Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Manhattan Hotel New York City (formerly Sheraton Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Manhattan Hotel New York City (formerly Sheraton Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:56 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Arrow Manhattan Hotel New York City (formerly Sheraton Manhattan) [Master Thread]

I did an intensive search but it seems there currently are no reports about the Sheraton Manhattan, only about the two blocks away Sheraton NYC.

What will await us at the Sheraton Manhattan (3 rooms booked on the 129$ current webspecial) regarding to rooms and a possible suite upgrade? The confirmation states Sweet Sleeper Beds, the photos on the website show older rooms only. Did they do some recent remodelling? Do they have a number of Suites or are there very few and hard to come by...?

I'm traveling with 2 couples and a collegue who will be in my room and it would be very nice to get one suite with a living room and sofa bed that I can offer to my collegue.

We are staying Jan30-Feb1st.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Do you have status? If so it would only apply to you
Old Jan 14, 2004, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
When I checked in, I was told that they do not upgrade golds, they have no club floor, and that there weren't any recently renovated rooms.

The result was a large, dated room, with cracked marble in the bathroom and cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling.

I took it in stride, as it was my first stay as an spg gold, and that the future had to hold better things. (Also, I was on a pay 2 stay three special).

If you think of it this way . . . deep discounts at a large midtown hotel when NYC travel is seriously rebounding . . . kinda makes you think its not really that nice a place. And you would be right.

If using this hotel as a jumping off point for sightseeing and only sleeping in the hotel its doable . . otherwise I would recommend staying somewhere else.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:17 pm

Just checked in. Was offered the Platinum amenity (took the miles) and because there's no lounge was given a $50 Cert for meals at this property or accross the street.

No room upgrade. I'm on the top floor in a tiny room with noisy plumbing. The HSIA works which is ket for the short time I'll be in the room!
Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sdix:
Just checked in. Was offered the Platinum amenity (took the miles) and because there's no lounge was given a $50 Cert for meals at this property or accross the street.

No room upgrade. I'm on the top floor in a tiny room with noisy plumbing. The HSIA works which is ket for the short time I'll be in the room!
</font>
Wow, $50 because they don't have a lounge.....I would much rather have a $50 lower rate. :-)

Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Forgot to say: yes, I am spg platinum.

The hotel directory says they have some 700 rooms and 7 suites... Why did I choose this property...

Maybe I should try to secure a suite upgrade with points in advance?

Has anybody seen a suite in this property already?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:56 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I will be staying there next weekend. I booked it on Priceline at a rate of 75 bucks a night not including charges. Not a bad deal. I wonder if my plat card will get me anything.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sdix:

</font>
Interesting. I have two co-workers in the Manhattan this week. Both platinum, they were given passes for the buffet breakfast in the restaurant in lieu of the lounge. They also said that their rooms are much larger than the rooms across the street at the Sheraton NY, where we typically stay (was full due to conventions this week). They described it as new furniture and beds, but dated decorations, paint, carpet, etc.

Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:30 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tfong007:
I will be staying there next weekend. I booked it on Priceline at a rate of 75 bucks a night not including charges. Not a bad deal. I wonder if my plat card will get me anything. </font>
Probably no in-hotel benefits, but you can certainly try.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
The Sheraton Manhattan does have an indoor pool. It's better than your average hotel pool (although not as cool as those waveless pools in the Hilton Executive hotels). Other than that the one across the street is much better, although I find the non-renovated rooms there to be quite musty.

As a Gold I always seem to get one of 3 rooms (1214, 1215 and one other), and the TV remote always seems to be broken.

Oh, and last time I was in NYC the NY Towers was full even though I had a reservation (this happened to a lot of people; I think they were having some sort of Howard Dean fundraiser), so they sent me across the street with a reduction in the room rate, free gym access, and meal coupons I never used. My wakeup call never came on one of the mornings (got 7000 miles in compensation)
Old Jan 16, 2004, 3:38 pm

Tim.

Any word on how the gold rooms (1200's) were at the Sheraton Manhattan? Have a stay booked in a couple of weeks there and wonder what they'll be like.

Thanks in advance.

Toronto Traveler
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:51 am

It's been a while but I've always been disappointed in the Sheraton Manhattan compared to the Sheraton New York--aside from the pool at the Manhattan when my kids have been with me (and even then there is the option to go across the street and use the pool, although just crossing the street to the pool is not a small matter in NYC). I have always found the Sheraton NY to be much nicer, more modern, and more chance of gold upgrades than the Manhattan.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 6:20 am
Original Poster

As an update:

Our stay was this weekend. Upon checkin we got one corner suite with a very large living room (incl. two sofa-beds) and two standard rooms on the 16th floor. Nice touch on a 129$ rate!

The rooms were quite nice and larger than the average NYC hotel room.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:14 am
dzh

Location: London, UK. Hilton Gold, SPG Plat, UA PremEx, AmEx Centurion
Question Sheraton Manhattan New York City [Master Thread]

I've read mixed reports about the Sheraton Manhattan, some of which imply that it has been undergoing renovation. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience. In particular I'd like to know about the state of standard rooms and the fitness centre. I'm SPG Plat but would be staying part paid & part reward so I would not hold out much hope for an upgrade!

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dzh
I've read mixed reports about the Sheraton Manhattan, some of which imply that it has been undergoing renovation. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience. In particular I'd like to know about the state of standard rooms and the fitness centre. I'm SPG Plat but would be staying part paid & part reward so I would not hold out much hope for an upgrade!

Thanks
I've never stayed there, but have had co-workers who did. Gym is weak, but you have full access to the Sheraton NY across the street. The pool is located in the Manhattan, so if you're a swimmer, that's a plus.

Not sure about rooms, but plats get a hot buffet breakfast in the restaurant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.