Reload this Page >

Locations in Helsinki for a stay

Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

Im going to a meeting in Helsinki. The meeting itself is going to be held at the Fair Centre which is near the Holiday Inn Helsinki. Some of the hotels that are hosting people at this meeting are nearer the city center. For instance the Scandic Simonkentta and the Scandic Marski. I was wondering which was a nicer area to stay in and how easy it was to get back and forth between the conference site and those other hotels. Thanks for any information.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Apr 25, 2006 at 8:07 pm
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I just returned from a trip to Helsinki, and stayed at the Scandic Grand Marina. I really liked this hotel. It is in an old warehouse, but inside is completely modern. The room I stayed in had a very comfortable bed and a good working bathroom. You get free use of the hotel sauna, and there are three computers with internet access free for use by the guests. In addition breakfast is free (and good). The hotel is right across from the cruise ship docks, but there was not really that much extra noise. An added bonus is watching the cruise ships bound for Stockholm pull into and out of the port.

The hotel is also within walking distance to downtown, many good restaurants, and the train station. In addition, you are about 400 meters from the ferry to Suominlinna, the Swedish built island fortress. Whatever you do, make time to get out there and explore that. The round trip ferry ride is a little over 2 euros, I think.

The hotel is about 20 minutes from the airport, but the drive is a little tricky if you are not familiar with Swedish / Finnish road signs and names. Getting back to the airport is simple (follow the airplane signs on the street signs.)

Have a good trip. Finland is fun. Be sure to try the Finnish beers and get to an authentic style Finnish restaurant at least once.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
As an expat now staying in hotels when in Helsinki, I would second the recommendation to not stay near the Messukeskus area.

Stay downtown. Scandic Simonkentt is very central, new and nice; Marski can be OK but maybe more hit-n-miss and not as central. In the Scandic chain I can also second the Grand Marina, it's interesting and pretty well located; if taking the train to the meeting it's a bit more of a walk.

If cost is not a major issue, then change gears and stay at Hotel Kmp. Best location you could have, and simply the best hotel in Scandinavia. Nuff said.

If you're downtown, you can just take the train or 7A/7B tram to your meetings, see HKL for maps and Route Planner for exact directions and timetables.

Sami

P.S. If redeeming hotel points, Scandics are HHonors and Kmp is SPG, and are screaming good deals with 10000 points per night redemption.

Last edited by sam123; Apr 25, 2006 at 5:53 pm
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:52 pm

I would also recommend staying in downtown Helsinki -- drive to the Messukeskus is very quick.

I think Palace Hotel is very nice, centrally located, and has the best views over the harbor.

Klaus K Hotel is a new boutique hotel in a central location. I haven't seen their rooms, but supposedly they are nice.

Also Scandic Simonkentta and Radisson SAS Plaza are recommendable and centrally located. Radisson SAS Royal is ok too. Hilton Strand is nice (and has nice views) but it is about 10-15 min walk from the most central area.

Kamp is a fine hotel, but doesn't have much style in my opinion (it is a nice building outside, but I find the interior a bit fake for some reason... supposedly grand old style, but built with cheap materials). Hopefully their restaurant, which is now under new management, is better now. I had too many bad (business) lunches at the old one...
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Thanks for the suggestions thusfar. I booked at the Hilton Simonkentta. I forgot to mention in my original post that while I am a member of the IC, Hyatt and Marriot programs, I need 6 stays between now and the end of July to qualify for Hilton Diamond. So I was leaning towards a Scandic. I will probably have a reasonable amount of free time during the meeting so I would love any suggestions for restaurants and things to see. They are taking us on a cruise/dinner thing Saturday night and they have a couple tour type things available for us as well.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:18 pm

Some of my favorite restaurants in Helsinki include:

Demo
tel. (09) 2289 0840
Uudenmaankatu 9-11
[email protected]
Reserve a table ahead! This is a small and popular place run by ambitious, but very nice young chefs. Cuisine is Scandinavian-French style. Service is great.

George
Kalevankatu 17
tel. (09) 647 662
The chef is very good and has one Michelin star.

Nokka
Kanavaranta 7
Tel. +358-9-687 7330
This place is in a nice old red-brick warehouse. Good food made mostly from local "Finnish" ingredients.

Havis
Etelranta 16
Tel: +358-9-6869 5660
The best upscale seafood restaurant in town.

All the restaurants mentioned above are quite upscale and pricey. For a 'rougher' experience (with great food!) try
Sea Horse
Kapteeninkatu 11
(09) 628 169

If you want to try reindeer stew, I'd forget those touristy Lapland theme restaurants and go to
Manala
Dagmarinkatu 2
(09) 580 77 707
Well, maybe I would not go there for a business dinner (or wearing a business suit)... but you won't leave feeling hungry

If the weather is nice you should enjoy some fish at the market by the harbor.

For sightseeing, Suomenlinna is very nice (depending on weather, of course). Also a walk or jog around Kaivopuisto should be enjoyable. Japanese tourists seem to love the Temppeliaukio Church, the 'rock church'. Several museums are close by your hotel, e.g. the modern art museum Kiasma. The National Opera House is of very high quality if you like that kind of music. Lots of shops, bars, clubs etc. are around your hotel. Do you have any specific interests?

For sauna and swimming go to Yrjnkadun uimahalli, which is a really beautiful art deco building from 1920s. Observe different entrance hours for men and women. For more info: http://www.hel2.fi/liv/eng/yrjonkatu.html

Tourist information office
Helsinki map

I hope you have a great stay in Helsinki!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:32 am

One note: there are two Holiday Inns in Helsinki now. The poster references the Holiday Inn Helsinki, which is in Pasila near the Fair Centre, but has little else to recommend it. The newer, better option is the Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, which is as central as possible and has excellent access to the Fair Centre, just take any suburban train one stop north to Pasila. ^
Old May 2, 2006, 7:32 am
WIZ

Programs: LH SEN, AY, AA, FB, HHONORS, PC
Originally Posted by jpatokal
One note: there are two Holiday Inns in Helsinki now. The poster references the Holiday Inn Helsinki, which is in Pasila near the Fair Centre, but has little else to recommend it. The newer, better option is the Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, which is as central as possible and has excellent access to the Fair Centre, just take any suburban train one stop north to Pasila. ^
Actually there are three Holiday Inns in Helsinki. The third one is called Holiday Inn City West and is in the Ruoholahti area relatively close to Nokia etc. corporate headquarters. Its brand new so it is nice to stay at if you have business in the area.
Old May 2, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by WIZ
Actually there are three Holiday Inns in Helsinki. The third one is called Holiday Inn City West and is in the Ruoholahti area relatively close to Nokia etc. corporate headquarters. Its brand new so it is nice to stay at if you have business in the area.
I'll make it even better. There are four if you count the Holiday Inn Garden Court near Helsinki Airport. It has a shuttle bus from the airport, btw.
Old May 2, 2006, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by WIZ
This Holiday Inn was opened in August 2005 and it is indeed convenient to many corporate offices in Ruoholahti and Espoo (Nokia's HQ is about 5 min drive away). It is not, however, in the best location if you want to stroll around the dowtown or if you are going to the fair center (Messukeskus). There is really nothing much in Ruoholahti except for offices.

The Holiday Inn by the main railway station is one of the newest hotels in town too.
Old May 4, 2006, 8:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton Strand treats gold and diamond members very nicely, if that is the same as the one you booked in. It's currently my Helsinki favorite, although I admit I have never stayed at the Kamp.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.