Search

Ride Reports 06 Forester & 06 Vue

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, UA
Ride Reports 06 Forester & 06 Vue

06 Subaru Forester w/AWD, 8000mi odometer, at LIH
A great vehicle. 4 doors. Hatchback. No trunk, but there is a shallow sunken storage area in back. Otherwise, there is the cover-over pull shade typical for hatchbacks. This "lower" level of security almost pushed me to the Lincoln Hertz gave me at first. Boy am I glad my companion sided with the Subaru. More than enough interior room. Fantastic large storage compartment under the rear view mirror on the dash (sufficient to hold, at once, a book, camera, cellphone, wallet, sunglasses case -- you get the point). More roof mounted storage compartments, a la SUV. Great visibility in all directions. Tall interior makes viewing scenery from this car superb. Dials/controls all intuitive. Wipers fore and aft very effective, tested in scattered heavy rain. Radio quality satisfactory. CD included but unused. Engine power more than sufficient, even with the A/C on most of the time. Took it up and down 4000' elevation without a hitch. AWD handling/steering/brakes perfectly responsive on canyon twisty roads. Exudes safety. Great sharp turning radius. Sampled some off road on dirt/mud/rock/1ft+ puddles. Could not have been more impressed with this vehicle. 17gal consumed in 400mi. Remember this 23mpg was under rather harsh conditions.

06 Saturn Vue w/2WD, 3000mi odometer, at ITO
New car smell, sitting up higher, and dark window tinting were perhaps the 3 best points for this car. 4 doors. Hatchback w/o security shade. On-star, sat-radio, CD equipped but untested. No dashboard storage bin, but did have nice netted pockets low around the center console. Going from the Suby, this car is was vastly underpowered, even on more gradual climbs to 2000'. Passing required planning and a running start. Another key complaint was with the shifter. Whereas the Suby had L-2-3-D, the Vue had L-I-D, where I is some "brainy intermediate gear". As an engine downshifter during canyon drives, the unpredictability of the I gear was unacceptable. Windshield wiper controls much more confusing than Suby, as the stalk has several ring controls which feel similar. Both good and bad, passenger map light was bright -- too bright -- affecting driver night visibility. All other controls (radio, etc) just fine. Turning radius was weaker than expected. Both cars had fog lights, but I only encountered fog at this location, and they performed well. Armrest on captains chairs a nice touch. Some unpaved road driving, but nothing on the level of the Suby's testing. Much more "highway" style driving this leg, 530mi, 21gal, for 25mpg.

Both cars very comfortable for long rides, and certainly better than the economy I was expecting. Hertz really took care of me as #1Gold. Best end-to-end service I've experienced renting a car ever were from both locations above. Kudos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.