Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet to OGG and HNL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Westjet to OGG and HNL

What is the percentage of flights that must go to SFO before crossing the pond?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Work colleague recently had the SFO service on a HNL flight with a 4am arrival instead of midnight. Yuck!! Don't know the answer to your question but I think WS is the WRONG choice here. I hope they come to their senses and either use proper planes or back off. They are creating a lot of ill will this way. A 4am arrival is no way to start a vacation.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:19 pm

Since the route has only been operating a month the percentage is high. Probably close to 20%. All flights in the past week have operated n/s.
They had to turn back once on a trip to OGG because of an inoperable HF radio IIRC.
I suspect after flying to Hawaii 365 times the percentage will be well under 5%.
Air Pacific has been using -800s on this route for years and I have never seen them make a tech stop.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Work colleague recently had the SFO service on a HNL flight with a 4am arrival instead of midnight. Yuck!! Don't know the answer to your question but I think WS is the WRONG choice here. I hope they come to their senses and either use proper planes or back off. They are creating a lot of ill will this way. A 4am arrival is no way to start a vacation.
I agree that this flt is more negative than positive.

I hope Westjet moves to match HMY's schedule. Hawaii is not a good market for red eyes or late evening arrivals.

Personaly I always use Northwest out of SEA because of its great schedule and low fares. I have yet to try HMY because of their lack of daily service.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:59 am

is not a good market for red eyes or late evening arrivals.
Doesn't seem to be hurting AC.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:03 am

Since the route has only been operating a month the percentage is high. Probably close to 20%.
We've had three tech-stops and they were all in the first week of operations. Since that first week there have been no tech-stops and several contributing factors to our poor OTP in the first three weeks have also been corrected.

I hope Westjet moves to match HMY's schedule.
Look for Westjet to increase frequency by adding morning departure times sometime this year.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Air Pacific has been using -800s on this route for years and I have never seen them make a tech stop.
Didn't Air Pacific cancel the route because the tech stops were making the flight too unreliable?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:34 pm

http://www.airpacific.com/website.ns...Vancouver-Nadi

Shows being operated with a -700. It was flown recently with a -800.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:51 pm

I thought I read that somewhere, but old age must be playing with my memory.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Cascadia
I agree that this flt is more negative than positive.

I hope Westjet moves to match HMY's schedule. Hawaii is not a good market for red eyes or late evening arrivals.

Personaly I always use Northwest out of SEA because of its great schedule and low fares. I have yet to try HMY because of their lack of daily service.
HMY has extremely low utilization on its 757's. They offer a great schedule, but I'd bet you lunch at Canoe they don't make a nickel operating 757's about 10 hrs a day on average.

Those birds need 14 hoursw a day to be profitable.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I can also assure you that pissing off all your pax on a loaded 737-800 with a 4 hour delay in the middle of the night will not make them profitable anytime soon!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I can also assure you that pissing off all your pax on a loaded 737-800 with a 4 hour delay in the middle of the night will not make them profitable anytime soon!
Is that like some of the 24 hour transpacific delays AC suffers from periodically that FF's write about in the AC forum?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Coffeebean
HMY has extremely low utilization on its 757's. They offer a great schedule, but I'd bet you lunch at Canoe they don't make a nickel operating 757's about 10 hrs a day on average.

Those birds need 14 hoursw a day to be profitable.
They do seem to be at the gates in YVR quite a bit. But Dr. Ho has deep pockets, and doesn't have to pander to shareholders.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
They do seem to be at the gates in YVR quite a bit. But Dr. Ho has deep pockets, and doesn't have to pander to shareholders.
Have you ever met a fabulously rich person who enjoyed losing money?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Coffeebean
Have you ever met a fabulously rich person who enjoyed losing money?
No, but he seems willing to take a loss to build the product he wants. Let's be honest, its the antithesis of what you at WS are doing. He doesn't have to expand at a foolishly unsustainable pace to satisfy shareholders or employees. He's building the product slowly, and positioning himself well with the more discerning traveller and with the more status-conscious Asian market that he is gearing up for.

If, he wants to offer flyers service and perks good for him! Its refreshing to see someone break from "conventional wisdom" that everyone is looking solely for the cheapest price. I hope it pays off for him. Everyone I know who has flown HQ enjoyed the experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.