Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Old May 26, 2006, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Arrow LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Anyone stayed here (especially as a SPG)? Although I don't normally pay attention to TripAdvisor, some of the photos posted there make the Palace look like a real dump.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Le Meridien Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Anyone have an recent experiences?

I travel to Copenhagen 4 or 5 times a year for business as my company is based in a little town about 90 minutes away. In July, however, I'll be taking my wife (to meet my boss and co-workers and so she can see the country) and my parents (40th wedding aniversary) with me. I ussually spend one night in coming and going in a little local hotel but would prefer something nicer for my family. Also, being as *wood just got this property as part of the Le Meridien deal, I don't know much about it other than it's undergoing renovations for the next 2 years.

Does anyone have any recent experiences here? Should I suck it up and pay for something nicer? The location is ok being near Tivoli Gardens but proximity to Nyhaven would also be a plus during the summer.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Anyone have an recent experiences?

I travel to Copenhagen 4 or 5 times a year for business as my company is based in a little town about 90 minutes away. In July, however, I'll be taking my wife (to meet my boss and co-workers and so she can see the country) and my parents (40th wedding aniversary) with me. I ussually spend one night in coming and going in a little local hotel but would prefer something nicer for my family. Also, being as *wood just got this property as part of the Le Meridien deal, I don't know much about it other than it's undergoing renovations for the next 2 years.

Does anyone have any recent experiences here? Should I suck it up and pay for something nicer? The location is ok being near Tivoli Gardens but proximity to Nyhaven would also be a plus during the summer.

Thanks for your help.
The walk from Raadhuspladsen where the hotel is located to Nyhaven is not a long walk, but besides some rooms being aged, at least one word of warning about the Palace Hotel: on certain nights noise can be quite the issue especially for those various nights where (noisy) concerts and other festivities are held in Raadhuspladsen. I also don't recall A/C being present -- which is generally not much of an issue -- but it can get quite a bit stuffy at night and if you have to open the windows it could be a restless night. Hotels around Nyhaven are not necessarily better from a noise perspective as smashed bottles at night and other shouting and drunk screaming are not unheard of, quite literally, but around there the likelihood of concerts and other noisy things being in full swing is far less.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Not to discourage you, but I've seen almost nothing but bad reviews on tripadvisor. The candid photos are especially sobering.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_Zealand.html

If anyone has a first-hand review that can contradict all of this (especially as pertains to the elite-level stay) I'd be much obiged.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:37 pm

Ya know, for 7,000 points or $106 a night I'm willing to risk a bad experience. Afterall, it's one night there. The rest of the trip is spread about between fantastic rooms on the overnight ferry to/from Oslo and 5* bed and breakfast hotels that my boss has stayed (he splits his time between Copenhagen and Arhus). Besides, SOMEONE has to write a recent trip report for this board.

And if I complain, feel free to hit me with the "I told you so" bug.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:31 pm

It's in a great location.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:37 am
Suspended

Ya know, for 7,000 points or $106 a night I'm willing to risk a bad experience. Afterall, it's one night there. The rest of the trip is spread about between fantastic rooms on the overnight ferry to/from Oslo and 5* bed and breakfast hotels that my boss has stayed (he splits his time between Copenhagen and Arhus). Besides, SOMEONE has to write a recent trip report for this board.

And if I complain, feel free to hit me with the "I told you so" bug.
I prefer the Scandic Kramer in Malmo. It's still 10k HHonors points per night and the trains run all night between CPH and there. And it's generally more peaceful rest with no such nasty rooms as indicated in the "candid photo" section.

I'd be more than willing to give you 10k HHonors points for 7k SPG points.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:07 am

Just got back from Copenhagen last week

My wife and I stayed there for 1 night at the end of our trip a week or so ago. I only booked 1 night and for 7000 pts b/c of the BAD reviews on Tripadvisor. I'm not sure I've ever seen reviews that bad on TA for any other property ever. Considering $106 or 7k starpts you should be ok. The place is beautiful on the outside, the lobby is fine, but the rest of it is pretty run down. Given the location I'd suspect Starwood will renuvate it completely inside or sell it to someone who will. The location is fantastic. It's right next to Tivoli the theme park and Stroget the long pedestrian shopping street. The Hop on Hop off buses all pick up and drop off right out the front door. Those are a great way to see the city. ($25 for 2 days) There isn't any A/C, but a small fan is in the rooms we saw. The beds were acceptable. THE "Ice Maker" is on the 2nd floor. One? Really? Take the left elevator - it works fine. The one on the right got stuck between two floors when we were there. Not exactly high tech. You might want to ask for an 'Ambassador' room. We did and were upgraded no prob. They face Rahudspadsen which can be a bit noisy w/ the windows open, but have updated bathrooms and are a bit nicer.

All that having been said, we spent the previous 4 nights in the Marriott. It's a fantastic hotel w/ terrific beds and water views. It is a bit of a small walk (about 10 min) to the Train station/Tivoli/Stroget area. The train station is close to the Marriott and Palace Hotel and is only $4-6 ea. way to from the Airport and only about 12-15 min ride. Easy as pie to navigate. The rate we had at the Marriott was 956-1036 DKK per night w/ full breakfast buffett or about $170.

Good luck. Any other questions - I'll try to respond timely.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
Stayed there two years ago-well not quite. Checked in, went to my room and checked out. I had a really good rate and they had graciously upgraded me to an ambassadors suite but the place was in total disrepair.

Fortunately for me I had a card from one of the managers at the Copenhagen Marriott from a previous stay. I made a quick call from the lobby and by the time I taxied over to the Marriott, I had a sparkling room overlooking the canal on the club floor waiting for me.

The Palace is in a great location and it has potential but it needs an EXTENSIVE make over. The staff were very nice. As others have mentioned, it's in a very noisy location.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:23 pm

Brief update. I've been asked to attend a company meeting during the last week of June (no exact date set yet) in Copenhagen. The good news is I can try the hotel for a night without my wife. Also, I can give a report a month early.

One night for me on a business trip doesn't mean a thing. If it sucks, I don't come back. However, it's pretty important to me that my wife likes Copenhagen/Denmark as i have 4 years left on my contract with the parent company there.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:18 am
Suspended

Brief update. I've been asked to attend a company meeting during the last week of June (no exact date set yet) in Copenhagen. The good news is I can try the hotel for a night without my wife. Also, I can give a report a month early.

One night for me on a business trip doesn't mean a thing. If it sucks, I don't come back. However, it's pretty important to me that my wife likes Copenhagen/Denmark as i have 4 years left on my contract with the parent company there.
If your wife is flying in from the US, you may want to have a way to communicate with/inform her that you have changed places. Fortunately, save the noise issue, you can probably make the determination about the rest of your stay well before she takes off.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:08 am

GU,
She flies with me on July 27th. We'll be together but I appreciate the heads up.

She's one of those types that doesn't want to know anything about where they're going until the day before. Right before bed I'll get "what are we going to see tomorrow". I guess in someways it's nice, innocent and childlike so she enjoys being surprised. In otherways, it's annoying as hell to someone like me who study's a place before I go.

Again, thanks to everyone for the input. As these trips in the next two months make 7 for me in the last year I feel I've gotten to know Copenhagen and Denmark pretty well. If anyone needs help with trip feel free to email me as I'd love to help.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:50 pm

So I had a bit of free time today in Copenhagen and I went to visit the hotel. Very nice on the outside. Great location and an interesting entranceway that was obviously grand at one time. Unfortunately, that time was LONG ago.

I went to the front desk and asked to see a manager figuring they don't get too many people walking in and asking to see a room. I was told there were no managers.....that should have been my first signal!

Eventually after explaining what I wanted, showing my PLT card and having them look up a reservation I have for next month the staff agreed to let me see a room. I was taken to a standard room at the back of the hotel over looking an alley. The desk agent told me that I booked a standard room and this is what I'd get. I asked about upgrades and she looked at me like we weren't speaking the same language. Finally I was told you get what you book, period.....if you want better you can pay more. BTW-my stay is an award stay so now I"m REALLY worried about treatment.

Now for the room itself. It was small. Slightly smaller than most of the other hotels I've stayed in during my trips here so size wasn't a major issues. There was a standard tub with shower like you'll find everywhere in Europe. THe "king" size bed was two singles pushed together with a pretty signigicant space between them.

The walls in both the hallways and the rooms were in desperate need of paintng. Carpets need replacement. The only internet access is in the lobby.

The positives are the history, location and character. The hotel might be nice in a few years after they finish renovations. However, I wouldn't count on it being done any time soon as they've only completed 2 rooms since Feb!

Overall, the hotel is below the Le Meridien (and Sheraton and Westin for that matter) standards but has very nice character. I would not reccomend it for a leisure stay of more than one or 2 nights and even that's shaky as they were finished with the days construction when i was there. It might not even be fit for one night. As for business travelers, without internet in the rooms I find it impractical.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 7:29 am

So at the last minute, I was forced to spend an extra night in Copenhagen. Thought it would be a great time to try the hotel so I'll continue my report. My appologies to those of you who now think I"m obsessed with this property.

Checkin was easy. No line and two people at the counter. I was told they had my plat number on file.....but nothing else. So I waited a few moments and then finally asked for an upgrade since it was clear one was not being offered. The clerk disappears to the back and talks to someone then comes back and says "i guess we can upgrade you this time". It was a bit humilitating but it's possible it was the language. I then asked for the PLT ammenity as I really enjoy the local ammenities on the long shot that it's something unique. I was told that I can have some fruit if i want and that no other options were possible. Seems a clear violation of the program, no?

So finally I take my luggage and so up the elevator. The key is on a HUGE bathtub drain stopper type thing so that you're forced to hand it to the front desk each time you leave (more on that later) which I find to be very outdated especially at a hotel that bills itself as 4*'s. The room that is written on the little piece of paper with my rate is in the back of the hotel, right next to a stack of bags of concrete mix. Luckily, the key didn't fit. They changed the room AFTER they printed the ticket so this was no longer my room. However, had I not asked for an upgrade I would have gotten a room right next to where the construction was!!!!!!!!

Finally, I get to the correct room. The "William Shakespeare Suite". Room was very big (by far biggest I've seen in Denmark) with two twin beds that pushed together to form a king. There was a sitting area with a table, sofa and 2 chairs. 2 armoire/closets. 2 dressers, small tv and a minibar. Bathroom had a full size shower/tub combo. View from the balcony was amazing as you felt that you can reach out and touch the hornblower statue and the bell tower at city hall. Down side was that, as mentioned earlier, it was VERY noisy but that did not bother me.

The only complaints about the room were how worn it was and cleanliness (kinda a big one, no?) The room was not, however as worn as the small room I had seen a few days earlier. There were stains in a few places on the carpet, but none on the furniture. The ironing board was gross with numerous splotches. The bathroom...disquisting. It had everyone's favorite...Pubes plastered around the shower and on the cieling. Obviously a poor job by housekeeping that really made the whole room feel dirty. Also, ashtrays everywhere in what they claim was a non smoking room.

Finally, my last complaint was the key. I HATE the concept of turning in the key each time you leave. It's even worse in a hotel with 166 rooms, how the hell can the staff know who's whom? When I returned from dinner, I asked for the key for my room number. They looked at a computer and simply asked me "are you MrBigBopper?" I said yes and was handed the key. Is it me or is this the worst security you've ever heard of? All you have to do is say yes to a name they ask and you can steal everything in a room!

I would not advise anyone stay at this hotel.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold VIP, Air Tran Elite
Update

Just returned from CPH and stayed at this hotel. Check-in was pretty easy but I had to push for an upgrade as a Plat. They claimed that my original room was an upgrade but I wouldn't want to see the standard room if that's the case. My ambassador level room was large, but the furnishings were really showing their age. I had asked about the renovated rooms and was told that a pipe had burst flooding all of the renovated rooms and a near by theater.

This hotel was beautiful and certainly could be again, but it is badly in need of investment after so many sad years of neglect. Despite the good location, I would not recommend staying here until they finish the renovations. BTW- I was told that the renovations would not be complete for another year and a half... Spring 2008?!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.