Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '06 Nissan Sentra 1.8S

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '06 Nissan Sentra 1.8S

Came back home into SFO, and rather than take the Taurus in my stall, I decided to forego my PC "upgrade" and take a freshly-delivered Sentra with 12 miles on it instead.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/Mo...delName=sentra

This particular Sentra 1.8S had the optional ABS/side airbag package, and thus had an MSRP of $16,600.

Power: The 1.8S trim level includes the base Sentra motor, which is a 1.8L four-cylinder producing 126 hp. While the four-speed automatic transmission does an admirable job of staying in tune with the motor, power comes up short and engine noise is quite buzzy and unrefined. Overall, the powertrain is below average in terms of refinement and power, especially when compared to the class leaders. Fuel economy was adequate for a small car, returning mpg in the high 20s during mixed driving.

Ride/Handling: The Sentra was a mixed bag in terms of dynamics. Steering feel was generally quick and responsive and cornering grip was good, but this didn't seem to translate well in terms of handling, where body roll was quite prominent and general chassis dynamics were a bit soft. In addition, the ride was somewhat jarring and noisy, except on the smoothest of roads. Brakes were strong and easy to modulate, however.

Interior: The interior of the Sentra is generally clean and functonial, and ergonomics are designed well, with major controls being within easy reach. Some of the materials are cheap-feeling and the interior was a bit drab, but build quality was solid. Seats were comfortable, but overall interior space is a major issue. I'm only 6 feet tall, and I was barely able to find a decent seating position. In addition, even for a compact sedan, overall cabin room is quite tight, especially in the rear. However, the trunk is of OK size.

Features: In 1.8S trim, the Sentra was equipped with most power and convenience accessories.

Value: While the Sentra wasn't an entirely bad car, the design and chassis of the car is definitely showing its age -- it's no surprise that Nissan has just released the redesigned 2007 Sentra on the autoshow circuit. I'd definitely take the Sentra over the craptacular Cavalier, but compared to Hertz's standard compact offerings, I'd much rather take a Mazda 3 or Ford Focus.

To sum it up:

The Good
Nicely equipped

The Bad
Lacking interior space and comfort
Noisy and unrefined

For those interested, here are pictures of the '07 Sentra. Looks promising... ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.