Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Gold versus Hilton Honors Diamond: What Are the Differences?

Old Sep 3, 2001, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I have requalify for Gold this year with 46 nights. And I am aiming to get 60 nights to shoot for Diamond...eventhough....i know it may not have a difference....but since I have stayed at Hilton properties mostly this year...i might just well get the top tier...

So any Diamonds out there see a real difference?

And would I be able to get great upgrades?

------------------
Albert
Old Sep 3, 2001, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
there are differences, although negligable IMHO

QUOTE]Originally posted by afang:
I have requalify for Gold this year with 46 nights. And I am aiming to get 60 nights to shoot for Diamond...eventhough....i know it may not have a difference....but since I have stayed at Hilton properties mostly this year...i might just well get the top tier...

So any Diamonds out there see a real difference?

And would I be able to get great upgrades?

[/QUOTE]

Old Sep 3, 2001, 5:24 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Once Hilton Diamond you're easily comped to other hotels...

Is this the answer you were looking for ?!

Old Feb 25, 2002, 6:18 am

Gold -> Diamond. Worth the trouble?

A question for Diamond members:

I'm a Gold member of HHonnors (who isn't) at the moment and using the 2 for 1 promotion I believe I can make Diamond with about 4 "extra" stays (some hotel hopping) by Mar 31. Is it worth the bother?

I'm looking for 2 things: Nicer rooms and the ability to get more for the Hilton points when I spend them. I don't really mind about the other features of Diamond (welcome gift, guaranteed reservations).

I've been to 3 properties in the last week (1 UK, 2 US) and had an upgrade at all three.
When I asked the front desk at each if I would have gotten anything more as a Diamond member, they said not really. So I ask you, what's a Diamond member get in the way of upgrades that a Gold member doesn't? Looking at the details on the Web site, I don't really see a difference in the kind of upgrades.

I've never redeemed any Hilton points before (I'm nearing 600K), but when I do I'd like to get the max for them. I see there are are no blackout dates for Diamond, but do you also get upgrades and such when redeeming points? Do you get better offers?

I wouldn't normally bother with Diamond, but as I'm not that far away and it looks like Diamond status would last until April 2004 it might be worth it as I'm planning on doing a good bit of travelling later this year.

When I travel it's my money I spend and I like to fly coach and stay at good business class hotels (Hilton & Marriott) to recover. In my mind, the hotel is a fixed cost but if Diamond/Gold get me more for that fixed cost then I'm very interested.

Your thoughts?
Old Feb 25, 2002, 7:20 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, and I'm only HHonors Gold, I'd surely go for Diamond IF I were that close!

---

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000628.html

Old Feb 25, 2002, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
If your travels take you to the "Hilton" part of the Hilton Family (normally in urban areas), then Diamond is worth it with Towers Level probabilities.

If you are going to be using Hampton Inns or Homewood Suites, which GENERALLY seem to be in suburban/rural areas, there is no real advantage in my experience.

As Doc noted, however, if you're close ...go for it...as you never can tell when you might need the assured reservation feature.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 8:17 am

The #1 reason to become a Diamond is the availability of properties for reward stays. As a Diamond I have never been told there is "no availability" for an award stay. As anyone knows try this if you are a Gold or anything less. A second diffence I have noted in staying outside the U.S. is that lounge access is almost always granted to Diamonds and not to other membership levels. If you make Diamond by the end of March you will have two years of these benefits.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 11:23 am

I've travelled as Gold and as Diamond. The upgrades are better as Diamond and you tend to get the lounge access without hassle(yes, I know we are all supposed to get it). The extra 25% point bonus helps too.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 1:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Here is the case for Diamond:

Called the Hilton reservation number and asked for a stay at a downtown MSY property for later that night. No availability anywhere, period. All hhonors properties are sold out. Would I like a room in Metarie?

So I hang up and call Diamond Desk: 'I understand what you want. Let me give this to a concierge and she'll call you right back.' [ring] 'Hello, Mr. Nutz. We have you at the Riverside Hilton for $189/nite.'

'Uhm, can you make that an award stay?'

'Sure! Just a sec. 55,000 points.'

'Uhm how about the Hampton Downtown?'

'Sure, award or revenue?'

'Er, Award?'

'OK. 45,000 points. No need to download a certificate, I'll just make the arrangements with the hotel.'

'Rightous. Thanks!'

Case closed.

Old Feb 25, 2002, 2:04 pm
W-N

Programs: AA PLT 3MM..... WN CP & A-List Preferred.... SPG Platinum
You said it yourself. "Who isn't Gold." Unfortunately, Hilton has diluted Gold status by giving it away to anyone that asks for it. That's not fair to those people that go out an earn it and should be changed.

That said, it's better being Diamond. No award problems, the Diamond Desk, and easier/better upgrades are some of the benefits.
Old Apr 27, 2002, 9:32 am

HHonors Diamond vs. HHonors Gold

HHonors Diamond has which advantage in comparison with HHonors Gold?
Old Apr 27, 2002, 10:10 am

The Diamond Desk and no blackouts on any reward reservation. Worth every extra stay it takes to get that status.
Old Apr 27, 2002, 10:35 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I've been a Diamond now for several months. No tangible impact on my revenue stays--same kinds of upgrades, same kinds of treatment as when a Gold. However, as NeverAtHome wrote, it's all about reward stays: the Diamond desk is squeezing me into a property where there would otherwise be no rooms available from HHonors points usage. Terrific!

(If you're into better treatment and upgrades, then Starwood's Platinum is MUCH better than their Gold.)
Old Apr 27, 2002, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And don't forget, diamonds earns points faster with the %50 bonus. And the guaranteed space if reserved at least 48 hours out. Saved my but a couple times in sold out cities.
Old Apr 27, 2002, 11:35 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
As a Diamond, when HH "squeezes" you in for an otherwise nonavailable award, is it at the full point redemption rate? Do they ever do this for Point Stretchers?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.