropped and it's now just being called "The Ballantyne" but it still shows resort on the header of the page.
As far as Starwood NAD is concerned, this is a luxury hotel in a suburban location, not a resort.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:24 pm

The hotel is the same. They dropped the name "resort" because they thought the term "resort" would garner un-justified attention from the media / congress / etc when a company holds an event there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.