Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

do passengers stay onboard when crossing the US/Canadian border?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

do passengers stay onboard when crossing the US/Canadian border? thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by sandra_w
It's been many years since I've crossed the border by rail, but it was (and I think still) yes. The C&I officials board the train and check all the passengers. The only ones who get off, besides the C&I officials, are passengers being taken for more questioning. (This happens VERY rarely - I have never seen it!)

The one exception is Vancouver, BC for Amtrak to Seattle. There you clear Customs even before departure!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by sandra_w
Actually US Customs has just started a new procedure on the Maple Leaf (the train from Toronto to NY City). If you are a US citizen or a Canadian citizen, then yes you will remain on board the train assuming that all your documents are in order.

However if your citizenship is anything other than US or Canadian, you will have to disembark the train and go into the building to clear customs. I believe that the new procedure will also require anyone doing that, to pay a fee for the processing to enter the US.

So far I've not heard of this procedure having spread to any other train. AFAIK, it is a pilot program that will be evaluated after 6 months. I think it's been running now for at least 2 months.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Here's the link on Amtrak

Try this:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...54273&ssid=345
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by the_traveler
The one exception is Vancouver, BC for Amtrak to Seattle. There you clear Customs even before departure!
Last year I took the Cascades Vancouver to Seattle. Before boarding I passengers went through Customs and they asked some questions. Then right at first station across the border (Blaine ?) the train stopped and officials came onboard with dogs. They also spoke to each passenger individually and looked at ID. I am not sure where they took the customs cards though
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:23 am

Is this the procedure on Amtrak buses from Vancouver to Seattle too?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:09 pm

Buses are Different

With buses, passengers are generally required to disembark and go through the customs/immigration facility.

One sort of wonders why we bother with all this when people hopscotch through the border informally all the time, to the tune of 12 million.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:39 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AGR, Club Carlson
On the Vancouver Seattle Casacade Train, you clear US Immigration inside Pacific Central Station right before you board the train and have your luggage security screened by an X-ray machine. When the train reaches Blaine, WA which is not a station stop, the Customs officers board the train with the sniffing dogs and collect your customs declaration cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.