Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEAVING IN 2009: Sheraton (Papeete) Tahiti [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEAVING IN 2009: Sheraton (Papeete) Tahiti [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2003, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Arrow LEAVING IN 2009: Sheraton (Papeete) Tahiti [Master Thread]

Can someone please post the thread of the review of the new Sheraton(?) I believe, in Tahiti-the one with the over-water bungalows? Thanks..
Old Aug 5, 2003, 3:09 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Sheraton (Papeete) Tahiti [Master Thread]

I won a week at this hotel in Papeete (I think, papers to sign on the way) w/ airfare. I did a search in this thread and, suprisingly, I did not find much posted. It is a Category 3, so not near being a resort hotel....So, I am just looking for some comments from anyone who has stayed in this hotel recently about their experience? Anything from rooms, service, upgrades, pools, location, nightlife, hotel food, internet service in hotel or availability of cybercafe nearby, etc.

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by gpapadop (edited 08-05-2003).]
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:45 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Hotel is nice. Stayed there in 8/01. But it should really be just a springboard for you to explore the islands. You can take a boat over to Moorea, or a flight to any one of many islands(including Bora Bora) within 30 minutes. Don't stay in Papeete for the whole week when the islands have so much more to offer.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold, DL Silver, AA Gold
Sheraton (Papeete) Tahiti [Master Thread]

I'm staying in Papeete in a few weeks (for a few days after a Princess Cruise) - and just became SPG Gold. I'm usually a Hilton person, so this will be my first experience with SPG Gold. Although I'm sure that Tahiti is likely different than other SPGs, I'm wondering if anyone was stayed at the Sheraton there and can offer advice on what to expect. Would it be helpful to e-mail ahead and beg for an upgrade? Any other tips? Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 8:53 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Welcome to SPG! You'll find that, unlike other chains, you don't have to beg for an upgrade. Most properties are quite compliant with the member perks. As a Gold, however, you are not really at the same tier as HHonors Gold. It's more like HHonors Silver.

I've been to the Tahiti Sheraton(Papeete) and it's nice, on the water, clean, good staff, nice pool area. If they have an upgraded room during your stay, they'll likely have you taken care of in advance.
Old May 23, 2004, 6:54 pm

We're doing a cruise, that will touch on Moorea and Bora Bora. But we are spending one pre-night in Papeete. And feel that a dayroom would serve us well for a few hours rest the day of departure.
And, yes FP is expensive. The only way I've done it, is researching best, best prices. Of which I am satisfied with.
I was hoping someone might have another website I could visit to give us a good hotel price.
Old May 23, 2004, 11:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 2 Million Miler Star Gold, AA Million Miler, Exec Plat
Message Boards

When I traveled to Tahiti last November, I found this message board very helpful - including tips on how to convert money here in the US at 20% better than published F/X rates...

http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/cgibi...ultimatebb.cgi
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Bring your printed, confirmed rate

As a word of caution, I did the online (not prepaid) 35% off thing for the Sheraton PPT a couple of months ago, also for a one night stay. Made sure I kept a copy of my receipt and had it with me. Luckily I did, because they tried to charge me normal rates when I checked out. So be wary and make sure the rate you end up paying is the one you signed up for in the end...

...or better, of course.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There is no Westin on Tahiti. There's a Sheraton.

Most people use Tahiti just for an overnight stay. That's really the best way to approach it -- if your flight schedule requires a night on Tahiti, fine, the Sheraton is probably an okay hotel close to the airport.

If you've never been to French Polynesia before, definitely visit Bora Bora (about a 50 minute flight from Tahiti) and possibly Moorea (maybe a 10 minute flight from Tahiti). There are Starwood properties on both islands, btw.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:17 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
I agree, the Sheraton Tahiti is not the place to experience Polynesia. We stayed there for one night and that was enough.

It is very close to the airport, or in other words under the flight pass. A handfull of flights arrive and leave throughout the night, which makes this and most other hotels around Papeete very noisy. It seems the Sheraton has a live band at the pool bar on weekends, which can be heard in most rooms. Also when we stayed there, a party with loud music was going on in the ball room.

Overall, we found it was not a good choice for the one night stay after a long flight.

The hotel seemed ok otherwise, pool, good restaurant, nice bar, average rooms. A little on the expensive side, like everything in Tahiti. But don't spend an entire vavation, take gleffs advice and go to another island.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Btw, my French Polynesia trip report - which includes discussion of the Sheraton Tahiti - can be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444681
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:47 am

A few quick q's about the Sheraton PPT (couldn't find this info after searching SPG, FT, and numerous Tahiti-travel BB's); in their web page they offer "(limited) airport transfers": does anyone know the schedule? For those who have been there: is it possible to take Le Truck to the property if we arrive close to midnight (we won't have a lot of luggage)? And finally, is this property ever offered as a cash-'n'-points award?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doubt they'll participate in cash & points. Still a good value as a cat 3 award. Wouldn't be the worst idea to book award nights for 2006 now (provided the rate plan is available...) as a hedge against an increase to cat 4.

Sorry I can't answer your question about airport transfers or Le Truck. I would be *shocked* if they offered complimentary transfers, I'm pretty sure that hotels are prohibited from doing so on Tahiti.

Cost of my cab from the airport to the Sheraton (day rate) was 1900 CFP. Cost of my return to the airport (since it was before 6am) was 2500 CFP.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:27 am

Programs: NWA Plt,AA ExPlt,UA Pre,USAir Gld,*wood Plat, HIL Gld, Hyatt Gld, PriorityCl Plt, Marriot Silv
Originally Posted by honu
A few quick q's about the Sheraton PPT (couldn't find this info after searching SPG, FT, and numerous Tahiti-travel BB's); in their web page they offer "(limited) airport transfers": does anyone know the schedule? For those who have been there: is it possible to take Le Truck to the property if we arrive close to midnight (we won't have a lot of luggage)? And finally, is this property ever offered as a cash-'n'-points award?
Yes Le Truck stops right across from the hotel. I dont know Le Truck's schedule but if its running, it will stop at the hotel(tell them thats where you want to go)

p.s. I'm not a huge fan of this hotel. Preferred the IC Tahiti much more. Hopefully your just passing thru on the way to Bora Bora Nui or other.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Originally Posted by honu
We had a day room at this property on our way back to the US. I don't think Le Truck runs in late evening -- we took one from Papeete town back to the IC hotel at the beginning of our trip, after dinner at a roulotte (so probably around 9 pm). The Truck was empty except for us -- could have been the last run. (You might find more exact info on the Tahiti Explorer site, http://www.tahitiexplorer.com/frames/travel-index.html, or the Cruise Critic board for S. Pacific)

Also, I understand that Tahiti hotels do not offer shuttles: an expensive taxi is probably the only option (must be a taxi-driver union). Your flight gets in late, after a long trip -- be nice to yourself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.