Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage is 25 years old! Any contests like five years ago (20 for 20, top 20k)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage is 25 years old! Any contests like five years ago (20 for 20, top 20k)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No word as to possible promotions/contests like we saw five years ago when AAdvantage celebrated its 20th Anniversary.

Press Release Source: American Airlines, Inc.

American Celebrates Silver Anniversary of the AAdvantage Program

Tuesday January 3, 9:51 am ET

... And What a Rewarding 25 Years It's Been!

FORT WORTH, Texas, Jan. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the AAdvantage® program -- the world's first frequent flyer program. When American Airlines launched the AAdvantage program in 1981 with just under 300,000 members, some may have viewed the idea as just another short-term marketing promotion. But 25 years later -- and more than 50 million members strong -- American Airlines is celebrating the AAdvantage program's silver anniversary.

"As the first program of its kind, we're planning several promotions and events to celebrate this milestone and extend sincere appreciation to our members, partners and employees for the program's continued success," said Kurt Stache, President of AAdvantage Marketing Programs. "The AAdvantage program consistently ranks high as an influential factor in customer choice, and we will work to continue to provide value to our loyal customers."

The program has grown to include a wide range of products and services that offer numerous opportunities to earn miles. Members can earn miles with more than 1,500 companies, including more than 35 hotel chains, more than 20 airlines, eight car-rental companies, 18 financial-service companies, and more than 150 brand name retailers. In addition, members can earn miles when making purchases with one of more than 60 affinity card products in 41 markets around the globe.

Last year, more than 129 billion miles were redeemed, representing four million awards to more than 850 AAdvantage award destinations worldwide. Miles can also be redeemed for upgrades to First and Business Class cabins or for things like AmericanAirlines Vacations packages, Admirals Club memberships, hotel stays, car rentals, golf outings, spa services, magazine subscriptions, or even savings for college.

The AAdvantage program may have been the first of its kind, but it has been a quarter century of innovation and enhancement that have truly made it the airline industry's largest and most robust travel awards program.

Happy 25th Anniversary to the AAdvantage program. To learn more about the AAdvantage program and to become a member, visit http://www.aa.com/aadvantage .
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060103/datu009.html?.v=37

Let's see some 25k bonus opportunities.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
No word as to possible promotions/contests like we saw five years ago when AAdvantage celebrated its 20th Anniversary.

(from the article: )
... As the first program of its kind, we're planning several promotions and events to celebrate this milestone ...

Looks like a few words to me. The year just began!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:19 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

May 1 is the actual anniversary.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
In 2000, for its 20th anniverary, they gave 20,000 miles to each of the 20,000 people who flew the most Q-miles during a specific 90-day period around summertime. I was quite surprised to make the list - I must have been around #19,998!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
In 2000, for its 20th anniverary, they gave 20,000 miles to each of the 20,000 people who flew the most Q-miles during a specific 90-day period around summertime. I was quite surprised to make the list - I must have been around #19,998!
For a bit of a blast from the past, check out this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149268

IIRC, I flew exactly zero miles during that 90-day period.

Mike
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:04 pm

Look for opportunities/announcements around 2nd quarter time frame. I also enjoyed the 20/20 and looking forward to a new adventure.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Maybe Jenkins will be back.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:08 pm

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060103/datu009.html?.v=37

Look for something as soon as they figure out where their soft bookings are.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nako
For a bit of a blast from the past, check out this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149268

IIRC, I flew exactly zero miles during that 90-day period.

Mike
That thread really is a blast from the past! I had completely forgotten about it.

To correct my earlier post: it was a five-month period, May through September, and it was in 2001 (the 20th-anniversary year), not 2000.

I had 37,417 BIS miles in those five months, which doesn't seem like much for something like this.

I agree that AA will probably come up with something, but they may wait to see what sort of behavior they want to encourage in a few months. Given the current state of the airline industry, it may not be quite as generous as that one: they gave away 400 million miles!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
5 years ago....already?

Originally Posted by Efrem
That thread really is a blast from the past! I had completely forgotten about it.

To correct my earlier post: it was a five-month period, May through September, and it was in 2001 (the 20th-anniversary year), not 2000.

I had 37,417 BIS miles in those five months, which doesn't seem like much for something like this.

I agree that AA will probably come up with something, but they may wait to see what sort of behavior they want to encourage in a few months. Given the current state of the airline industry, it may not be quite as generous as that one: they gave away 400 million miles!
I remember thinking I wouldn't bother doing the 20/20. I hadn't found FT at that time. I was flying and happened to chat with a woman who was a very serious AA miles collector. Over what I remember fondly as a very nice breakfast, she told me about the AA miles game and FT. Since that time I've put over 600,000 AA miles into my account.

What did happen to all this time?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:15 pm
Suspended

I would definitely put this (a 25/25 promo) in the "coming soon" category...
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Exclamation I need more promos!

Promos ^
Contests

I think contests are a waste of time. You don't know if you'll win anything, unlike promos where your fate is more in your own hands.

That said, I'm hoping AA refrains from any new promos until I finish the current West Coast and Denver offers.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I would definitely put this (a 25/25 promo) in the "coming soon" category...
only today's "enhanced" version would be a 25/.25 promo, right?

25 partners, 250 bonus miles!

yeah!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

They're already cutting back on the online booking bonus.. what's the next surprise?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Oh, please no. I used every rental car company and seemed to stay at every hotel brand in Minneapolis to get my 20 partners. I don't want to do that again....but I would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.