Wiki Posts
Search

Top 10 list for a Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Top 10 list for a Honeymoon

I am assembling a "top 10" list for a friend for a honeymoon. Would love to hear any input! This would be in May 2007, for 12-14 days. Travel originating in NYC. Thanks!

1. Bali (Four Seasons & Aman)
2. Chiang Rai/ Golden Triangle (Four Seasons) & Chiang Mai (Mandarin)
3. Turks & Caicos (Amanyara)
4. Cape Town (Cape Grace Hotel) & Singita Resort
5. Mauritius (One and Only) with optional add on of London (Four Seasons)
6. Rome (IC) and Amalfi Coast (Hotel Santa Caterina)
7. Maui (Fairmont Kea Lani) & Kona (Four Seasons)
8. Cabo (One and Only)
9. Cairo (Four Seaons) & Sharm El Sheikh (Four Seasons)
10. Bora Bora in French Polynesia (Aman Resort)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN
very good choice!

what about...

* high-end african safari lodge (something like mala-mala)
* peru (cusco, inca trail...)
* buthan
* india (stay at converted palace hotels, swim in goa...)
* around the world "F-class" + the best city hotels for a stopover
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marco_polo73
very good choice!

what about...

* high-end african safari lodge (something like mala-mala)
* peru (cusco, inca trail...)
* buthan
* india (stay at converted palace hotels, swim in goa...)
* around the world "F-class" + the best city hotels for a stopover
Thanks for the feedback. I ruled out India because it is VERY hot in May. Is Mala Mala better than Singita? And what hotels/ resorts in Peru would you suggest?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:58 pm

Some thoughts below...

I've been to both the Four Seasons and Amankila. All are very nice. Bali is a good choice because you really can spend 2 weeks here and still have lots to do.

I'll be making this trip this May (and staying at the 4S Chiang Mai also). If you decide to do this, you may want to add in some beach time. There are lots of places in Thailand for this. During my time here I'll be hitting the beach at the Evason Hideaway Ana Mandara (Vietnam).

I'll be going in March - it looks nice - still not sure if it is worth the price tag. I cannot imagine staying here for 2 weeks, however.

I've never been, but I know that there are also some places closer to Cape Town that you could consider (Tsala comes to mind).

I've not been, but I know there are a lot of 5* places there (other than the O&Os). Be careful as I've heard that May is not the greatest time weather-wiseto be there and that it really makes a difference where on the island you are at that time. Also there is a 5* Taj and an Obeoroi there. If you're planning on being 'in the neighborood, you may want to consider Seychelles also - I've heard good things about the Banyan Tree there.

8. Cabo (One and Only)
I'm a much bigger fan of Esperanza here, but both are very nice. Again, though, 2 weeks - might be a bit long.

I did this a couple of years ago and it is a GREAT trip. Both of the 4S hotels in Cairo are first class and the Sharm resort is wonderful (as is the Oberoi in Hurghada).

Bora Bora was lovely, but the service is just so-so. If you want a similar experience with much better service (and better resorts, IHMO) try the Maldives. You could even combine a trip there with a stop in Sri Lanka (which has a couple of nice Amans). Of course, the weather will be better in Bora Bora at that time. There is also a new St. Regis opening there in June of this year.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Babu
I am assembling a "top 10" list for a friend for a honeymoon. Would love to hear any input! This would be in May 2007, for 12-14 days. Travel originating in NYC. Thanks!

8. Cabo (One and Only)
Some wonderful choices!

But re #10 it seems a no-brainer to pick another property. The Hotel Bora Bora just doesn't measure up. Probably would rank #4 on the island, behind the new St. Regis, the new Intercontinental, and Bora Bora Nui.

For Carribean, consider Sandy Lane and Parrot Cay? Also echo that Maldives should make the list as a destination.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:22 pm
nfc

Programs: WN AList; Delta Nada; Hilton DIamond; Marriot Gold
Looks like a pretty good list to me. I'd only make a few changes.

The Kea Lani is nice, but I'd pick the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua over the Fairmont. The Four Seasons in Kona is a great FS location.

8. Cabo (One and Only)
Cabo's not a good place for a honeymoon. Especially, if your friends can afford the other destinations. Also, the Palmilla is nice, but Las Ventanas al Paraiso is an even better experience.

If you're looking for a special honeymoon hotel in Mexico, La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo is an amazing hotel. I may be a bit biased since that's where Mrs. nfc and I honeymooned. It's a smaller hotel than most of those on your list, but it has excellent service and is a good destination for a laid back, quiet honeymoon.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:18 pm

If doing Chiang Mai, I might go for the Four Seasons. It was absolutely phenomenal, by far the best place I have ever stayed. The cooking school is amazing. Chef Pitak is wonderful! Food (at restaurants) is great, as is breakfast. Pool is beautiful; grounds are out of this world. Service is amazing. Word on the block is that the MO is a little generic and Disneyish (not meaning to disrespect MO). Supposedly it is very similar (read slightly a knockoff) of the FS. Also, it is flat and not really out in the valley as much, thus diminishing some of the beauty.

Also, I'm dieing to try the Golden Triangle FS. Please report back if you go.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist

8. Cabo (One and Only)
I would add the Cipriani in Venice. The city itself is perfect for a honeymoon, if you're into romantic, historic places...12-14 nights is too much, but 3-4 days would be perfect.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Maui is a good choice...

8. Cabo (One and Only)
In Maui, I do like the Ritz at Kapalua...but the Grand Wailea can't be beat.

Also, you never mentioned if cost was an issue...from the list I am assuming it's not.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Very grateful for everyone's input! No, cost is not an issue for this guy (the honeymooners are his daughter and would be S-I-L. I should have had parents so generous!). I mean, no private planes or anything...but no, cost is not a factor.

I am surprised by the Grand Wailea recommendation. I stayed at the Fairmont, and ate at the GW and thought it was very conventiony. I loved the Fairmont, and would stay there over the 4 Seasons in Maui. Everywhere we went, the Fairmont treated us and the kids somewhere between royalty and old friends (and this was our first stay!).
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Re: Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai - I would skip both and opt for Luang Prabang in Laos instead. The hotel scene is not as developed (there are some perfectly fine places, just not at the same deluxe level), but the town and its surroundings are, I think, far far more interesting and rewarding than CM/CR. IMO, Luang Prabang is in reality much closer to what the CM/CR marketers would have you believe their cities are like.

Another option would be to combine CM/CR with Luang Prabang - there's a two day cruise from Chiang Saen/Chiang Kong (near Chiang Rai) up the Mekong to Luang Prabang. I haven't done the cruise but I hear it's great.

- Michael
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by nfc
Cabo's not a good place for a honeymoon. Especially, if your friends can afford the other destinations.
I would beg to differ on this. I chose Cabo for my honeymoon. No, my budget was probably not as expansive as OP's friend, but I wanted to do nothing but RELAX and get WAITED ON. After considering a dozen different areas (including a couple places in Europe, the Caribbean, and random Pacific Islands), we decided on Cabo. Anyway, the locals are super friendly and catered well to "Americans;" and there's really not much going on except the sand, pools, food, spa and golf. I thought it was perfect for a honeymoon. Granted, I didn't want to do anything. No adventure mountain climbing, jungle touring, or anything like that... Just spend a perfect week with my new hubby. A couple nights, we did venture off into downtown Cabo San Lucas for some nightlife, but other than that it was nothing but pure relaxation.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
The Maldives are also a great place for a honeymoon, we spent ours at FS Kuda Hura.

I think that Singita woudl be a great spot too, it is a bit more luxurious that Mala Mala, especially if you look at Lebombo, which is quite remote - away from the Sabi Sands crowds. Having said that, 4 or 5 nights is probably the max for the game lodge.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF Silver,PP,PCR Gold,GP, Starwood, BA Exec,
Italy - Amalfi Coast

We went to the Amalfi Coast for our Honeymoon, stayed at the Plazzo Sasso in Revello, costed a fortune but was worth every cent! Would love to go back one day..
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:25 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
[QUOTE=Babu]
QUOTE]

Having been to Singita, I like the luxury camps of Botswana better because you get the same level of service but you really FEEL like you are in Africa. Check out the wilderness safaris website. Their best camps are King's Pool, Mombo and Jao (which I especially loved because of its gorgeous setting in the Okavango Delta). Very romantic.

On the other hand, now is an excellent time to recruit another Aman Junkie. Have them check out the Aman website and pick a spot that will be having good weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.