Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '06 Hummer H3

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2006, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '06 Hummer H3

Somebody must have been in a good mood when assigning cars at SFO this week, because this was in my stall on a C reservation...

http://www.hummer.com

From the HUMMER website, the H3 I got was equipped with the Luxury Package, a power sunroof and XM radio, and had an MSRP of $35,700.

Power: Since the H3 shares its architecture with the Chevrolet Colorado pickup, the only powertrain choice is the 3.5L Vortec five-cylinder producing 220 hp and 225 lb-ft of torque. While the motor itself is generally refined, the H3 is noticeably heavy for its size, so acceleration is below average, even for an SUV. The four-speed automatic does mate well with the engine though, providing smooth upshifts and responsive downshifts. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 16/19 mpg city/highway -- since the H3 doesn't seem to have a trip computer, I'm unable to measure my observed economy.

Ride/Handling: On the road, the H3 performs as expected on the road for a heavy SUV, exhibiting trucklike dynamics. Steering is a bit imprecise and requires constant correction, but handling and body roll are generally well-controlled. The massive 33" off-road tires and short(er) wheelbase also provided a harsher ride than the H2, but it's not excessive. Brake feel is generally firm and easy to modulate, though stopping distances did seem a bit long. The standard Stabilitrak and on-demand 4WD system do an excellent job of maintaining traction.

Interior: Even though the H3 is the "cheapest" of the HUMMERs, the interior is significantly nicer than the H2 (and obviously the H1) IMO. The plastics aren't exactly soft-touch, but they are of higher materials and build quality than the H2, and fairly competitive. Tactile quality of controls is also quite good, except for a few GM-grade switches (including the multifunction stalk ). In addition, ergonomics are well-designed, and the seats are comfortable and stitched in a high-quality leather. The driving position is a bit upright and awkward though, and the small slit-like windows and rear spare tire hamper visibility. But overall, the cabin is reasonably spacious, and cargo space is adequate.

Design: As with other HUMMERs, the H3's exterior design is in-your-face and aggressive. Even in the "appliance" white of my rental example, the various details and cues from the H1 and H2 translate well to the littlest HUMMER. The interior unfortunately doesn't have the cool "industrial" look of the H2, but it makes up for it with higher-quality materials and excellent use of brushed metallic trim.

Features: Other than the typical array of features, the H3 also had XM radio and heated seats. However, for a $35k vehicle, there are some glaring exceptions, such as automatic climate control, a trip computer, lighted vanity mirrors and other features that one would expect at this price level.

Value: The keytag for my rental shows it classed as a YQ, but my contract says W6, so I'm not exactly sure which rate class it is under at Hertz. But overall, as with the H2, the H3 strikes me as more of a weekend rental toy than a practical business rental. In that light, it's an alright choice if one is looking for a fun and capable SUV.

To sum it up:

The Good
Tough design
A HUMMER that actually fits in my San Francisco garage
Comfortable and well-designed interior

The Bad
Down on power
May be too "trucklike" for some
Awkward seating position and visibility

Last edited by SpeedRicer; May 8, 2006 at 10:37 am Reason: Added more impressions...
Old May 7, 2006, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have a general question about these high end cars. Do you take the insurance option? When renting on business, it's not a big deal; however, I don't know if personal insurance covers such a car--I know that credit cards, he high end cards, don't seem to extend coverage to luxury vehicles.
Old May 8, 2006, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I have a general question about these high end cars. Do you take the insurance option? When renting on business, it's not a big deal; however, I don't know if personal insurance covers such a car--I know that credit cards, he high end cards, don't seem to extend coverage to luxury vehicles.
I don't think the H3 would be a "high end" car. In reading some of the credit card insurance coverage terms, I found cars such as rare collectibles, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls Royce, to be listed. I don't think they would have a problem with something that's $35k.

I don't usually take out the insurance coverage on personal rentals and I'm sure I would be covered by my own car insurance if anything were to happen.
Old May 8, 2006, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I would imagine that personal insurance would be alright as long as you have full coverage. I get LDW on all rentals from Hertz, but at Enterprise, they allow me to take premium cars without LDW as long as I have full insurance.

I do wonder though -- even if you have full insurance, wouldn't the maximum comprehensive amount covered only be limited to the value of the car under your policy? In other words, if I have full coverage for a $6k Civic, would they really cover an X-Type up to $35k, or only that $6k?
Old May 8, 2006, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prashok
I do wonder though -- even if you have full insurance, wouldn't the maximum comprehensive amount covered only be limited to the value of the car under your policy? In other words, if I have full coverage for a $6k Civic, would they really cover an X-Type up to $35k, or only that $6k?
You've hit on the issue that I have with using personal insurance. It's calculated for your personal vehicle. I haven't read the myriad details in the contract I have, but knowing insurance companies, they do give themselves lots of wiggle room. Credit card coverage, while secondary, doesn't cover much beyond a fullsize car. I don't think it would cover anything in the Hummer line.
Old May 8, 2006, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Well, check your own fine print to be certain, but this is a very middle-of-the-road SUV. 220 horses, rides on a typical midsized SUV chassis - I don't think it even pushes the envelope.

I've wondered about the Excursion. I've considered renting one of those bad boys for a roadtrip of 7-8 guys, and wondered if it was outside the scope of either my own insurance or credit card insurance. But I think even that is OK...

It's when you get into moving trucks, extended vans, serious high performance stuff (Ferrarri, etc.) or ulta-luxe cars (Rolls, etc.) that you probably will have a problem.
Old May 8, 2006, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
On a related note, if you depend on your credit card for coverage, note that some don't even cover regular SUVs (let alone a H3). This is partially why I use my Mastercard rather than Amex when I rent cars...
Old May 8, 2006, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noah
On a related note, if you depend on your credit card for coverage, note that some don't even cover regular SUVs (let alone a H3). This is partially why I use my Mastercard rather than Amex when I rent cars...

My point exactly. I don't believe that credit card insurance covers and H3. I investigated this issue a number of years ago when the credit card insurance started to gain prominence. The insurance on offer is quite limited.
Old May 9, 2006, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I have a rider on my personal car insurance. Covers rental cars up to the value of the rental car, not my personal car. Cost something like 15 dollars year.... you might look into it.

For my business rentals the Hertz contract makes them liable....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.