Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Milesaaver biz class awards to Japan/China?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
No Milesaaver biz class awards to Japan/China?

I'm looking to plan a vacation in SE Asia for later this year. Was hoping to get two tickets in biz class from Chicago to Tokyo or Shanghai.

What's interesting is that no matter what dates I choose, there are absolutely no milesaaver business class awards available... all the way into early 2007. Even in planes where business class is completely empty. Or in planes where ALL classes are completely empty.

Even as much as I fly, i hardly have enough miles for two AAnytime biz class awards to Asia. I'm wondering why AA even bothers to publish milesaver awards -- seems deceptive to have an award category available (biz class Japan/North China milesaaver) and not have a single seat on any plane available for redemption.

Not too many years ago, I was able to redeem oneworld round-the-world tickets in business class for less mileage than the AAnytime biz class award that is just to/from Japan. I don't know if that's the right approach, or to call and see if there is any inventory on CX (HKG would be an ok destination too), or just to grumble and use the miles for the next trip to Florida.

Anyone have any tips? Would I have better results if I called the platinum hotline?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ka9taw
Would I have better results if I called the platinum hotline?
Yes, much. Looking on-line is a waste of time in this case. Many, many ways to get you there, you have to call.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd certainly call the AAdvantage CS number (there is no "Platinum hotline," merely a number Platinums use to the usual AA CSAs,) but they can look for you on AA and partners (e.g. Japan Airlines, etc.) with some day / date flexibility, as well as airports (e.g. if this is a holiday, maybe other destinations than Tokyo would be better and easier anyway.) The lack of availability could be an artifact, or not. Obviously AA is trying / wishing it could sell every seat...
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Since you are looking to go to Asia I would suggest signing up for access to Japan Airlines' Mileage Bank award finder and Asia Miles (for Cathay Pacific). I have used both of these with great sucess for finding Y, J, and F awards anywhere from in a few weeks to 330 days away. From looking earlier this week on Asia miles I saw that CX had a fair amount of J availability for next January and February, but you better call soon!

Also, as a note, just because these two websites do show availability doesn't necessarily mean it will be available to AAdvantage. That said, IME, it is a relatively accurate indicator.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'd certainly call the AAdvantage CS number (there is no "Platinum hotline," merely a number Platinums use to the usual AA CSAs,) but they can look for you on AA and partners (e.g. Japan Airlines, etc.) with some day / date flexibility, as well as airports (e.g. if this is a holiday, maybe other destinations than Tokyo would be better and easier anyway.) The lack of availability could be an artifact, or not. Obviously AA is trying / wishing it could sell every seat...
I second everyone's sugguestion is to call AA line directly. We had pretty good lucks using JL via NRT. But, I will still suggest that you do check aa.com on & off since availability does change; and don't forget to check not just ORD to NRT/PVG, but also LAX to NRT and SJC to NRT. Be flexible and good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.