Refund, three months later

Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Refund, three months later

Back in early October, I took a flight with my dog, travelling in cabin. At check-in, I was surprised to be charged $100, since the last I had checked, a few months earlier, the fee was $80.

On the return, I was charged only $80. The agent there said that $80 was the correct fee, the $100 fee was for a checked pet, and handed me a refund form. So I filled it out, as best as I could (I had no proof that she actually travelled in cabin on the outbound, other than the fact I had no checked bags at all), and mailed it off to Tulsa.

I never heard anything, and figured it wasn't worth pursuing any further. But lo and behold, checking my credit card online today, there's a $20 credit from AA, posted a mere three and a half months after the refund request was made.

Not sure if I should give them a ^ or a or a

Last edited by swag; Feb 19, 2006 at 12:21 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:43 pm
Suspended

I'm still waiting for a refund on an unused, refundable J flight coupon-- filed for it 12/10/05. Have called 918-254-3777-- conservatively-- about 20 times, never an answer, no voicemail, no human reachable at that number, it just says "call us back, we're busy!"
Used https://www.refunds.aa.com, shows last "action" on my refund was 1/10/06.

This -really- is not a system for AA to be proud of, to say the least.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm still waiting for a refund on an unused, refundable J flight coupon-- filed for it 12/10/05. Have called 918-254-3777-- conservatively-- about 20 times, never an answer, no voicemail, no human reachable at that number, it just says "call us back, we're busy!"

Odd -- their system for taking your money is so efficient.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, it's not. They took about three weeks to charge my card for some changes made to a ticket Dec 12. The charge finally went through mid-January, but I called a couple of times to make sure everything went through OK. Great business model... great IT system... I guess they were the first with a number of things (lounge, loyalty program, CRS, etc.) but they seem to be stuck with those old models.

(But normally, you are right - the money and points get deducted much more promptly than the refunds, credit, miles, upgrades, whatever are given.)

Originally Posted by gemac
Odd -- their system for taking your money is so efficient.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I can top that !

in JAN 05 I'm flown on America West from LAS - LAX. Had some problems on this itinerary, anyways I wrote a letter to the customer service...

In OCTOBER I recieved a letter witch a small compensation attached

They're the same like their planes... always a bit behind

Cheers :-:
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
As my daddy always use to say "I rather owe it to you than cheat you out of it."
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
If you need a fax number, 918-254-3967 will do the trick. If you need a supv. name, I can post or PM that as well. However, I am not able to guarantee that they will respond in a timely manner.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KIR@GCM
If you need a fax number, 918-254-3967 will do the trick. If you need a supv. name, I can post or PM that as well. However, I am not able to guarantee that they will respond in a timely manner.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. At least now I now 3 months is pretty "standard." Odd.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:27 pm

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Originally Posted by swag
I never heard anything, and figured it wasn't worth pursuing any further. But lo and behold, checking my credit card online today, there's a $20 credit from AA, posted a mere three and a half months after the refund request was made.
I had been incorrectly charged $100 for using miles within a week of the flight, when I had actually asked for the mileage upgrade 3 months prior to the flight. I call the PL desk. She said a refund would be sent to me shortly. That was in early January. Several weeks went by and, since no refund had been issued, I disputed the charge. Two weeks later I received the credit. Coincidence? I think not. Dispute the charge if you can. It seems to expedite your refund.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaynyc
I had been incorrectly charged $100 for using miles within a week of the flight, when I had actually asked for the mileage upgrade 3 months prior to the flight. I call the PL desk. She said a refund would be sent to me shortly. That was in early January. Several weeks went by and, since no refund had been issued, I disputed the charge. Two weeks later I received the credit. Coincidence? I think not. Dispute the charge if you can. It seems to expedite your refund.
For me personally, I don't dispute charges for things like that-- I save that for when I really need it and, personally, I don't think it's the right thing to do in my case. YMMV.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:05 pm

I've had the three month experience - this time to issue a voucher in exchange for a canceled non-refundable reservation. Since the voucher is valid for a year from the date of issue, this can slightly work in your favor if you weren't planning to use it any time soon (trip canceled March 3 2005, voucher issued dated end of May 2005, still haven't used it since I haven't been flying AA much this year...)
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz

I just went through this, as well. I faxed and called, etc. The best response I got came from entering an on-line "contact us" message FWIW.

The most maddening thing, of course, is not knowing if it's 'in process' or just lost.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Dealing with refunds on a ticket where a carrier claimed segments as being used that were never flown is no fun either.

I had a ticket that had the outbound as AA to BA to BA with a stopover between the BA flights. For some reason BA processed both BA segments as having been flown although only one of those two segments had been flown. I submitted to AA that it would have been physically impossible for me to have flown the segment that BA claimed I flew as I had: a) boarding passes; b) flight credit in my AAdvantage account; and c) immigration stamps, all of which indicated that I was elsewhere -- on another flight -- at the time of the flight which BA processed as having been flown. In the end, I got a good number of miles from AA for a mistake that seems to have been BA's fault.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.