Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton North Houston Airport IAH [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton North Houston Airport IAH [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Just checked into the Houston Sheraton Intercontinental Airport - got upgraded, nice room - no complaints.
Does anyone know if the gym is any better now?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thumbs down Very Very Bad

I stayed one night at this hotel on March 13th. I arrived at IAH from London and had a connecting flight the following morning to LAX. I was surprised with a hefty $270plus rate!!!! I decided to go for redemption (3000points).

The hotel turned out to be absolute disaster. I didn't have unreasonable expectations; simply just clean bed and a shower. The shower didn't have hot water and I was in a bad need for a hot shower to relax and refresh after a long cross Atlantic flight. It took me over an hour and a half to get a decent functional shower after several trips down to the front desk and personally inspect the shower of several rooms. All the rooms I had to check were supposedly on the preferred guest floor (10th floor). The noise was another issue where door slamming (most often by housekeeping staff) was going on till 8PM.

The hotel is in very bad shape it needs serious renovation or alternatively rebranding. It's a shame to see Sheraton logo attached to this property.

The rate of 270 a night is crazy. I felt ripped off for my 3000 points, I would be outraged if I had to pay 150 a night at such hotel.

AVOID // AVOID // AVOID // AVOID // AVOID // AVOID // AVOID // AVOID

To be fair, here are some positive points:
- Responsive hotel manager and courteous front desk staff.
- Airport shuttle (although standard feature of airport hotels/but I like the service)
- Breakfast buffet at the lounge exceeded my expectations (considering the state of the hotel and services).
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:59 pm

Im going tomorrow night.. wish me luck
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:50 pm
Commander Catcop

I have stayed at this property at least once a year for the past several years.

In my years... the only problems were:

*One year: the lock to the junior suite did not work. They fixed it and I got points.

*One year: They did not get me a wake up call... (although I am so anxious about missing a flight that I wake myself up) They apologized and gave me points.

Other than that I have NOT had problems at this hotel. It has gone under renovations in the past year or so. I was unaffected by them.

The positives:

*Staff is very nice and it's even funny to be greeted by name and told "well welcome back Mark!"

*Almost always on teh Club Floor. I have never had time to use the Club Lounge because my flights are at 6a.

*The rooms are nice... Only once I got a suite but I come in not expecting it.

*Shuttle is consistant and on time.

*They have SHINER BOCK at the bar!

I will be staying here again early in January. Then again my major criteria for a hotel:

*Clean comfortable room
*Polite, courteous staff
*Shuttle as needed.

Sorry about your disappointing stays.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Catman
*They have SHINER BOCK at the bar!
Every place in Houston that has a liquor license in Houston sells shiner. I wouldn't stay here just for the Shiner Bock.

I found the staff to be poorly trained and not very friendly, several I encounterd had trouble with communicating in English. I think I will forgo my SPG points and stay at one of the other nicer newer better run hotels in the IAH area.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Have stayed here maybe 5 times in 2008.
It's a pretty reliable hotel in all respects.

Will always be clean, comfourtable, fairly quiet.
Will always be a pain in the ... to find parking out front.
Will always be priced far higher than you expect - I've seen it at $250+ sometimes, and it's truly in a non-exciting part of Houston.
This on a street jampacked with hotels for far less.

This whole year, has been a lot of hustle & bustle about renovation.
It's a sizeable place, and with some sprucing, could get to the Westin level, maybe justify the costs.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Exclamation Temporarily CLOSED due to Hurricane Ike

From the hotel's website:
"Closed Due to Hurricane Ike

The Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental hotel is closed to arrivals due to damages caused by Hurricane Ike. All guests with reservations due to arrive between Friday, September 12 and Saturday, November 1 are being contacted and their reservations are cancelled."

(Related discussion in this thread.)
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:26 pm

The hotel has reopened (thread title could be updated), and I stayed there on an overnight connection at IAH last week. Seemed like a decent enough airport Sheraton to me. They have 5 or 6 computers with free internet in the lobby as their "link," which is a feature I actually really like. Two pools, indoor and outdoor, and the outdoor one was actually pretty nice for cooling down after a travel day. The airport shuttle is free and runs every twenty minutes. I was offered a club room upgrade for $20 by email after I booked/one day before arrival (they were the same day) but the link didn't work for me so I didn't pursue it.

Michael
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I stayed at this hotel last month. I thought the general decor and room was abour average for a Sheraton. Comfortable bed, free bottle water

As a SPG Gold I was

(1) upgarded without asking to a suite.

(2) it was a weekend night... was given a breakfast coupon for the restaurant

(3) Given a coupon for free desert

I will be interested to see what I get later this month as a Plt
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Stayed at this property for a single night a few weeks ago. No recognition of platinum status at the check-in counter, regular purple SPG keycard holder given. Had to remind the front desk clerk about the 500 point platinum welcome amenity, to which the response was, "Oh, yeah.. I guess." The customer service at this property was exceptionally underwhelming.

Room was average. No upgrade. Value for money paid (about $250/night) was very poor. Will not repeat.

-RS.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Greetings all
I just peeked at Trip Advisor and the guest satisfaction scores seem pretty dismal overall on this property.
About half of all reviewers find it satisfactory
It should have at least 65% percent satisfaction or better to be in the running IMO
Any recent experiences?Thank You
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex,AS,DL,Marriott,Hilton
I have a reservation at this Sheraton for tomorrow night. It is a point+cash reservation. I called to see how much it would cost to upgrade to club level and was told $20. However, they didn't have any double bed rooms available, so the agent upgraded me to a king room for free!!! I don't have status and just have the Amex SPG card. I am very happy and will report back after my stay.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:47 pm

The rooms here are pretty old and need renovation, especially the bathrooms, and the air conditioners are loud. The staff are all over the map service wise although in my last stay it seems to be improved. You must call the hotel for shuttle service at the airport, they don't automatically circulate like most other properties.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Have stayed here many times, more out of convenience than anything. Although the hotel is old, they have always taken care of me. However...

Last week, had a really high rate, did a double take, but booked it anyway. Upon check-in, was told that I was upgraded, they when I got to the room, guess what, normal room. Oh well.

Then I shut the TV off to crash (I was very ill) and realized I was next to the elevator.....sleepless night.

Are there that many Plats that they had to put me in the WORST room on the 9th floor? I am staying there next week as well and am considering cancelling.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
anyone have any recent stays here? i'm staying here next week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.