Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will I End Up Being “Bumped”? Strategies, Advice and Compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I End Up Being “Bumped”? Strategies, Advice and Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2001, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Formula for bump compensation?

Recently in PVD we put our names on the list to bump on a potentially oversold flight. As it happened, the flight went out almost full & nobody was needed.

But in the process the gate agent told us that we were being offered $600 credit each, since the backup flights we preferred would arrive over 5 hours after our original schedule, and they would give us $100 per hour or fraction.

Has anybody else heard this? I had thought the procedure was for the agent to start offering an amount they believed would motivate bumpees, and then increase it as necessary, until enough volunteers were found, & then everybody got the highest amount.

If this is a new system, it does give the airline a chance to rank offers by cost to them, which might explain why he didn't mind we chose the longer arrival offer (in order to avoid ASA); but that would obviate any possible preferences for Medallions, as has previously been discussed here.

And it might avoid giving everybody the highest amount if Delta really had to sweeten the pot to get the last volunteer or two.

Or perhaps there is just a lot of discretion here by the Gate Agent? He was a pretty senior fellow.

Maybe our new friend DALe has some knowledge?

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 9:30 am

I don't work for DL, but have bumped off at least 20 times.

I don't believe there is any formula. It appears to be totally at the whim of the gate agents involved. Last weekend, I volunteered 60 minutes before my flight's departure time and was bumped for $350.00 in DL Dollars. Next gate, the flight started out at flight time with $500 offers, then $750, then $1,000. I understand that overseas flights from JFK start at $750 and that $1,000 is not uncommon. There are several smaller southern towns where they try $150 (which usually fails), then $250 and then $350 up to $500.

I also understand that flights with a college student crowd means lower offers than a flight with businessmen on it. $150 to a college student is a LOT of money and it does motivate them, even if it means overnighting (in a free hotel room).

I just don't think there is any formula to it.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 9:43 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
It all depends on the gate agent. I often volunteered on my trips, but only had luck once. I had the following experiences:

- If you are travelling domestic, the offer is usually $200 - $300. In rare situations (next flight you can be confirmed on several hours away), the offer goes up.
- If you are travelling international/transatlantic, the offer usually starts at $500 or $800.
- Transatlantic flights originating in the U.S. are regularly overbooked. Some people posted that it can be overbooked by up to 40 people!
- Upgrades: The gate agents can give you an upgrade at their discretion. If you get it depends on your Medallion status, the route you are travelling (being bumped off a domestic flight will usually NOT give you an upgrade on a connecting international segment) and how full the flight you're being confirmed on is (if it is full, they reward you with an upgrade for helping them out).
- If you are travelling international and volunteer at a domestic flight, there are some gate agents who do not want to go through the whole baggage thing or do not know how to handle it. If you have to deal with such a person, you volunteering is a no-no except they are REALLY desperate. (Happened to me in LAX).
Old Mar 10, 2001, 10:30 am
Original Member

I'd guess it is discretion of gate agent in conjunction with pressure for on-time departure, management oversight, etc (thought process of...let's see, I'm overbooked by 5 but the flight was late getting in, therefore I don't have much time to get everyone boarded, I'm going to give a high $$ to get it over with VERSUS flight was in 25 minutes early, everything buttoned up 25 mins before departure, let's go low and I can always increase later on.

jl
Old Mar 10, 2001, 11:49 am

The best offer I have ever heard personally was on a IND-ATL (~ 400 miles). Once we were all inside the plane and seated, the agent announced they needed 4 volunteers and they'd pay $ 1200 each. I didn't hear any announcements at the gate before boarding. Needless to say, inspite of sitting in the third row in coach, I didn't get a chance to voulnteer since they found their 4 vols in the first two rows.

DL was also offerring a confirmed seat on the next flight 2 hrs later.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Exp
Originally posted by LexPassenger:
and they would give us $100 per hour or fraction.
Yes, this is a new system that's being tested. I read about it at DTW a few weeks back. At the ticket counter, there was a little stack of green slips of paper that outline how this new process works. According to what I read, and I've since tossed the paper, unfortunately, it's $100/hr to a maximum of $750 (or it might be $700). I believe the minimum you'd get is $200, as well, so the clock doesn't start right away.

But the paper did say that this is just being tested at selected airports, and I thought I read it was only in effect until February, but who knows?

My $0.02.

E

Old Mar 10, 2001, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

I think part of the gate agents thought process also includes the alternate flights. If they can get you on another flight quickly and/or lots of options, they are not as generous. Vs. last flight and minimal options in the morning.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 3:26 pm

100$/hour? Then I wouldnt mind waiting for a day or two
Old Mar 11, 2001, 11:03 am

I've always assumed that it also depends on how desperate the situation is. I volunteered my New Years Eve flight from MCO to ATL for $900. They offered this amount straight off just for a 400 mile or so flight.

Of course this was a real bad time to be trying to get out of Orlando with the weather in the North East and the Pilot action. This partiuclar flight was -40 seats at the time I volunteered, so they were getting desperate. The poor girls at the gate were pretty flustered and when I volunteered I thought this one was gonna kiss me!

------------------
Mark
Old Mar 11, 2001, 11:32 am

I know for fact (I called) that our flight to Aruba at Easter time is sold out. There is an earlier fight, but no later flight on Delta. Has anyone ever offered to be bumped (by calling customer service??) to an earlier flight for compensation to help them avoid problems, or do they still just hope that there are no shows and things will go smooth? Just wondering!
Old Mar 11, 2001, 1:39 pm

Originally posted by fscher:
Has anyone ever offered to be bumped (by calling customer service??) to an earlier flight for compensation to help them avoid problems, or do they still just hope that there are no shows and things will go smooth? Just wondering!
Yep, I tried to do this once by switching from a flight oversold by 40 to a LATER flight that was wide open. I didn't even want compensation. They insisted on collecting the $75 change fee. I declined and turned up for the original flight. At the airport they wound up taking 5 volunteers at $600 each, while I flew on the original flight.

Classic example of penny wise, pound foolish.

Old Mar 11, 2001, 3:07 pm

B747 said:

"Yep, I tried to do this once by switching from a flight oversold by 40 to a LATER flight that was wide open. I didn't even want compensation. They insisted on collecting the $75 change fee. I declined and turned up for the original flight. At the airport they wound up taking 5 volunteers at $600 each, while I flew on the original flight.

Classic example of penny wise, pound foolish."

Actually, it is more of an example of the inane "Simply Good Business" policy.

This is an issue that I continue to rail about. When an airline moves a person from an overbooked or very crowded flight to an earlier one that day or even the day before, it gives the airline an "opportunity" by freeing up a seat. I would think it would be better to move a customer through the system earlier, free up a later seat, and maybe sell that later seat OR not have to deal with it if that flight cancels.

I just don't get it . . .

Old Mar 30, 2002, 8:37 pm

Chance of being bumped?

I'm going from LGA to FLL via CVG on 4/12 and the flight from LGA to CVG is not overly full, but the flight from CVG to FLL is showing: F7 A7 Y3 B3 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0

A few questions:
1) How does that look for a bump
2) If it is oversold when I check in at LGA, is it possible they would bump me there, or would I have to go to CVG for that to happen.
3) What is generally offered for a bump on a Friday night? If I am in CVG, would they put me up for the night if there is no other flight? -- I am not in a hurry to get to FLL

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2002, 9:18 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

1) Hard to tell at this point - but possible.

2) No - they won't bump you at LGA.

3) Yes they will put you up in a hotel if there are no other flights that night. I would guess that the bump comp would be $750 - a friend has gotten this several times - CVG-MCO.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 4:34 am

We have been bumped(voluntarily)many times. It really depends on how many people show up for the flight. I was told by a gate agent that statistically 1 in 8 NY to Orlando passengers do not show up. We were also given a fee schedule to determine compensation. Delta will offer $750 for an overnight stay. I think they offer $200 if the delay is under 2 hours. Of course, this is all negotiable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.