Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report: 2005 Mazda6

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Ride Report: 2005 Mazda6

With 86K on my Jetta, it's time to start doing some test drives on potential new vehicles, and as a new #1CG member with a midnight arrival in PHX coming up, I decided I'd much rather get my counter visit out of the way locally. At $18.99/day, a specific-model one-day reservation for a Mazda6 fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, DCA was out when I arrived via Metro, so I took an Altima, thought for a few minutes in traffic on my way home, then called reservations and politely asked them to inquire at IAD for a swap. With the vehicle successfully traded, I headed home; the morning would bring a Saturday of driving, mostly around Maryland.

My car was slate-gray with about 17,000 miles, with Virginia plates originally issued in May '05. No sunroof, no NeverLost (brought my own iQue), no Sirius (brought my own XM Roady2), but automatic seat position controls, and radio and cruise on the steering wheel. The car was a reasonable fit for my 6'4" frame, but I wouldn't want to be any taller and drive one; headroom was fine, but legroom was stretched to its max even with the seat slid as far back as possible.

The seat itself was quite comfortable -- not overly firm, but very comfortable side bolsters to keep you from sliding around should you feel it necessary to speed through an exit ramp. The driver's compartment feels smaller than you might expect for a mid-size car, but I'd call it cozy rather than claustrophobic. Rear-seat room is moderately usable; I wouldn't put adults in the back for a long drive, and certainly not behind the driver's seat with someone as tall as me driving, but for short runs over a couple of days, it's OK. Trunk is big enough for two full-size suitcases, or a couple of roll-aboards and a golf bag.

Overall feel was decently sporty -- responsive steering, suspension comfortable, but not isolated from the road. The 4-cylinder engine is decent -- I've driven better, but I've also driven a lot worse. In automatic mode, the transmission takes a fraction of a second to decide what to do when you stomp the gas, but otherwise was smooth and unobtrusive. I didn't spend a lot of time in 4-speed manual mode -- I tend to think of that as more of a toy than a legitimate option for serious driving. The vehicle didn't seem to mind city or highway driving, and average mileage over my 2/3 highway, 1/3 city run (assuming that the vehicle was actually full when returned, which is a better assumption at IAD than most) came out a shade over 28 mpg.

Overall, I was fairly impressed. The 6 is classified C4, but I'd take it over most of the domestic midsize or fullsize choices unless I needed the space, and certainly over any of the standard offerings in C or below.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
If you have a chance, try to get one of the refreshed '06 models from Hertz (they have grey-tinted taillights instead of the red surround).

I have an '06 V6 hatch this weekend, and it's a noticeable improvement over the pre-refreshed models. THe new six-speed automatic transmission is outstanding, and some of the cheaper bits in the interior have been spruced up. Not sure if it's also a new feature, but my example has a suede-like fabric for the seats that is quite nice. ^
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
I think I had the same ride that prashok had. My rental was at MSY, and this car was about the highlight of the trip. The Mazda 6 handled much more like a sports car than a typical midsize. The bulk of my driving was highway (New Orleans to Hammond and back). I thought it got really good gas mileage and had enough room for me and my belongings, with room to spare.

I would gladly choose this model over many other midsize offerings.

Stevekoe
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA nobody, HH Silver, MR Gold
Got A Mazda 6 in BOI a few weeks back. It practically begs to be driven fast. Very fun for a <$20k car. Zoom-Zoom-Zoom indeed!
Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I like the 6, but prefer the Altima. Since I can't pre-reserve the Nissan by model, I choose the 6 then swap at the station if I see an available Altima.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:10 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
I like the 6, but prefer the Altima. Since I can't pre-reserve the Nissan by model, I choose the 6 then swap at the station if I see an available Altima.
I actually had that happen without asking at MCO in Jan. Reserved a 6, got an Altima (after having to go inside because name not on board). It was fine, certainly would be appealing if you had more than two people because it's bigger. For one or two, though, I like the 6 better. I didn't like the Altima's shifter or its invisible radio display, although I realize that is nitpicking a bit. Drives just fine, and I'd take either over some of the crap I've had recently for C rentals (Corolla, Sebring).

I drove an '05 Mazda 6 for a week out on the west coast, with a lot of driving (well over 1000 miles) and it was a perfect companion. The only thing I didn't like was the 4-speed transmission (fairly annoying on some of the hills and curves of coastal northern California). This has been rectified for 2006 with the new 6-speed auto. I haven't yet driven the '06, but I doubt I'd have much left to complain about.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:23 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I got a 6 in DEN last July with 2 miles on the odometer. I was pleasantly surprised enough that I'd look into them more if I was in the market for a car.

I second most of VT's report, especially the part about hesitating just a bit when trying to accomodate quick changes in acceleration. I have to say that was just a bit annoying.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by prashok
If you have a chance, try to get one of the refreshed '06 models from Hertz (they have grey-tinted taillights instead of the red surround).

I have an '06 V6 hatch this weekend, and it's a noticeable improvement over the pre-refreshed models. THe new six-speed automatic transmission is outstanding, and some of the cheaper bits in the interior have been spruced up. Not sure if it's also a new feature, but my example has a suede-like fabric for the seats that is quite nice. ^
Got one of these in SAN this past weekend on a "B" class booking. The 6 cyl / 6 spd auto combo are suited well for one another.

The car handled well and was well put together.

I did notice a little delay in the shifting when you would hammer the gas, while already moving say at 20 MPH.

My only real nitpick was the radio reception which was MISERABLE given that we were always in the SAN metro area.

The seatbelt reminder is nothing short of ANNOYING either.

Junkie-
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Had a brand new, March tags Mazda 6 V6 at LAX this weekend for family trip to Vegas. Was a smoother and quieter ride than the BMW 330 I've been driving. Had very good passing power. My favorite feature is that the telescoping wheel telescopes ALOT -- I have very long legs and I find that I often get stuck driving with my arms stretch out far -- not in this car. The 6 speed auto didnt hunt alot like many auto cars do in the mountain passes. Fuel economy was 28mpg.

Rate for 2 days with AAA (came to 35% with 004 CDP) and $15 off weekend coupon code was $28 total, taxes and fees inclusive. ^
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
I picked up a 06 Mazda6 s Grand Touring (V6) from RDU with sunroof--it was classified as YC. There was no Neverlost or Sirius in the vehicle.

Power was quite good. I had only minimal chirping from the tires when accelerating from a standstill. The 6-speed automatic does a good job, but the top gear keeps the engine revving at around 2000rpm at 60mph.
Handling was excellent with the 18" wheels and low-profile Pirelli PZero Nero tires (M+S rated all-season). It didn't feel too front-heavy given the large engine and front wheel drive.

The particular car I had included heated leather seats and Bose radio with 6-disc in-dash changer. The radio was better than the stock radio, but nothing special. The CD player did not read MP3 CDs.

The only gripe I have with the Mazda6 is that it is virtually silent when locking the doors. I often found myself testing the door or pressing the button again to sound the horn.

Fuel economy was a respectable 24mpg in mixed sprited city/highway driving. EPA estimates are 20 city, 27 highway. MSRP as configured (via the website) was around $27K. I would personally prefer this car over a Camry/Accord with a 4-cylinder engine.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I got a Mazda 6 in SAN 2 weeks ago for $20 per day. It only had 500 miles on it!!! I LOVED driving that car around. The next 2 reservations I have made have been for the Mazda 6. Its worth the extra $2-4 per day to get the Mazda 6 instead of some Kia.

Junkie.....agreed that seatbelt reminder is incredibly annoying, but it sure forced me to buckle up!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Got a 6-speed auto V6 model this weekend for a trip to PDX from SEA and I agree with those who say it's a blast. ^
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:49 am

FWIW, I drive an '04 Mazda 6 5-door and have really enjoyed the car. Through 37,000 miles I've had no problems, except I think the A/C could be a bit cooler.

I also think the slight redesign of the car makes it look a bit more grownup and fit better in its class, and I understand that the newer cars are quieter than mine, which would be a good improvement. Handling is much better, IMHO than an Accord, although the Accord seems to have a bit more power.

If anyone has specific Mazda 6 questions, feel free to ask.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Got an electric blue v6 with bose sound/heated seats/sunroof/leather
VERY impessive to this altima driver!In the running for new car choice
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:28 pm

Programs: US, UA
Originally Posted by slimothy
I picked up a 06 Mazda6 s Grand Touring (V6) from RDU with sunroof--it was classified as YC. There was no Neverlost or Sirius in the vehicle.

Power was quite good. I had only minimal chirping from the tires when accelerating from a standstill. The 6-speed automatic does a good job, but the top gear keeps the engine revving at around 2000rpm at 60mph.
Handling was excellent with the 18" wheels and low-profile Pirelli PZero Nero tires (M+S rated all-season). It didn't feel too front-heavy given the large engine and front wheel drive.

The particular car I had included heated leather seats and Bose radio with 6-disc in-dash changer. The radio was better than the stock radio, but nothing special. The CD player did not read MP3 CDs.

The only gripe I have with the Mazda6 is that it is virtually silent when locking the doors. I often found myself testing the door or pressing the button again to sound the horn.

Fuel economy was a respectable 24mpg in mixed sprited city/highway driving. EPA estimates are 20 city, 27 highway. MSRP as configured (via the website) was around $27K. I would personally prefer this car over a Camry/Accord with a 4-cylinder engine.
Wow, this was written as if it came out of my own brain. Uncanny. RDU/06/18"/Bose/6-disc/sunroof/leather(heated). Same observed likes/dislikes/fuel efficiency. Mine was gold w/ 4500mi on the odometer.

Handling was excellent (didn't experience any wet weather). Quiet highway ride, despite 18" wheels. Throttle response is not totally smooth for 0 to 10mph. Liked the steering wheel audio/cruise controls. Mixed emotions on the climate control dials. Power and room for 5 adult males was no problem. Trunk space is not very big (approx 2 golf bags + 2 bags). I used 2 CDs on shuffle, and found the storage compartment where the NAV would be installed handy.

Kudos to Mazda/Hertz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.