Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '06 Chrysler 300C AWD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '06 Chrysler 300C AWD

Got a nice upgrade this week on my F reservation... ^

http://www.chrysler.com/300/index.html

From the Chrysler website, my particular model was well-loaded in 300C trim (yeah, it's got a Hemi ), coupled with AWD. It was also optioned with SIRIUS satellite radio and a power sunroof, for a grand total of $36,770 (MSRP).

Power: The 300C comes standard with the famous 5.7L Hemi V8 pumping out 340 hp -- as would be expected, power is never an issue, and the Hemi sings a very smooth and muscular tone when revved. I have to exercise extreme restraint from punching the throttle while driving this car. . The Mercedes-designed five-speed automatic is a model transmission, executing shifts smoothly and promptly, while offering a responsive manual shift mode. With the multi-displacement system (MDS), the V8 shuts down one bank of cylinders during light driving, so fuel economy is around 17/24 mpg city/highway. In mixed driving, I've been getting a little over 18 mpg, which may be too low for those used to the low-to-mid 20s mpg that other vehicles in this class provide.

Ride/Handling: The 300C is quite entertaining to drive, and thanks to some Mercedes influence in its mechanicals, feels more like a European sports sedan than a highway barge. Steering is communicative and precise, and the solid chassis and AWD drivetrain helps keep the 300C controlled on even the twistiest of roads. Ride is generally taut, but those used to Azera/Avalon levels of cushiness may find it a bit stiff, especially because of the standard 18" wheels. Brakes are firm and pedal feel is solid, with little mushiness. Standard ESP and traction control, along with the aforementioned AWD, provides excellent traction. It's no sports car, but for a large sedan, the 300C will definitely appeal to enthusiasts.

Interior: The Chrysler's cabin is simple and well-designed, with logical ergonomics and plenty of space. A few trim pieces could be nicer, but overall, materials quality is good. Build and tactile quality were excellent, and overall cabin space is comparable to other large sedans. The seats have a firmer feel than the typical large sedan, but combined with the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, finding a comfortable driving position is easy. The trunk seemed a bit small to me, but it does have 15.6 cu. ft. of space and a wide opening.

Design: I love the design of the 300C, inside and out. The exterior has an aggressive, yet elegant shape, and the imposing grille and high beltline convey a combination of historic Chrysler styling cues and Bentley-like presence. While the small windows may sometimes impact visibility, overall the design doesn't detract from the useability of the car. The interior is similarly appealing, with a simple design, and classy touches of chrome and "tortoise-shell" trim (though I'd actually like to see more of this trim on the dash itself).

Features: The typical range of features was included, such as automatic climate control, power leather seats and a premium Boston Acoustics sound system.

Value: If I remember correctly, the 300 Touring (V6) is classed under YG, but the 300C Hemi that I have is in the H class. This is now my new favorite in this rate class, as it has the comfort and space of the Avalon/Azera/Amanti, but also the sportiness of the G35/Zephyr. In that respect, the 300C is the best of both worlds if you're looking for something in the H segment.

To sum it up:

The Good
Alluring design
Comfortable and spacious interior
Plenty of power
Capable driving dynamics

The Bad
Interior could use a bit more design detail
Fuel consumption may be too high for some
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:26 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
How much extra $ per day, prashok?

And they have Zephyrs? Wow. I need to rent more often to see the latest and greatest.

Good report.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
No extra charge. Finally, renting every week from SFO is starting to have its rewards -- as of late, I haven't been getting anything below a F no matter what I reserve, unless I specifically want something in C or D.

The Zephyrs are definitely nice -- from what I could gather, they will actually be replacing the G35s now, as most of those are starting to leave the fleet.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:48 pm

I got one this week in CLE. It's a wonderful upgrade from an F. Larger interior and much cooler than a Grand Marquis.

A little more floaty than the Magnum RT, which I think I prefer over the 300c. I love the HEMI. Better gas mileage than my current car and better performance. I hope they do something about the cheap interiors for 2007.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:14 am
Original Poster

IIRC, the model refresh for the 300C is planned for '08, so that should see a major interior update as well... ^
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Upgraded...

Originally Posted by prashok
Got a nice upgrade this week on my F reservation... ^

The Bad
Interior could use a bit more design detail
Fuel consumption may be too high for some
I got one of these things with only 560km in YVR on an F reservation last week too......nice ride, it was fully loaded and had leather and bi-xenon lights, etc....didn't fare bad with the valet at Lumiere, either....

Downside....gas was $40 for a two-day drive (in YVR....a very small city)!! Barely drove it.....not even 150km.....
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:10 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by jkc22
I got one of these things with only 560km in YVR on an F reservation last week too......nice ride, it was fully loaded and had leather and bi-xenon lights, etc....didn't fare bad with the valet at Lumiere, either....

Downside....gas was $40 for a two-day drive (in YVR....a very small city)!! Barely drove it.....not even 150km.....
Whats your status with Hertz?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by rgeer
Whats your status with Hertz?
5*

YVR has been good to me......a month ago got an S80, reserved F.....

I must say YVR has improved a lot from what it was before....
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:49 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Once got a 300C AWD w/o the HEMI, not much better than a YF Taurus and certainly not H class worthy.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Pulled into RSW to find an old Taraus in my stall. I needed a vehicle that would haul 5 in style so I went up to the Gold Service Desk and asked what was on special. Obviously an S-Type or Mustang wasn't what I was looking for, so they pointed me in the direction of the 300C. For $10 more per day I recieved a 300C Touring AWD with Sirius, Sunroof, Leather, 18 inch wheels. Nice car but it didn't have the Hemi. This vehicle was listed as an H Class...

IMO,

Pros:
*Nice amount of passenger space
*Smooth riding
*Good Looking

Cons:
*Terrible gas millage (17 city 21 hwy)
*Small trunk
*Horribly underpowered

If I was doing the same thing with the vehicle again, I probibly would take this again over a GM/CV, but the car is useless unless you want to haul people....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.