Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Detroit Riverside lvs SPG Aug 7 2008 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Detroit Riverside lvs SPG Aug 7 2008 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Arrow Sheraton Detroit Riverside lvs SPG Aug 7 2008 [Master Thread]

Not sure if its been posted before, but downtown Detroit is to have its first Sheraton in years.

"The owners of the landmark Hotel Pontchartrain in Detroit have selected Denver-based Richfield Hospitality to operate the hotel. Richfield will help the owners, ShubhHotels Detroit LLC, which purchased the Pontchartrain in early 2005, to complete a $12-million renovation by October.

The hotel will then operate as a full-service Sheraton. A hotel spokesman said the renovation project is under way and will encompass upgrades to nearly every aspect of the hotel, from rooms and suites to the restaurant, lobby, meeting rooms and all hallways and public spaces. The project also includes the addition of a health and fitness center and an indoor pool. All mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems of the hotel will be modernized."
Old May 28, 2006, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Interesting, the closest hotel to Cobo Center offering points .

A few years ago, it operated under the Holiday Inn banner IIRC.
Old May 28, 2006, 5:16 am

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
Yes, you remember correctly. I stayed there last summer and saw a couple of Crowne Plaza markings.
Old May 28, 2006, 7:27 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
If they weren't going to renovate it, I'd say avoid at all costs.

However, if you want a Starwood, I think either Westin is the way to go (Southfield, Airport), and then the Marriott still takes the cake for the best downtown hotel...
Old May 28, 2006, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
How close to the people mover is the "Pontch"?
Old May 28, 2006, 1:08 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
5 minute walk, I think? (It's the closest hotel to Cobo, no?)
Old May 28, 2006, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Across the street, into Cobo, and upstairs to a People Mover station, or head out the other side of the hotel for the Financial District station. Shy of the Marriott Courtyard in Millender Center with a station it's about as close as you can get.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: DL (suckered me into) Diamond, ICH Plat RA, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
If they weren't going to renovate it, I'd say avoid at all costs.
I'm not sure a $12M renovation is enough to get me try that place again.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
In the coming months...years , there will be 2 new Starwood properties in downtown Detroit. It was announced last year that the Pontchartrain Hotel Detroit would become a Sheraton, where are they with this? There's also the Westin Book-Cadillac project, I hope things are moving with this project because it's been very VERY slow coming, delays, delays & more delays.
Anyone with some info from the Motor City?
Old May 1, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
The historic Hotel Pontchartrain is currently under going a multi million $$ renovation and will become a Sheraton this summer. The hotel is next to Cobo Hall and across the street from Hart Plaza.
Old May 1, 2007, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by drjazz
The historic Hotel Pontchartrain is currently under going a multi million $$ renovation and will become a Sheraton this summer. The hotel is next to Cobo Hall and across the street from Hart Plaza.
They were trying to get this ready for the Superbowl but missed by 2 or 3 years (we'll see).

The Book Cadillac was also supposed to become a Westin, but has been delayed and might not become Starwood. It was the tallest building in the world at one point, and is now in the midst of a very expensive renovation ($200 million). Hard to believe that a century ago Detroit rivaled Chicago and maybe even NY for prominence as a great city; the remnants have not aged well.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
The Ponchartrain on Jefferson across from the Hart Plaza is becoming the Sheraton Riverside on Aug. 30th
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drjazz
The Ponchartrain on Jefferson across from the Hart Plaza is becoming the Sheraton Riverside on Aug. 30th
The Sheraton opening has been pushed back to I think Oct 30 now, but it will probably go beyond that
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Formal opening of the Sheraton Detroit Riverside (ex-Pontchartrain) is 12-17-07.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../BIZ/712140329
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Had the misfortune of staying here for the day on Sunday, if they have spent any more than $1 on a renevation they have been robbed.

Booked a room for Saturday night as I was arriving on a red eye & wanted the room for the day from 7am on the Sunday morning.

Noted a 7am Sunday check in on the reservation & also called the hotel on Saturday evening to confirm & ask them to hold the room which they said had been sorted or I think it was more along the lines of "you are all set".

Of course on Sunday morning they had no room available as "I was too early & couldn't check in till after 12". Got fed up trying to explain things to the rather clueless lady at check in.

Got a "room" in the end.

Couldn't even get an invoice when I checked out a few hours later, in the end they printed a plain piece of paper with some restaurant (better avoided) charges on it as that was the best they could do.

Certainly wont be back at this place again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.