Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Fiji Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was in Fiji recently and would suggest NOT staying on the mainland. The islands are so much nicer. The beaches are a dream and the local people wonderful. The hotel looked quite nice when the shuttle went by, however the beach, if there is one, is likely tidal and may not be the best at certain times of the day. The beauty of visiting such a different location is experiencing the real culture of Fiji - I fear this will not come through very well at such a resort. Just my 2 cents.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:22 pm
Original Member

Would a 1 bedroom beach front be better than the larger 2 bedroom garden view (this is at the Sheraton Villas and there will be 3 of us). What does beach front mean exactly? Do you walk out on your patio and there is the sand or is it more a ocean view situation rather than a real "on the beach" kind of layout.

On another note, what is the must have purchase in Fiji? Tahiti is famous for black pearls....what "must" a person buy when in Fiji???

And one last question. Tipping is not done in Fiji, correct?

Thanks much.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Will be at Denarau Resort on an award

Just booked Denarau resort for five nights at 28,000 points. I'm plat and am curious to a couple of questions.

First.. are all three properties at one check in or does each have a separate check in?

Second: is there anything to do (i.e.. town wise) outside of the SPG properties

third: Late May is what type of season in Fiji? weather? wet/dry?

Fourth: Does plat really get you anything?

Fifth: with a 10:00 p.m. departure from NAN, the 4 p.m. late checkout would really be nice. i'm confused as to whether or not it applies or not
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:37 pm

A friend of mine called to book cash and points nights for June at Sheraton Royal Denarau Resort, and was told that there are some renovations going on, affecting the lobby, pool, and something else I forgot. The rep said they are "making arrangements" to use some of the facilities at the other properties. So, heads up.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Just booked Denarau resort for five nights at 28,000 points. I'm plat and am curious to a couple of questions.

First.. are all three properties at one check in or does each have a separate check in?

Fifth: with a 10:00 p.m. departure from NAN, the 4 p.m. late checkout would really be nice. i'm confused as to whether or not it applies or not
1 3 seperate check in areas - 3 seperate properties on one big site.

2. Not that much. There are a couple of restaurants at the marina, and some other hotel/apartment complexes. Nadi is interesting for a walk through and the Indian temple is pretty cool, but it hardly oozes attractions.

3. For us it varied between bright sun and heavy rain with temperatures in the 70's-80's.

4. Depends which property I guess - it got us a junior suite style room, the special in room greeting and amenity and 500 points.

5. Me too! William - can you clarify?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 7:03 pm

renovations

That was stated on the website about the renovations.. can any one give a real time update on these renovations???? What state are they in? how annoying will the renovations be???

Will I need a car there.. i'll be there for five full days

thanks

Edited to add:

It appears that there are rooms for payment at all three Sheraton properties for the period of my arrival.. with no blackout dates.. why can't I use points at this property.. specifically the Villas if there are rooms to pay for??? Confusion now sets in!!!!

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Apr 5, 2005 at 7:58 pm
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
1 3 seperate check in areas - 3 seperate properties on one big site...
I just came back from two weeks at the Sheraton Fiji Villas. There is no separate check-in for the Villas, you must check in at the Sheraton Fiji.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:45 pm

I just spent two fantastic weeks at the Sheraton Villas Fiji with the Family. I couldn't have asked for a better vacation. We basically did everything we wanted, the food (both at the hotel and in town was tasty), the scuba diving was very nice, the ocean water read 86 degrees on the dive computers, the weather cooperated, and the locals were as friendly and helpful as possible.

Just remember to say "Bula" to everyone. Bula is the all purpose greeting which basically means hello/welcome. Everyone at the resort will address you with Bula at all times of the day & night.

It doesn't matter what hotel you stay at, you can use the facilities at all three hotels and charge everything back to your room folio. There is a shuttle bus (The Bula Bus) that runs every 5 minutes between the resorts. Absolutely perfect for when you just don't want to walk the few minutes between the resorts.

If you are staying at the Sheraton Villas, you must check in at the Sheraton Fiji. There is no separate check-in for the Villas. The LAX-Nandi flight gets in really early and your room may not be ready. Our room was not ready when we arrived so we put on our swim suits and enjoyed the pool area and had lunch. A bell hop will store your bags in the bell/reception area. When our room was ready, a bellman loaded our bags into a shuttle/golf cart and came to get us at the pool area for the 5 minute ride to our room.

Depends on what you like to do. Nadi is not much of a town. There are your typical souvenir shops and that is about it. You can visit the Indian Hindu temple. IIRC, this is the largest temple in the South Pacific. Ok to visit, but this will take you about 1/2 an hour max.

You can hire a taxi for the day to take you all over the island and be your personal tour guide for a very inexpensive price. I hired a guide to take me from Nadi to the airport, drive the Mrs. and I all over the place, wait about 1 1/2 hours for us while we shopped and this cost us FJ$35 (basically $7 and he was the one who proposed the price!).

If you are trying to make your money stretch as far as possible, the taxi secret at the Sheraton Resorts is to NOT take the taxis that are waiting at the reception/bell desk. Wait about 100 yds past the reception (just a bit down the road so that the "hotel" taxis can't see you) and flag one of the taxis from town that is dropping someone off. They will bargain and you can pay about FJ$3-4 instead of the FJ$10-12. If you are staying at either the Sheraton Fiji or at the Villas, wait on the big white rocks in front of the Sogo's sundry store (ignore the "no waiting" sign, as this only applies to automobiles). You will see all the locals doing this. If you don't mind mingling with the locals, you can even all share a taxi and it only cost you FJ$.50!
You can get picky and wait for a taxi that has its windows closed (this means that it has working air conditioning!!!^)

If you are heading back to the resorts from Nandi, ask a couple of taxi drivers how much to get you back to the Sheraton. A couple of times a taxi driver would let us know that he had to make a pick up at the resorts pretty soon and if we could wait until then, he would take us back to the resort for FJ$3!!! YMMV, but we on the average we paid about FJ$6-7.

If you really want to see how the locals get around, take one of the local transit buses from the resorts into town (and then connect to whereever you want on the island). At the Sheratons, the local bus is operated by a company called Westbus. These are basically old school buses that are now pressed into local service. The Westbus stops in front of the Sogo's in front of the Sheraton Fiji/Villas (getting the idea that everything transportation wise locals do revolves around the big white rocks in front of the Sogo?)

Jan & Feb are the rainiest months and May is starting into the dry season. Even though we went in February, we only had one afternoon of rain. The rest of the two weeks were sunny skies and glorious sunshine. The other side of the island gets more rain.

Plat gave me the resort as my oyster, but YMMV. I think it really makes a difference on how you treat the staff and locals. If you treat them with respect and are genuinely friendly, they will go out of your way to take care of you.

As a Platinum, I was upgraded to a 3-bedroom suite in the Villas. Of course we were traveling in the middle of the slow season so occupancy was really only at about 50% and most people don't like the Villas because they are more like condos (as opposed to detached structures like the term "villa" brings to mind) in that they don't have a reception desk or their own restaurants or shops. The distance from the Villas to the other hotels in the resort is about a 5 minute walk. Our villa was on the 2nd floor right in the absolute middle of the complex facing the pool/ocean. The bottom floor can have 2 bedroom units (basically, a one bedroom king bed villa with the connecting room next door accessable by a lockable shared entranceway.) The 2nd floor villas are two story, with a separate upstairs bedroom that has a wrap around balcony with lounge chairs and tables. Even though the downstairs king bedroom was slightly bigger than the upstairs bedroom and had a nicer bathroom area, the upstairs is quieter and has its own patio/sitting area. The villas have their own washer and drier (very nice, pack super light!!!!) and a fully self contained kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, sink and all the pots/pans/plates, serving ware you need.

For us, the front desk was about as helpful as could be, the activities desk gave us the inside scoop on what to do and how to save $$ (the staff are trained to only give you the company line on where to eat and how to get into town because this way there isn't any risk that a "western" tourist will be offended because they got stuck in a cab full of locals or ate at a locals restaurant. Believe you me, some of the restaurants that were recommended that we ate at would scare even the locals!

As a Platinum, you are entitled to a separate Platinum amenity, even if you receive the special Sheraton Fiji welcome present (which we received a full bottle of sparkling wine, crackers and two bottles of chutney & curry paste to spread on the crackers). The Platinum amenity is good for 20% off of one spa treatment, a nice Fiji book of photos of the island scenery, a minimal $$ room credit (I think it was like FJ$10?) or 500 SPG points. I took the book but if you want to try the spa, the % off at the spa is a pretty good deal. The spa is run by Mandara (which runs a number of spas in the SPG chain), but don't let the term spa fool you. It is very small and doesn't have any spa facilities (sauna, steam room, excercise equipment etc.) Basically, it is there to give body treatments (massages, waxing, etc.) and beauty treatments (manicure, pedicure, hair braiding, etc.). During the Aussie & NZ school holidays, the "spa" is packed with girls getting thier hair braided.

While the spa is not as cheap as in some southeast asian countries, the prices are very very reasonable. An hour (actually only 50 minutes) was only marginally more expensive than a 1/2 hour (25 minutes) and the 80 minute massage was a pretty good deal. Be careful though, if you want the super deep Fijian Bombo massage, be prepared for some DEEP penetrating massage that could cause you to cry uncle. I made the mistake of telling my masseuse (a shorter, bit petite indian descent woman) to give me the full deep massage. UNCLE!

I arranged with the spa that for the two weeks we were there that either myself, my wife or our AuPair (on occasion as a special treat for watching our kids while the Mrs. and I were out goofing off) would have some kind of treatment at least once a day (massage, hair braiding, pedicure, manicure etc.) and so I got a nice volume discount. Lets say that the spa made their money off of us, but in return we got a fair volume discount and we got to know the spa staff (since one of us was there at least once a day, and on occasion there would be two of us). You will learn your favorite masseuse and can specfically request if you choose. They can even bring two massage tables to do the massage in your hotel room if you are too tuckered out to get to the spa at no extra charge. I liked getting my massage on the beach in the afternoon, but I think the masseuse liked the spa rooms better because the wind usually picked up in the afternoons.

Once a week on wednesdays the Resort hosts a SPG reception at the Royal on the lawn area in front of the Steak House. You will receive a personalized invitation. They have wine, beer, Kava (the local attitude adjusting beverage brewed from a narcotic root that looks and kind of tastes like muddy water), hot passed tray nibbles & munchies. Waiters will keep your beverages filled & refreshed and the food isn't too bad. Resort executive management is there and you get a chance to chat and mingle. There were about 30 fellow guests at the reception so it was actually quite small and enjoyable. Nothing too fancy, but considering it is free food and booze, and in comparison to some of the SPG receptions I have experienced at other resorts, quite acceptable.

The resort sells late check out depending on how late you want to check out. 2 p.m. check out cost less than the 4 p.m. As a Platinum a platinum, you are "supposed" to get 4 p.m. late check-out. But of course, this is based on availability. If there is no availability because they are selling it, then you are SOL. That being said, after two weeks, the staff were treating us like family. So a couple of days before our check out, I gently inquired of a few of my new front desk family members if I could get FREE late check out as a Platinum. I wasn't let down. Basically, they asked me what time I wanted to check out. Taking the late Air Pacific flight to LAX means that late check-out is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by onedog; Apr 5, 2005 at 11:04 pm
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
A friend of mine called to book cash and points nights for June at Sheraton Royal Denarau Resort, and was told that there are some renovations going on, affecting the lobby, pool, and something else I forgot. The rep said they are "making arrangements" to use some of the facilities at the other properties. So, heads up.
The Sheraton Royal is the oldest hotel on the island and is getting a bit long on the years. I was told by resort management that the Royal is going to be renovated and rebranded as a Westin.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:11 pm

...Will I need a car there.. i'll be there for five full days...
I was there with the family for two weeks and a car would have been absolutely unnecessary. Taxis are plentiful and inexpensive (super inexpensive if you want) and local transportation is absurdly inexpensive (US$.30 from the resorts into town!). I didn't meet a single fellow guest who rented a car. That being said, there is an Avis on site in case you want to take a drive to the far sides of the island.

Most of the island concessions (scuba, tour company, activity companies) will arrange to either pick you up at the hotel or they will pay for your r/t transportation. We booked our scuba dives with a dive shop in Nadi town and they personally picked us up every morning and then paid for a taxi to take us back when we were done.

Our AuPair booked an adventure tour with a company that was a couple of hours away. The company paid for a taxi to come get her and to take her back.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

onedog is quite right about the check in areas - mea cupla for forgetting. He is also much better than I at getting cheap taxi fares.

I would recommend getting a car if you want to explore the island. I get cabin fever in a resort after 2-3 days so enjoyed being able to motor along the coast road. There are some good snorkelling opportunities towards Suva.

The Bula thing was nice for a day. Then it started to crack me. Then it started to wind you up. But then I am a grumpy youngish-man.

One tip for a breakfast. If you are happy to skip the buffet breakfast, there is a coffee shop (Starbucks style but nicer) outside the Fiji. Really good coffee plus pastries etc for USD2 or so.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 7:41 am

wow, thanks onedog

I think I'll just print that and keep it with all my FIJI information.. with an 11 hour flight from LAX, i'll need something to read LOL

I will say, no one has answered my question about why I can't get the villas if they are selling the rooms.. I am still confused as to whether I should be able to book them with points if there is availability.. I would prefer the villas over the Denarau if possible.. Not that I'm complaining.. I am just looking for R&R.

the coffee shop post was a great help too.. I really need my coffee in the morning and seldom eat breakfast

thanks all
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:51 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...I will say, no one has answered my question about why I can't get the villas if they are selling the rooms.. I am still confused as to whether I should be able to book them with points if there is availability.. I would prefer the villas over the Denarau if possible.. Not that I'm complaining.. I am just looking for R&R...
I might be able to help with this one.

The standard Preferred (free) Night Award is for a standard room and not every hotel offers upgraded Preferred (free) Night Awards.

This one...the Sheraton Denaru Villas...has two upgraded Preferred (free) Night Award possibilities: a one bedroom villa suite with two twins or a king for 20,000 Starpoints per night and a sea-view room with two twins or a king for 11,000 Starpoints per night.

So, it would appear that a villa-type room is not a possibility using a Preferred (free) Night Award, but you might be able to do so at the property when you check in using an Instant Upgrade Award. Only the hotel is going to know if this can be done or not.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onedog
Kava (the local attitude adjusting beverage brewed from a narcotic root that looks and kind of tastes like muddy water),
Did you try this out? Was your attitude adjusted?

Did you go to Suva or any of the other islands? How does one get there?

Thanks for the long report!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:43 am

What is the official language

Dumb question maybe, but is English the official language in Fiji? and if not, do they speak English at the resort?

For the record, I switched from the Royal Denareau to the Sheraton Fiji resort.. the Villas are completely sold out according to the website and plat desk as of today anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.