Search

Great bakeries worth going out of your way

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Great bakeries worth going out of your way

Whenever I am in SFO I try to make time for a bakery run to AA Bakery on Stockton St. in downtown San Francisco. It is that good (a chinese bakery that makes the best egg custard pies in the US). Also very cheap ($5 gets you more food than you can eat).

While there are lots of good and even great bakeries in other cities, such as Paris, somehow I don't feel compelled to go out of my way for them. What other bakeries are worth going out of the way for?
Old Jun 3, 2006, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Leon's Bakery in Brooklyn.

Ostrowizky Bakery in Brooklyn.

One of the above is a stop on the Brooklyn Reality Tour every spring.

Just goes to show you that you don't have to spend big bucks to enjoy quality goodies.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Sweet Lady Jane in West Hollywood is my favorite and they do amazing wedding cakes. They also serve good light lunches. Parking, however, is a nightmare
http://sweetladyjane.com/
Old Jun 3, 2006, 2:13 pm

Programs: skymiles,
Chatellier's in Millvale, PA (a suburb of Pittsburgh) Excellent croissants and pattiserie.

http://www.jeanmarcchatellier.com/pastries.html
Old Jun 3, 2006, 6:13 pm

Dudleys bakery in Santa Ysabel Ca,near Julian ,and there is a Mexican bakery in San Juan Bautista Ca thats great also if your in driving distance of either GO GO GO
Old Jun 3, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
There's a great bakery in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley, Heerikoff's. It's a Mongolian Bakery, and does the most devine pastries. I used to start each day with a chocolate eclair when I worked nearby. They open at 5am, and are still open at 10pm, which is fantastic for early starters and late workers like me.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Amazingly I've been to two of the nominees: Leon's and Dudley's! On the basis of one black and white, Leon rules.

Dudley's: Big on reputation, short on follow-through. I live in the area and have been there off and on for 30 years, and they sell their bread in many supermarkets in San Diego. It just isn't special, IMHO. In fact, it's usually doughy and undercooked, but the tour bus crowd loves it. I think it's rep was built when there was nothing to see, eat or do between San Diego and Julian and Sunday drivers needed a diversion, a goal, a bit of baked goods. You get so darn hungry even Mom's super-sweet apple pies taste fantastic. But I am in the minority, everybody seems to love both Dudley's and Mom's.

So I will nominate the West Gin bakery in San Marcos (CA) and raise you Bread et Cie in Hillcrest. West Gin (VietNamese) for French pastries, and Bread et Cie for, well, bread. Well I will nominate any VietNamese bakery, because there's another great one in Mission Viejo near the auto mall. And I will defintely check out AA Bakery on Stockton SF, thanks for the heads up, number_6
Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:08 pm

Virtually any patisserie in France. I like to try every one. Sometimes I'll go on a binge and try the same product in each bakery to compare. Other times I'll just try what looks good. Most other bakeries I pass bye.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
My New York City list is a little downtown-centric, but here goes:

Bouley Bakery on Duane St. for croissants (rather expensive)
Blaue Gans on Duane St. for cheese danish (on the light side)
Sullivan Street Bakery for bread and snail cookies
Sweet Melissa on Houston St. for macaroons (original branch is in Brooklyn, I think Court St.)
Falai Panetteria on Clinton St. for bread and pastries
Amy's Bread, various locations, for cinnamon challah twists and chocolate sourdough bread
Our Daily Bread at the Union Square Greenmarket on Weds. and Sat. for sourdough bread
Mei Lai Wah on Bayard St. for pork buns

swag can testify that when I met him at Jazz Fest, I was wearing a t-shirt that said "Choose Carbs".
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:35 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Con Pane Bakery in Point Loma (San Diego) The make incredible bread and great Scones.

sdcarver
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:14 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Liliha Bakery , Honolulu
Old Jun 4, 2006, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I agree that Sweet Lady Jane on Melrose in Los Angeles is the best. Euro Pane in Pasadena is a close second!
Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:16 am

Programs: Marriott
Thumbs up Danish Kringles

Nested between Milwaukee and Chicago, is the Belle City of Racine. Try a Danish Kringle and you will love them. Check them out at http://www.ohdanishbakery.com.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

mmm, tasty thread!

Swedish Bakery on Clark Street, Chicago
Everything is so yummy and prices haven't changed much over the years.
http://www.swedishbakery.com/

Lutz on Montrose Ave, Chicago
Very old-world European place that oozes elegance.
http://www.lutzcafe.com/index.html
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:21 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoMagic
Nested between Milwaukee and Chicago, is the Belle City of Racine. Try a Danish Kringle and you will love them. Check them out at http://www.ohdanishbakery.com.
Good suggestion, I know Racine all too well due to their delicious kringles. I like http://www.bendtsensbakery.com/index.php

--

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.