Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - 2006 Shelby GT-H

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2006, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, UA MM, MB Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat (ha ha), Hertz Pres, etc.
Talking Ride Report - 2006 Shelby GT-H

We walked into the parking garage at SFO this evening and there was a GT-H sitting on display behind some planters in front of the Gold Office. My boss is a fan, so he said we needed to get one. I thought he was kidding, but (fortunately) he was not...So, I went in, happily switched out of a Grand Marquis into this baby and we were on our way. Well, not exactly, we had to go through a bit of a process.

The rental agent had to get a special sheet and make sure we would agree to all the terms were qualified to rent the car . It was $150/day (less 20% with my CO CDP). I declined the $34.95 LDW. They require you show a roundtrip airline ticket and it's $.39 a mile over 75 miles per day. I think you must be over 25 years of age (not certain). A manager has to approve the rental and then does the check-out. They check that the emblems, hood scoop, scuff plates and other parts are on the car. I'll need to have them re-check it on the way back in. In the 60's people not only took minor parts on the Shelbys, a few people swapped engines (not to mentioned raced, etc). Oh, they also confirm the traction control (TSR) defeat switch is disabled...

The car we got is number 39 (of 500) and had 8.4 miles on it. I must have been the first renter. The exterior of the car is black with gold racing stripes. The interior is black leather - basically stock other than the Sirrus and a plate with the serial number, Carroll Shelby signature, etc.

The car ran well. The engine still is a bit tight. It's fast, but not super fast. My old (94) MB has 275hp, so the bump to 325hp was not a huge jump. However, they put a 'cat-back' performance exhaust on these so it sounds really cool (my favorite part). And, despite the fact the the TSR cannot be disabled, I was able to do a brake stand in the hotel parking lot and get some good wheel spin (don't tell!).

The ride is firm, the car handles well but would suck as a daily driver if you care at all about a good ride. Also, I think I could see the fuel guage needle descend if I watched closely. But, ride and mileage are not the point here, now are they? It's a "fun" rental, isn't it!?!

Anyway, that's the story. We just drove it from the airport to the hotel so I may add more after the rental experience is over.

Thanks,

ab

Last edited by AustinBear; May 10, 2006 at 1:32 am
Old May 10, 2006, 4:15 am

What was that line from Hill Street Blues? Oh yeah....

"Hey, hey, hey....let's be careful out there."

Does the Operator's Manual say that there's a break-in period for the engine?

Great report, AustinBear.
Old May 10, 2006, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
A Mustang in SF? I smell a little movie scene reenactment...

Nice review. ^ Interesting that there may be a minimum age requirement -- I'm under-25, and was interested in renting one of these at some point. I do know a few of the managers at SFO though, so maybe I can swing something....
Old May 10, 2006, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, UA MM, MB Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat (ha ha), Hertz Pres, etc.
Originally Posted by studley
Does the Operator's Manual say that there's a break-in period for the engine?
I'll check. Wondered about the same thing. We both had wondered aloud, " In what condition will these cars get to the dealers when they are to be sold (at about 18K miles)?"
Old May 10, 2006, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prashok

Nice review. ^ Interesting that there may be a minimum age requirement -- I'm under-25, and was interested in renting one of these at some point. I do know a few of the managers at SFO though, so maybe I can swing something....
As I said, I not certain about that. What I am certain of is that they will check (unless you have some pull) for a roundtrip plane ticket and that you're not a local renter just out to have some fun (Wait, isn't it part of the "Fun Collection"?).
Old May 10, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by prashok
Holy Steve McQueen, Hertz had a bad idea sending a Shelby to SFO.
Old May 10, 2006, 10:37 am
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by AustinBear
As I said, I not certain about that. What I am certain of is that they will check (unless you have some pull) for a roundtrip plane ticket and that you're not a local renter just out to have some fun (Wait, isn't it part of the "Fun Collection"?).

I feel a refundable Y coming on...
Old May 21, 2006, 1:05 pm

250 miles in Hertz GT-H

We just drove it from the airport to the hotel so I may add more after the rental experience is over.
Thanks Austin, I rented one from SFO this week. It had 20 miles when I started and 270 when I turned it in.

Drove to San Jose twice, I agree that the ride sucks for a daily driver. Car is far from subtle. The Siruis radio was reception was erratic, but who listens to the radio when you can hear that exhaust. The valet parkers loved it.

13.6 miles per gallon.

Worth it at least once!

Plan for a 20 minute return proceedure with the Hertz manager.

Mike
Old May 21, 2006, 9:11 pm

The car we got is number 39 (of 500) and had 8.4 miles on it.

Originally Posted by MikeWard
Thanks Austin, I rented one from SFO this week. It had 20 miles when I started and 270 when I turned it in.

Mike, what number was your car? I think it would be interesting to keep track of what cities have what numbers and how many different ones FTers get as rentals. So far SFO has #39 and #??.
Old May 22, 2006, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by yashan
Mike, what number was your car?
045. According to the manager that issued the vehicle, one of the SFO Shelby's already has been wrecked.

Including the one on display, I saw five Shelbys in the SFO garage when I got mine.

Mike

Using my personal GPS, recorded a top speed of 78.9 but an average speed of 27.5 miles per hour for my trip.

You should plan to back into most parking spaces, the car sits low and the front spoiler is vunerable.

Driving down 101 the vehicle demonstrated a harmonic at 60 - 70 mph that made me queasy.

Trying to get to SFO yesterday during the Bay to Breakers event required me to drive through a lot of neighborhoods, ala Steve McQueen, to get south of the event.

Last edited by MikeWard; May 22, 2006 at 10:04 am
Old May 22, 2006, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

#39 Full Ride Report

If my first post could be labeled "initial impressions". Below are some "lingering impressions"...

After dropping off our CEO at OAK, I headed back to the Berkeley area. First, over to Orinda to show the car to a friend. We got our meeting spots crossed and I called him to tell him I'd be a few minutes late. No need...he could hear me from about a mile away. After that I headed into the Berkeley Hills so I could really find out what this thing could do. It can do a lot.

I drove about 10 miles in the twisties and used about 3 gallons of gas (I used-up the first tank in about 110 miles...). The car handles. And, with more than sufficient power in range - you can have some fun. At one point I rounded a corner, going about 70mph and there was a turn out filled with beer drinking, sunset watching 20-something males. They had heard me coming down the hill and and had turned their backs to the city and watched the road in expectation. As I rounded the corner, the cheered and held-up their beer free hands in fists of support. I laughed hard and headed for the city. I never got a Taurus or Camry to get that response...

As I exited the (Bay Bridge) toll plaza onto the incline , I let the thing rip. I hit about 120 mph and was soon weaving through traffic. It was a bit like a video game...I quickly brought it down a bit to a safer speed, but still hit the interchanges on the SF side at a good clip. By now I was hooked. The ride seemed a bit more reasonable and I had a big grin frozen on my face. I decided then and there the car was pretty fast after all. When you let the tranny do it's thing, it's not that fast. However, work the gears a bit, stay in the power band, and you'll have some fun.

I hit the city street a'la Bullet and had some fun roaring around. Scared my friend Kristi a few times too, just for laughs. By now, I was hooked. I decided then and there I need to sell one of our Benzes and get something a bit rougher edged (okay, so maybe a Porsche, not a Mustang...).

Anyway, the car is a blast to drive. It roars! You'll get lots of stares, lots of cars pulling-up on the side and lots of waving.

When I got back to SFO the next am, the manager was slow to check me out so they drove me back to the terminal in a town car with a "Hertz" taxi bubble on top. Nice touch....

One more thing, as Mike Ward said, watch the front spoiler. I scraped it a few times going into gas stations (you'll need to visit them often if you drive like I did). They do check them when you return.

Go get one and have fun. It's something you can't do often. Some of their cars (XLR) may be just as fast, but none will feel quite like a good old fashioned American muscle car!

Here's to feeling like a teenager again!
Old May 29, 2006, 11:09 am

As I exited the (Bay Bridge) toll plaza onto the incline , I let the thing rip. I hit about 120 mph and was soon weaving through traffic. It was a bit like a video game...I quickly brought it down a bit to a safer speed, but still hit the interchanges on the SF side at a good clip.

Good thing you didn't rent from Acme Auto back in 2000. They would have charged you $150 for exceeding 79 MPH for more than 2 minutes.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/pt...riq/index.html
Old May 31, 2006, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yashan
Good thing you didn't rent from Acme Auto back in 2000. They would have charged you $150 for exceeding 79 MPH for more than 2 minutes.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/pt...riq/index.html
I don't know who AustinBear is and have never heard of him in my life...
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Smile Car #253

I just rented GT-H #253 from FLL. It has done 100 miles.

I agree with what was said in the previous posts, it attracts attention, street-racers pull alongside and rev their engines. More engine power would help for some real street credibility.

Actually my rental began at 4.30am, although I did not get to Hertz until 4.30pm. So my car was rented to someone else, and they had none available for me. Before I knew what was happening a Manager came and told me that a Hertz employee was driving "my Shelby from MIA to FLL and would arrive in an hour." I told them any car would do, but they insisted I get the Shelby. In the meantime they gave me a hummer H3 and told me to come back in 2 hours. So this was exceptional service. But I can see from my rental agreement it will cost me $500 for two days.

I couldn't believe the pre-rental checklist looking with mirrors at roll-bars, engine parts etc. I will stick to renting a XK8, XLR or 350Z because these are almost as much fun and attract less attention.

The elderly Hertz security lady at the exit told to go: "Zoom! Zooooooom!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.