Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - 2006 Mercury Montego Premier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Ride Report - 2006 Mercury Montego Premier

I rented a 2006 Mercury Montego ( Premier ) in CMH. It was coded as YF. This car is a kissing cousin to the Ford Five Hundred.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/montego/

Performance:

The Montego comes with a 3.0L Duratec DOHC V6 with a six-speed automatic transmission - no change from last year. This engine makes 203hp @ 5750rpm and 207ft-lbs @ 4500rpm. Shifting was quite smooth, acceleration was good and the car revved quite high when needed. I got about 20 mpg in mostly city driving. The handling was acceptable for a car of its size, but certainly this is a large car.

Appearance:

The car was a gray color with black interior (leather), and had around 5500 miles on it when I rented it. Legroom was great in the rear, decent in the front. I'm quite tall (6'5") and wish there were a bit more space between me and the pedals.

Seats were comfortable, with leather surfaces. Front-seats were a bit longer than ones in the rear, which suited me fine. Seating was a bit more couchy than sporty, but certainly not bad for a mid-sized trip.

Controls were reasonably good. The leather-wrapped steering wheel had controls for the radio and cruise control, but I found them a bit too small to manipulate easily. On-dash controls were easy to use and identical to pretty much every Ford/Merc I've ever driven. The dash itself had a higher build quality than the usual Taurus, but not really up to the standards of the Camry. Turn signal had a goofy, non-mechanical sound.

Summary:

When I need a car that can haul 4 tall people, I'd pick this one over a Taurus or Crown Vic. Still, it's a toss-up between this and an Impala.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.