Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

NY GAYLA - SAVE THE DATE June 8-10, 2007

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priceline Titanium

NYC GAYLA CENTRAL

I've wanted to return the hospitality since the PHL do, but even more so after the PSP one. How about "A Weekend of Culture and Decadence" in May 2007? I know it's far off but it doesn't conflict with PSP or FLL that way. Would Memorial Day be better or worse for people's schedules?

Following GoodKarmaGuy's excellent formula, how about:

Schedule UPDATED 5/3/07

Friday, June 8, 2007

Friday pre-decadence culture. Meet at MoMA for Target Fridays. It's Free!

Friday night drinks - Drinks TBA.

After hours bar-hopping in the East-Village hosted by rchavez (because your host knows squat from diddly about East Village bars)

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Saturday afternoon at leisure, but there will be informal groups, picnicking, shopping and going to museums.

Saturday dinner at Pam Real Thai Encore - Good neighborhood Thai in Hells Kitchen, reasonably priced. This will be family style and prepaid.

Saturday 10 pm Burlesque show at the Zipper Theater (Hell's Kitchen) with the incomparable Wau Wau (pronounced "Vow Vow") Sisters. I'm not sure what these biologically female goddesses will do this time; the last thing I saw was a heavy metal semi-religious quasi-lesbian striptease aerial act. In school uniforms. With stigmata. Check 'em out for yourselves - http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
This will be a one hour show - general admission is $25 but we have a group discount of $20 - if 15 or more people attend it will be $15! This will be prepaid.

Saturday post-dinner Hells Kitchen bar survey, once again hosted by rchavez, because your host has Jewish liver and falls asleep after half a glass of wine.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sunday Brunch in Chinatown. Dim sum at Ping's Seafood.

Optional - but since ballet is what I do (presently I review ballet and dance performances in NYC, nationally and internationally - the travel is what brought me to Flyertalk), I'd be happy to bring a group to New York City Ballet to this program at 3pm if there's interest. http://www.nycballet.com/ticketing_i.../s07/ebal.html Cheap seats are all of $15.

Drinks send-off at 6pm. Not sure where yet, but someplace swank! Drink a $17 martini as a souvenir of New York and admire the view.

UPDATED 5/22/07

Who intends to join us

Yes

FlyBalletGuy
dek +1
Stsebastian
Bluesincenew
Peteropny +1
iluvparis
jockdaaddy
goodkarmaguy
awc4
kenct
jcinnyc +1
aviationkiwi +1
New York City Flyer
Horizons +1
Chtiet
PHLBuddy
izzik
Kudzu +1
howard-socal
Tummy +1
rchavez
Buster CT1K (Saturday)
OutofOffice
nroscoe
Tennen
GSR
jannis
Mary2e +1 (Saturday)
seeya
Fooko2002
Wireless +liver

Maybe

VillageFlyer +1

Last edited by FlyBalletGuy; May 30, 2007 at 6:14 am Reason: Attendee update
Old Mar 27, 2006, 5:48 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I will do my best to come - and also help with the arrangements if you'd like.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Yay, Peter

One specific question from the original post - is Memorial Day, 2007 a good or bad idea? I'm not at all married to it, though I think May is a good idea for both weather and activities. The feeling I'm getting from off-line messages is that it may not be a great weekend for locals (other travel plans) but it may be better for people coming in from far away.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by peteropny
I will do my best to come - and also help with the arrangements if you'd like.
I'll try to come too, with My Thai Guy as well ... he loves chicken feet -- really! :-)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:49 am

FBG - for us Memorial Day wouldn't be the best since we'll be coming back from SAN on Thurs. but it could work.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:17 am

I think a NY one sounds great. But my question is, is it too close to PSP? I guess at the same time that would depend on when PSP is. It's been in Jan, early March and now late March.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:20 am
Original Poster

From early messages, it looks like Memorial Day conflicts with too many already existing plans/events for folks.

How about either May 4-6, 2007 (first weekend in May) or June 15-17, 2007 (second weekend in June). Responding to umguy, mid-June gives people more time after PSP, the weather is reliable and there's plenty of kulcha on offer, too.

Lemme know!

Edit: June 17 is Father's Day. How about June 8-10 instead?

Witchel's law of scheduling: All dates are bad.

Last edited by FlyBalletGuy; Mar 28, 2006 at 9:27 am Reason: Looked at calendar with my glasses on. . .
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:29 am

But better yet. I'm not coming to yours unless you come to mine Get on the list!!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Darling, I thought I was good at the "invitation wrapped in a threat"

Let me check calendar and finances.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:36 am

FBG - any date you pick will have conflicts - at some point you just have to make a decision and go with it. I don't think that PSP will move any later (seems like people prefer March since its warmer, I personally like Jan since its a nice break after the holidays and with MLK weekend, many have a 3 day weekend already anyways) since we're running into Dinah Shore weekend and White Party weekend - if you think we had a hard time getting things arranged this past weekend, it will be impossible on those 2 weekends.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
Darling, I thought I was good at the "invitation wrapped in a threat"

Let me check calendar and finances.
I have a short phrase for you. Jet Blue 69 dollars each eway
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
How could we miss this?! Thanks in advance for your hospitality, FBG!

David
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
From early messages, it looks like Memorial Day conflicts with too many already existing plans/events for folks.

How about either May 4-6, 2007 (first weekend in May) or June 15-17, 2007 (second weekend in June). Responding to umguy, mid-June gives people more time after PSP, the weather is reliable and there's plenty of kulcha on offer, too.

Lemme know!

Edit: June 17 is Father's Day. How about June 8-10 instead?

Witchel's law of scheduling: All dates are bad.
June 9 will be Pride Day in BOS... always the second Saturday of June. Why not Pride Weekend in NYC (it's the last Sunday of June, isn't it)??? At least there will be plenty to do :-)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Sorry - I won't deal with Pride. It's way too chaotic for me.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:32 pm

Sorry - I won't deal with Pride. It's way too chaotic for me.
Understood....

BOS Pride is very nice. The parade is about an 60-90 minutes long, and then everyone relaxes on Boston Common.

I went to NYC Pride once (my home town!), and it just didn't have the community feeling... too long, too crowded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.