Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - 2005 VW Jetta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Ride Report - 2005 VW Jetta

Usually a trip to CMH means a bland mid-sized American car. Once in a while, however, there's a surprise waiting in the stall. This time around, it was a silver 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS.

This is NOT the new Jetta released in mid-2005, but the older, better performing model which has existed in more or less this form since '99.

The particular model was equipped with a 2.0L engine, the heated cloth seats which come standard with the GLS package, a sunroof, a nice CD player, and the traction enhancement stuff VW calls ESP.

Power: The 2.0 liter engine is pretty much the least fun engine you can get on a Jetta, making barely over 100 HP. The 1.8T or VR6 is a LOT more fun... but this does mean this car can get by on regular. This choice also means the Jetta comes with a standard automatic transmission rather than the cooler Tiptronic version. Still, the car moves reasonably quickly, certainly more eagerly than your run of the mill class C car.

Handling: Responsive steering -- 15k miles hasn't made a dent in the rock solid handling of a VW. Lots of road feel, which didn't feel too great on some of the rough roads in the area. Very tight turning radius.

Interior: Typical very good VW build quality, however this particular car could have been cleaner. The dashboard was dusty, the seats needed vacuuming. This aside, the interior was pretty comfortable - in the front at least. I'm a tall guy and I could get as much legroom as I needed. The rear seat was useless for adults, however. The trunk was adaquate in size.

Features: Power everything, nice sunroof, and a really pretty good CD player. Daytime running lights, and a rather neat blue/red nighttime dashboard configuration.

Value: Pretty solid for a C-class. Good handling, fun to drive, a breath of fresh air in an otherwise boring class of rentals.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Interesting! I had heard that Hertz may bring in MK5 Jettas, but I didn't know they carried the older MK4s. I like the Jetta, although like the Corolla, it may be a bit small to be in the C rate class...

Thanks for the review. ^
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:46 pm

Someone said that the CMH location is franchised and the owner also owns a VW dealership.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: aa-plat, nw-gold, ua, sw, marriot-plat, hh-silver, hz-presidents circle, amtrak-who knows
I can confirm that CMH airport is a Hz franchise owned by a local dealership. I sometimes call and spcifically ask for the Jetta.

_m

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.