Wiki Posts
Search

In which we discuss bagels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:17 am
Original Poster

In which we discuss bagels

http://www.amny.com/entertainment/dining/

An exerpt from the article $22 for the city's priciest bagel, on the above site:

One of the last bastions of cheap eats in New York is one of the city's most famous delicacies -- the bagel.

Bagels fit college budgets. They help folks rationalize eating out. They are breakfast, often lunch and sometimes even dinner.

Most bagels will cost less than a dollar without toppings, but a few stand out -- costing a dollar or more sans schmear.

But of course, you'll get extras: Going for lox and cream cheese can cost you $6 or $7. But when location enters the picture, things get really interesting.

How does $22 for a bagel sound? That's what you'll pay at the Ritz-Carlton's Atelier restaurant for a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel.
a) What is your favorite type of bagel?

I've never really been a big fan of cream cheese and salmon, to be honest, so mine is walnut raisin cream cheese.

b) What would you pay for a bagel?

Anything under $15, really.

c) What is your favorite New York bagel spot?

I haven't found a favorite - yet!
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Wonder if they include coffee for $22?

The article keeps referring to a topping
I've never heard of this expression associated with a bagel before. Ice cream yes. Bagels NO.

The article talks about where to find cheap bagels. Most New Yorkers don't care about the price of a bagel. We want to know if it's good.

My favorite is an 'everything' bagel.

As for the best bagel (and most $$$), I'd have to say H&H on Broadway and 81 street.

As a matter of fact, I'm headed out shortly to get a dozen bagels. Sunday morning bagel runs are a NY tradition.

dh
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
As for the best bagel (and most $$$), I'd have to say H&H on Broadway and 81 street.
My family raised me on the belief that H&H was the best. When I was growing up in Iowa, we used to get them FedExed out there (with nova from Murray's Sturgeon Shop) for special occasions. But I've since come to the conclusion that H&H is actually quite overrated. While a fresh H&H bagel will put a not-so-fresh bagel from anywhere to shame, they're overpriced ($11 for a dozen?), too big, and too sweet.

The best bagels I've had are at Absolute Bagels on Broadway between 107th and 108th St. A couple of their varieties (like pumpernickle-raisin) throw off some bagel traditionalists. But it's tough to beat their sesame.

The NYT did a big story on bagel-making a couple years ago that mentioned Absolute:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/31/di...rtner=USERLAND
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Wow I really want a bagel right now....
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by themicah

The best bagels I've had are at Absolute Bagels on Broadway between 107th and 108th St. A couple of their varieties (like pumpernickle-raisin) throw off some bagel traditionalists. But it's tough to beat their sesame.
I recently discovered Absolute and share your opinion.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I'm going to go with themicah on H&H being overrated--lived around the corner for five years and probably only went there twice or so. Unfortunately I think this type of bagel has become the mainstream.

Does Columbia Bagels (somewhere around 110 & Broadway) still exist? I remember their bagels as being quite good.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer
Does Columbia Bagels (somewhere around 110 & Broadway) still exist? I remember their bagels as being quite good.
They tore down the building a couple years ago, and AFAIK it never reopened.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hairpeace
a) What is your favorite type of bagel?
Very light plain hot from the oven.
b) What would you pay for a bagel?
All I care about is if the bagel is good. Authentic bagels are not overpriced. You'd pay $15 for a bagel? Wow, I need to go into the bagel business.

c) What is your favorite New York bagel spot?
Depends on my mood.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Depends on my mood.
Not in a very chatty mood, I see.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
In NYC, when you put it on a bagel, it's called lox.

Call it "salmon", it's no wonder they charge you over $20...
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
I'm partial to the Montreal bagels ^
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I've never strayed from Bell Bagel on Foster Avenue in Brooklyn. $3 for a dozen and they're warm and luscious. In a restaurant I've paid $20 for a platter that comes with three bagels, lox, sturgeon and salad and cream cheese. ohhhh I'm hungry now.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, Qantas
Originally Posted by Calcifer
The building was re-developed and should re-open this spring/summer. Since I live around the corner, I really hope Columbia Bagels and West Side Market return!

In the meantime, I've been enjoying bagels from Absolute - definitely chewier and a more manageable size than H&H. Mmmm. There's also Nussbaum & Wu but their bagels are average.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Hmm, now I cant remember the name of the place. Last time there was a thread on bagels a lot of people recommended a place in Queens, on the LIE eastbound access road. My wife and I went there one Saturday morning and they were spectacular. Havent been back due to trying to keep down the carbs, but now Im going to have to go back soon. Maybe whoever suggested it last time (more than one person) can post the name. As for $15 for a bagel, I would put it in the category as the $25-$50 burgers at DB Bistro. They may taste really good, but they arent really the same food as the basic.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:19 am

So where should I go to get a great bagel in NYC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.