Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bora Bora and Moorea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:59 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM
Arrow Bora Bora and Moorea [Master Thread]

Yeah, long time, no posts for me, quick update, I'm getting married, and planning the honeymoon....

Just wanted to see if anyone had experiences obtaining SPG50 availability at either of these properties? Agent is saying check back in around Oct, as neither of the two hotels have the "program set up" for a Feb 06 stay...

Thanks....
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:52 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Good to see you still kicking around, burkey!

Sorry my first reply to you in so long has to have a negative connotation to it, but these hotels fall within the Hawaii divisional office and pretty much what goes for the Hawaiian hotels also goes for these three. SPG50 is not valid in this area, so the SPG35 discount would be the best program-related discount, subject to availability.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, UAL Premier, AA Gold, Continental Plat

Thought I would throw the oxymoron out there again. I'm a long time spectator/recent member working on a honeymoon. First off, wanted to thank all of you for the wealth of information on this board. I've learned a ton and continue to learn daily.

Bit on me. I'm Platinum with: SPG, Hilton, and Continental. My plan for the honeymoon is to make it out to the SPG properties in Moorea/Bora Bora, the Hilton Maldives, or a combination of the Fiji SPG property and the new Hilton Fiji.

So far, I'm a little concerned with the wet monsoon season at the Maldives so that is sliding down the list. I've seen a little push back on the beach in Fiji, as well as the relative proximity to the main island.

Moorea/Bora Bora looks pretty ideal. I'm not sure what route/partner is going to get me there on CO yet, but I'm working on that. (I've yet to call them) I'm thinking 7-10 days in Moorea and 5-7 days in Bora Bora. I'll be using points for these 2 properties.

My main question (sorry for the mega-prologue!) relates to the food/entertainment budget. I know food is expensive. I've seen the references to the $12 burger, etc. Could someone enlighten me on more specifics relating to costs for typical breakfast/lunch/dinner? I've e-mailed the properties and asked for menus via fax but there's been no response, which really wasn't much of a surprise.

I'm also interested in sample prices relating to excursions if anyone can remember those details.

Thanks!!

John
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
I am sure there are people that can provide valuable information on here. I am going in May to Bora Bora and Moorea as well! This website is strictly on the French Polynesian Islands!

It provides a ton of info!

http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi
Old Feb 1, 2006, 1:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
That web site is the best. Will answer all your $$$ questions. Or rather $$$$$$$ questions.

With the time you mentioned, a third island would fit in well. I loved Moorea, but if I had 10 days there, I'd rather see another island. I'm a diver, and loved Rangiroa (not as great for non-divers), but there are other lovely ones, all discussed in that site.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by dsmntlr
So far, I'm a little concerned with the wet monsoon season at the Maldives so that is sliding down the list.
Bear in mind that you won't be able to reserve an OWB at the Hilton Maldives property. You might get upgraded, perhaps just for part of your stay. But you can reserve an OWB at the Bora Bora Nui (is that where you're looking, as opposed to the new and even more expensive St Regis that opens in April?).

The Moorea property allows you to book a beachfront bungalow, but no guaranteed OWB there. TK-421 got upgraded to an OWB there based on his SPG Plat status but noted that he ran into another Plat member on property who was not upgraded.

Moorea/Bora Bora looks pretty ideal. I'm not sure what route/partner is going to get me there on CO yet, but I'm working on that. (I've yet to call them)
With CO your only option to use miles is Air France, which flies LAX-PPT. (And you're still going to have to buy your intra-island flights... you can take the ferry or fly between PPT and MOZ, and your flights to BOB will be on Air Tahiti -- VT, the local carrier as opposed to Air Tahiti Nui or TN the international carrer.)

My main question (sorry for the mega-prologue!) relates to the food/entertainment budget. I know food is expensive. I've seen the references to the $12 burger, etc. Could someone enlighten me on more specifics relating to costs for typical breakfast/lunch/dinner? I've e-mailed the properties and asked for menus via fax but there's been no response, which really wasn't much of a surprise.
Roughly speaking on Bora Bora you can assume $20 appetizers and $30 entrees for dinner.

When I was at Bora Bora Nui the breakfast buffet was complimentary for all guests. I'm not sure if it still is. I imagine it would be ~ $30pp.

Room service burgers were ~ $20 IIRC, so $12 would be a value.

mrs. gleff and I went for hot stones massages, 50 minutes for the 2 of us cost 19000CFP apiece, 38000 total which when we were there meant ~ US$415.

But truth is that (1) while expensive it's not that much more than top resorts elsewhere in the world e.g. a Ritz-Carlton in the Carribean (2) Bora Bora is more expensive than other islands (3) you can watch your $$ there if need be, eating at BBN's Tamure Grille for a light lunch is less pricey than room service and less pricey than dinner at Iritai at the Bora Bora Nui.

But I echo checking out the Tahiti-Explorer.com forums.

FWIW here's my honeymoon trip report which included a stay and pictures of Bora Bora Nui.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
We're going for our honeymoon in August... Hitting Fiji, Moorea, Bora Bora, then rounding out our trip with Oahu, Maui and Lanai. (All on points, of course! ).

As for spending budget, etc. in FP, I did have a friend tell me that his first meal in Tahiti was $80 US for cold lasagna and a coke (at a buffet on Tahiti)... so I have no illusions that the trip will be cheap.

For our part, we're planning on three meals a day, cocktails, and one major activity for two (e.g. scuba diving, massages, etc.), and assuming there will be days we skip meals and activities.

Other than that, a few ideas on the cost saving side:
- I believe the BBN and Sheraton Moorea have many activities already included (e.g. kayak rentals, catamaran rentals, snorkel gear, etc.), so that should help.
- We're also planning to mail ourselves care packages--e.g. a bottle of wine per day, small snacks, etc. at each location. Figure that will save us a few bucks too.

Feel free to PM me to discuss more, if you decide to go to FP, etc.... more than happy to share ideas on the subject.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:32 pm

Smile Thanks!

Alrighty, she's booked, and now I'm dizzy and need to sleep!

Thanks a lot of the advice and information. I ended up having to push back the flight from Monday to Thursday so I am going to fly from EWR to LAX, spend 2 days at the St. Regis, Monarch Beach, then Air France to PPT, 10 days in Moorea at the Sheraton, 5 days in Bora Bora at the St. Regis, then back to LAX.

Almost pulled the trigger on BBN but 2000+ square feet at the St. Regis needs to be checked out. Confirmation says outdoor shower, plunge pool on deck, 2 42" plasma tvs, Bose DVD/CD surround sound, 24 hour butler service, crazy!

Thanks again for all the help!! I'll post pics when I finally get out there.

John
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:37 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat.
As far as the upgrades at Moorea, I stayed there last May/June for 5 nights and was lucky enough to get the upgrade to the OTW bungalow but when I was there I also talked to someone who was there for a longer period of time and was able to switch for some of the nights. so if you arrive and don't get upgraded I would check and see if you can switch for some nights.. also others were able to pay for the upgrade..

oh and far as the food and drinks, I would highly recommend bringing your favorite alcohol and snacks with you.. We loved just hanging out on our dock and making drinks while we had some snacks..

the food at the hotel was expensive (15-18 for sandwiches) and around $13 for a mixed drink.. but at happy hour drinks are 2 for 1.. if you have any questions about the island and places to go.. let me know.. WE LOVED IT THERE!!!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
Almost pulled the trigger on BBN but 2000+ square feet at the St. Regis needs to be checked out. Confirmation says outdoor shower, plunge pool on deck, 2 42" plasma tvs, Bose DVD/CD surround sound, 24 hour butler service, crazy!
Were you able to get the 1900 sq. ft. room at the SR on points? When I called, the room they quoted on points (70k peak) was the 1550 sq. ft. room...
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by wildblueyonder
Were you able to get the 1900 sq. ft. room at the SR on points? When I called, the room they quoted on points (70k peak) was the 1550 sq. ft. room...

I used points to get the Oceanfront Villa. Those rooms apparently are of various sizes. The one they quoted me was 70k points 1636sq. ft. I booked that and asked for a cash upgrade to an overwater. They are faxing me a form with costing and I'll let you know when I get the specific rate.

John
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:36 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat.
Thanks a ton! My plan is to pay for an upgrade in Moorea to make sure. I guess depending on capacity it's a decent bet, but I'm not that sure about August. I'm planning to do the same in Bora Bora.

I'd love to hear your favorite excursions/secret spots or any favorite food spots. Thanks!

John

oh the fun of Moorea.. let's see where to even start.. Scuba diving is a must.. the number of sharks I saw was unbelievable.. my husband does not dive and was not planning on going but met a couple who convinced us to go my husband stayed in the boat (but he saw sharks too) and enjoyed the boat ride...

We also did the dolphin excursion at the Intercontinental.. If you have never done something like that before I recommend it. I loved just being in the water with the dolphins. If you do that try and go during the couple session. Less people in the water and worth the slightly extra cost. If you want to do this make sure to make reservations when you arrive.

We also rented a car from Alberts (kind of a sketchy place but well worth it) just to drive around the island and to drive up the mountain.. the views were great.

We also did the polynesian fire show at tiki village.. although i think there is one at the sheraton.. but we had fun there but not sure how highly I would recommend it..

Te honu itu was great food and the stingrays are very cool but really expensive place..
we really enjoyed alfredos.. they have kareoke a few nights which was fun.. we ordered pizza to happy hour at the sheratin one night as we met another couple..

anyways.. let me know if you have any additional questions. I think I am getting jealous just thinking about it.. the best part is truly the water is so clear you can just sit on your deck all day...

No matter what I can tell you the OTW bungalow is worth every penny (even if i did not end up paying for it) after being there I would have definitely paid for any upgrade.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
For Bora Bora you *must* eat at Villa Mahana, the best meal in French Polynesia by far. Only half a dozen tables so make your reservations early (eg first night on the island have the hotel ring up for you, or even email the chef in advance -- pm me for his email).
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
FYI, Air Tahiti Nui requires less miles when trf from American 75,000 vs 100,000 on MWA.

I am going on honeymoon end of May. Moorea and Bora Bora. Got SPG pts for Beach Bungalow on Moorea and Overwater on Bora Bora.

Please advise on interisland transportation?? Arriving at PPT and spend overnight at Sheriton. Then to Moorea then Bora Bora.

What is advise on interisland Transport?
Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Duke5150
FYI, Air Tahiti Nui requires less miles when trf from American 75,000 vs 100,000 on MWA.

I am going on honeymoon end of May. Moorea and Bora Bora. Got SPG pts for Beach Bungalow on Moorea and Overwater on Bora Bora.

Please advise on interisland transportation?? Arriving at PPT and spend overnight at Sheriton. Then to Moorea then Bora Bora.

What is advise on interisland Transport?
Thanks.
Air Tahiti sells an interisland pass for about $360 per person. Contact Travel Portfolio to buy yours: http://www.travel-portfolio.net/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.