Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does UA Friends Plus work?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Fee to Use Friends Plus Cert

This is the 'Don't laugh at a gift Horse in the Mouth" story...

I got a hand full of the new FriendsPlus certs yesterday, just in time to book my Amsterdam flight within the seven day window, today. One Cert, for three people saved us almost $300.00.

This is when you're saying, "What can be wrong with the story?"...

We'll, beside the fare in late October being $728.00, I was charged the ticketing fee to use the cert...$10.00 for each of the three.

I would understand this considering the new ticketing policy, if I had other ways to use this certificate. You can use this certificate at UAL.com for domestic flights only...not international.

So this was the story, "Here is a gift, but we are going to charge you $10.00 to use it"

O.K....I'll take my lashing for being greedy, and ungrateful
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:36 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Another way to cut the $10 * 3 service fee in half is by doing a Ticket By Mail. Ask the rep. for the address to mail your FriendsPlus and make sure you send it Registered with Return Receipt and make sure your envelope is postmarked within 24 hours of your reservation call. It took me about 3-4 business days after I mail the coupon for the itinerary to be ticketed. You will be protected against fare increase if your envelope is postmarked within 24 hours of the reservation day/time.

Hope this helps (for next time!)
Jamester
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Does seem to be the opposite to what they want to acheive with these.

I can certainly use a couple for upcoming trips, just in case the fee is a nuisance.

These are the ONLY thing that will allow me to book United metal to Europe or Sth America and get a discount, as all others coupons out there are restricted to USA.

ozstamps at ozemail.com
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:31 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Re:fee to ticket

Aren't 1K's supposed to be exempted from that fee??

I'm just jealous that you found a fistful of the new Friends' certs. There aren't as many circulating as usual, it seems.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:55 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by willie--wonka
I'm just jealous that you found a fistful of the new Friends' certs. There aren't as many circulating as usual, it seems.

100,000 plus active employees * (number of certs to each employee) > 50,000 active employees * (number of certs given to each employee)

So I would say that there are deffinitly less in circulation this year, than in years past.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA-1P
Originally Posted by INDPremExec
This is the 'Don't laugh at a gift Horse in the Mouth" story...

I got a hand full of the new FriendsPlus certs yesterday, just in time to book my Amsterdam flight within the seven day window, today. One Cert, for three people saved us almost $300.00.

This is when you're saying, "What can be wrong with the story?"...

We'll, beside the fare in late October being $728.00, I was charged the ticketing fee to use the cert...$10.00 for each of the three.

I would understand this considering the new ticketing policy, if I had other ways to use this certificate. You can use this certificate at UAL.com for domestic flights only...not international.

So this was the story, "Here is a gift, but we are going to charge you $10.00 to use it"

O.K....I'll take my lashing for being greedy, and ungrateful

Mr. Greedy and Ungrateful,
LASH LASH!!!!
Those certs are friends plus. UA does not give them to you. You get those from a UA employee as their friend. Your friend did not charge you the 10.00. If I were to give you a gift, I best not hear you complaining about it.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I just got a set today ^ But what's with the $10 ticketing fee? Your profile says you're a 1K...you shouldn't have been charged the fee or is it buried in the T&C which I've not yet had a chance to read through?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cawhite60156
I just got a set today ^ But what's with the $10 ticketing fee? Your profile says you're a 1K...you shouldn't have been charged the fee or is it buried in the T&C which I've not yet had a chance to read through?
Sharp group(wouldn't expect anything less)....

I haven't paid attention to my profile, or Flyertalk for that matter, when I stopped traveling as much...job cuts Only a 1p now on my own dime. I'll update my profile tonight.

But, thanks for the promo announced today...that should changed
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:49 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
United Friends Plus Cert. how to use for >=2 people

Rather than create a new thread, I will just recycle this one.
How do I apply this one for 2 people that have different travel dates? (same departure date, same dep/arr airports - different return date) Is it possible?
Thanks

Last edited by vtqanh; Mar 3, 2005 at 6:18 am Reason: Another question
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it must be used online for domestic travel. Read the back of the certificate for details. I think you need to enter the certificate number when booking/searching for fares.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For Domestic you MUST use it one line

For It'l you CANNOT use it online.

Clearly says both on back of Certs.

Glen
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:14 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Thanks! need to learn to read better
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These new ones do not say if they are Type B or Type A vouchers.

Anyone know?

Glen
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:18 am

Another question bump
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our UA profiles state to treat the Friends Plus certificate as a Type A OR Type B certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.