Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '07 Chevrolet Suburban

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '07 Chevrolet Suburban

Had a minivan booking at SFO, but alas, a high-mileage, last-generation Sedona was in my stall. With no good minivans to be found on the lot, I decided that if I'm going to pilot a heavy 13-mpg vehicle, it might as well be something new...

http://www.chevrolet.com/suburban/

Note that the Tahoe and Suburban were both redesigned for 2007, so my vehicle was fresh from the factory, with only 5 miles on it. From the Chevrolet website, this particular Suburban was in LT trim and had 4WD. With the 2LT package, the grand total is $42,615.

Powertrain: The Vortec 5300 V8 is the standard engine in the Suburban, and it produces 320 hp and 340 lb-ft of torque. Even though the motor sounds similar to the unit in the previous-generation Suburban, there are noticeable improvements in terms of refinement and power. Acceleration is brisk considering the size of the vehicle, and there is plenty of torque down low for city driving. Another new feature on the V8 is Active Fuel Management, which alternates the engine between a regular V8 under normal conditions and a "V4" mode during cruising that shuts down four of the cylinders. Overall, AFM is seamless and seems to provide tangible improvements in fuel economy. The engine is matched well to the four-speed automatic transmission, and shifts are prompt and smooth. Fuel economy is estimated at 15/20 mpg city/highway, but I've only been getting 12 mpg in mixed driving. However, highway-only driving has been yielding as much as 21 mpg on some trips.

Ride/Handling: As expected, the Suburban is no sports car, but handling is surprisingly good for such a large SUV. Steering is a bit dull, but is noticeably improved over the last-generation model. Ride and handling are generally composed as well, even with the solid axle in the rear. Brakes are firm and pedal feel is solid, with little mushiness. Standard Stabilitrak and the automatic 4WD system provide surefooted traction, and the turning radius is quite good for the Suburban's size. Executing U-turns on downtown San Francisco streets was not as difficult as I had imagined.

Interior: By far, the greatest improvement in the Suburban is the quality and design of the interior. Gone are the pickup-grade plastic and dash structure, and replacing them is a warmer, more car-like design. Build and tactile quality are very good, and materials quality is excellent as well. The only real complaint I had was that the top of the dash was trimmed in a hard plastic, rather than a softer material -- but the grain and quality gives it a much more expensive feel. Seats are also comfortable, but the lack of any lumbar adjustments was odd. Space in general is good given the size of the vehicle, but it didn't feel any roomier than a Sienna or Freestar. On the positive side, there is quite a bit of room for storage behind the third row of seats. One glaring omission is a "disappearing" third-row seat system though -- this is probably due to the lack of an independent rear suspension, but it would have been nicer to have fold-flat seats instead of the flip-and-tumble design of the Chevy.

Design: The general theme of the exterior design was evolutionary, and GM pulls it off well, as the shape is simple and pleasing. The interior is more dramatic however, combining a very luxurious color scheme with high-quality materials and an ergonomical design. The simulated wood trim in particular is one of the best I've ever seen for not being from real trees. General visibility is good, but the size of the Suburban is an obvious hazard itself. Fortunately, a rear parking assist system is included for those tight parking spaces.

Features: Besides the park assist system and other standard features, my particular Suburban also had rear climate/audio controls and a remote start system.

Value: The Suburban is classed as a T6, which puts it slightly above the Tahoe/Expedition, and a class or two above most minivans as well. As a people-carrier, the Suburban probably isn't as efficient or easy-to-drive as a minivan, but for those seeking something more heavy-duty, the Suburban is a great choice. In this class, GM continues to hold the edge over the Ford Excursion IMO, because their product is more comfortable and refined, without giving up utility, space and rugged capabilities.

To sum it up:

The Good
Great powertrain
Comfortable and high-quality interior
Suprisingly capable on-road

The Bad
Still bulkier and thirstier than a minivan
Could use a better third-row seat system

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Jun 8, 2006 at 12:52 pm
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:34 pm
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Hey prashok,

Have you seen any more of the 'Burbs at SFO? I'm thinking of renting one of the large SUVs, and want to make sure they have the new GM ones instead of the old ones.

Is "Premium, SUV, Automatic, Air -
GMC Yukon XL 4WD or Similar " T6 class?

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I see them all the time at SFO now -- both in Tahoe/Yukon and Suburban/Yukon XL form. Probably still a chance you may get an old model, so I'd try and give the Gold desk a call to see if they can hold you one, just in case. ^

EDIT: Yes, the class was still T6 for the Suburban/Yukon XL.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The Excursion has been gone since 2005. The Expedition EL has just come out for 2007. I am sure Hertz will have some of those soon if they dont already.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
IME, both SFO and SJC typically have Yukon XLs in T6. But, i've often been given the Tahoe or an Expedition (20cu ft cargo behind third row, don't remember trim level) as a T size booking. On occasion, they've tried to put me in a Tahoe or the Expedition for a T6 booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.