Ride report - Nissan 350Z

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 5:35 pm
NNH
Original Poster

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Ride report - Nissan 350Z

My girlfriend has been falling for the 350Z for a while now, so I rented one for our weekend away in San Diego. We picked it up around on 3/25, and I was interested to see at least 8 of them in the lot ready to go. I paid $75/day.

Driving: With 274hp, it certainly felt pretty quick. The gas and brake pedals are rather light, so for a while we both found that it was easy to "kangaroo" the car, especially in traffic, but out on the PCH and the freeway, there was always plenty of smooth power. The steering is very direct, and the ride was less bumpy than I expected in such a sporty car.

Interior and quality: The interior is fairly simple, with the gauges aimed at the driver's eyeline. The Bose CD/Radio/Satellite had pretty good sound quality, but the rear speakers fire right into the back of the seats muffling the sound a little. It took a while to get used to the big blind spots, but the good side mirrors helped. The trunk is large not very tall, and the front half of it is under the rear screen which made me a little nervous about the possibility of people seeing our luggage and breaking in. I didn't keep a close eye on gas mileage, but we put in around 16 gallons, in probably 300 miles.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:58 am

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
I wasn't as impressed with the 350Z as I thought I would be. I rented one at LAX for 3 days during a business trip and was glad to return it at the end. Interestingly, it was cheaper to rent a 350Z than to rent a midsize car!

Luggage space is minimal, making it impractical for rentals longer than a weekend. My Samsonite 22" hardcase luggage barely fit under the decorative hoop in the hatch area. I had to finagle my wheeled computer case under the hatch as well.

The 5speed auto needs another gear at highway speeds to reduce the annoying exhaust drone-which I found to be unacceptable. The exhaust note at idle and acceleration were thrilling, though. It wasn't as fast as I would've thought, either.

The gunslit views made lane changing challenging. Side mirrors helped some. It felt like sitting in a high sided bathtub-very claustrophobic. Park assist sensors (front AND rear) are a necessity in this car.

Radio was nice, cupholder was useless. The dangling Hertz carkeys kept hitting my thigh. Xenon headlights worked well with a decent pattern.

it's great fun for weekends, but I definitely wouldn't pick it as an everyday car. Personally, I'd pick the Inifniti G35 coupe over the 350Z if I had to pick a 2 door coupe from Nissan. I was more impressed with a G35 sedan rental I had earlier in the year than the 350Z.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:12 am

A little tip for 350z / 370zs, they will be DOGS if filled up with std. 87 octane gas. THey will have less response than a Camry. Pony up for the 93octane when you refill the tank, and the car will be much more fun as the computer adjusts the timing back.

Same should be true for a G37 / G37, Murano, or Altima v6.

We were able to fit 2 22" carryon bags in there + computer bags.

I've never been impressed with the car. They don't have the get-up and go of my 2000 Mustang GT, or even a 2005+ v6 Mustang. THe handling is good, but lacks some steering feel. The ride is also pretty rough - this is coming from a guy who's car is modified for road racing. If you have the choice between a 350z and a G35/g37 coupe, go for the coupe hands down - you'll get a better ride and capacity with nearly the same handing and the same motor.

Last edited by jfranci3; Apr 22, 2009 at 9:23 am
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Well, I don't know what to say about this....

I OWN a 94 300zx and a 05 350z convertible 6 speed manual. I don't think I would ever rent one because whats the point of that? I LOVE my cars
They are both quick as hell, get great gas mileage and yes you have to put premium in them.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
rented both the Roadster and Coupe. Having driven plenty of small cars back when I was a teen, it was easy to jump in the car and drive. Hits 100mph easy enough and it handles great. it rattles a bit but at 29K miles and a stiff suspension, I expected it. I love the exhaust note but the 370Z is a clearly superior car as it just as hardcore but with much more creature comforts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.