Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Montreal Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Arrow Montreal Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Rates for an upcoming Montreal trip in August show the Le Meridien at 163 CAD per night with a passport rate. If I compare it to other *W properties for the same dates (W=329CAD, Sheraton=289CAD and 4Pts.= 189CAD) it seems to be a really good deal.

Anybody stay there recently? I did find a couple of older comments on the property but nothing recent commenting on the quality of the hotel, rooms, etc.

Since this will also be a stay well past the dates that *W will be taking over LeM, I assume that I shouldn't have problems getting points for the stay even though it is special rate. (In an old thread there where comments from a poster that LeM didn't give credit for their low rates.) I would hope that IF the property participates in SPG that I would get credit since it was booked on their web site.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:55 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
IMO, this is an okay hotel, but not great. It is not even a real Le Meridien, in my eyes. This was a long standing independent hotel along with its sister property across the street -- which is still there. It's almost as if Meridien wanted to be back in Montreal SO BADLY that they were willing to sign on with this lesser hotel.

Don't get me wrong, it seems to be well managed and can be considered in an okay location, but it's an older hotel which means slow, narrow elevators and plenty of TINY ROOMS.

For my money, the Sheraton Le Centre puts on a good show with consistently solid performance.

Just my $00.02.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:05 am
DJC

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
Le Meridien Versailles - Montreal

Hello,

Does anybody have any experience recently staying at Le Meridien Versailles in Montreal? Any experiences with Platinum recognition? I'm due to be in Montreal next week and the ABA rates at the Meridien are very favourable when compared to the Sheraton and the W.

Thanks,

David
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Stayed there about 3 weeks ago and was impressed. Located about 3 blocks from Fine Arts Museum further away from central area on Sherbrooke. Was upgraded to a junior suite with a jacuzzi and free breakfast. There are several good restaurants nearby of all different national cuisines. Would stay there again.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:19 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I stayed there before it became a Meridien and it was charming but there are 2 buildings, mais non? One is the small tower on the south side of the street and the other is the old mansion on the north side which is the one I was in. Rooms there vary in size and quality. Do they still have this old mansion as part of the property?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Both sides are stilled referred to as the Chateau Versailles (and even on my folio it should both Le Meridien Versailles and the Chateau Versailles. The one cabbie I took back dropped me off in front of the old mansion when the huge Le Meridien sign is clearly on the hotel across the street.

The 2 seem to be still linked behind the scenes but I have to say that I enjoyed Le Meridien much more than the Sheraton Centre and would definitely stay there again.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 5:12 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I will have to check it out now that it is part of the SPG family. I had been worried the rooms were small boxes but I gather not. Any idea how many suites there are for us Plats? The rates are very attractive even though the location is out a tad for my liking.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:10 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Just to clarify -- this is a hotel with an affiliated hotel immediately adjacent. The owner is the same, but just one of the two buildings is branded Le Meridien. The other hotel bldg is simply the Hotel Versailles.

I have not stayed here, but bumped into the GM a few months ago at the Starwood Global Conference in SAN and he seemed like a delightful sort. I'm sure he runs a solid hotel. ^
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I spent one night there a couple weeks ago for the same reason as the OP mentioned - very favourable rates compared to the Sheraton (which I quite like) and the W (not tried yet).

Overall, I would return. Very helpful & pleasant staff, upgraded to a spacious, comfortable, quiet room, free breakfast offered in the restaurant and I like the location close to the park. Nice toiletries, too - similar to the new Hilton Crabtree & Evelyn ones. I asked about a business centre, and was directed to/ able to use one at the older 'non Le Meridien Hotel Versailles' across the street.

Very good value for the money, and very pleasant. Keep in mind it is a small-ish hotel though, if that matters to you - nothing like the enormous-ish Sheraton Centre!
Old May 24, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Which to choose? 4 Pts vs. Le Meridien

Looking at rooms for a conference at Palais Des Congres in Montreal this November (brrrrrrrrr), and here's the price breakdown for *wood:

4 Pts. Centre-Ville - $100 CAD
Le Meridien Versailles - $139 CAD
W Montreal - $169 CAD
Le Centre Sheraton - $259 CAD

I've booked the 4 Pts. since it is so cheap, but would the Le Meridien be worth a measly $39 CAD/nt more? Keep in mind I'm only Preferred Plus, so I don't think that gets me much more in terms of upgrades (Preferred Floor perhaps?).

Last edited by ptpinit; May 24, 2006 at 11:52 am
Old May 24, 2006, 12:09 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by ptpinit
I've booked the 4 Pts. since it is so cheap, but would the Le Meridien be worth a measly $39 CAD/nt more? Keep in mind I'm only Preferred Plus, so I don't think that gets me much more in terms of upgrades (Preferred Floor perhaps?).
For the extra $39 at the Le Meridien you probably wouldn't get any extra amenity like free breakie, but perhaps just be staying in a slighty "classier" hotel.

However, by staying at the Four Points you would benefit from the free HSIA throughout your stay...
Old May 24, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ptpinit
Looking at rooms for a conference at Palais Des Congres in Montreal this November (brrrrrrrrr), and here's the price breakdown for *wood:

4 Pts. Centre-Ville - $100 CAD
Le Meridien Versailles - $139 CAD
W Montreal - $169 CAD
Le Centre Sheraton - $259 CAD

The Palais des Congrès is very close to the new W Montreal, you could walk there in 5 minutes. I would stay at the W if I were you. The 4Points for 100$ is a fairly good deal. Le Meridien would be further away from the Palais de Congrès compared to the other 3 properties. The Sheraton Center at 259$...the hotel is nice and renovated. However, I would never pay that amount for this hotel, maybe I'm just cheap, but that's just me. Hotels taxes in Montreal are very high, so this room will be over 300$ a night!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Sep 2, 2006 at 12:47 pm
Old May 24, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
The Sheraton Center at 259$...the hotel is nice and renovated. However, I would never pay that amount for this hotel, maybe I'm just cheap, but that's just me. Hotels taxes in Montreal are very high, so this room will be over 300$ a night!
I'm sure you meant that hotels taxes are very high in CANADA, not only in Montreal (3% local lodging taxes where GST at 7% and PST at 7.5% are equal across Canada)...

Last edited by Super Larry; May 24, 2006 at 1:25 pm
Old May 24, 2006, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Super Larry
I'm sure you meant that hotels taxes are very high in CANADA, not only in Montreal (3% local lodging taxes where GST at 7% and PST at 7.5% are equal across Canada)...
Actually here in the Maritimes hotel taxes are pretty much 14.5% (total) across the board... So, yes they are a little higher in Montreal. Don't get offended, I still love Montreal being a former Étudiant Montréalais, it's still my favorite place.
Old May 24, 2006, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
just returned from le Meridien Montreal

As a Gold I was "upgraded" to "Executive Elite Room" on the limited-access 14th floor. I never saw the other rooms so I don't know how this room compared to the others. I'm an SPG newbie, so I don't know whether my experience was standard or above or below expectations. I was pleased enough to be verbaly recognized as a Gold. No breakfast, etc as far as I could tell. The room itself had a queen bed (may even have been a double) but a nice sofa, large overstuffed chair, views looking north, and as others have mentioned nice toiletries.

The staff was very pleasant and very helpful. Not at all stuffy.

The lobby is quite small - has a concierge, front desk, a couple of pay phones, et c'est tout.

The business center is in the Chateau Meridien across the street, and has 2 computers and a printer. The internet connection was exceptionally slow, and the computers did not have PowerPoint.

Location: a bit far out from the main drag on Sherbrooke - about 3 blocks from rocking Crescent street, but a fairly long walk to rues St. Laurent and St. Denis, or Vieux Ville. About a 3 minute walk to a convenient Metro stop.

We paid $188-210 CAD per night including taxes, for 4 nights in late May. I thought it was a fair price for the room we got; I can't predict what my experience would have been if we had received a lesser room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.