Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport (Romulus) [Master Thread]

Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport (Romulus) [Master Thread]

Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Arrow Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport (Romulus) [Master Thread]

We live an hour away from the airport and I am leaving for NY on Wednesday. Because my hubby and I are going to the Detroit theater Tuesday evening and getting back late, I am staying at the airport Westin so I can just walk from my room the next morning to the gate. With a 6:15am flight, I want to be able to get a few hours sleep without worrying about getting to the airport. I'm not fond of this Westin but I'll only be there a few hours at most. If they weren't connected to the airport I would stay elsewhere.

But, after returning from NY the next week, I get in late on a weeknight and noticed that there is a 4 Points Sheraton near the hotel with shuttle service. I booked a room and realized I've never stayed at one before!

Do they honor the 4pm late check outs and give the same ammenities as other Starwood properties? It actually isn't that much cheaper than the Westin but just enough that I figured I would try it. I admit to being a hotel snob- I just wonder how other Platinum (any Preferred) members experience the Four Points. Do they give full Starpoints?

Forgive my ignorance- I just never heard good things about them. The website looks good and they have room service, so it can't be all that bad, can it? It's in Romulus, MI and is called the Detroit Metro Airport Sheraton 4 Points. Do they give the 500 points ammenity for Plat members?
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
You're welcome

4 points by Sheraton is not bad, but it is also at the bottom of the Starwood Chain. I would say it's comfortable and clean with 4 points beds (much like Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds). I would say it's somewhat like a Holiday Inn/Express but with better amenities.

Btw, you are not going to find Bliss bath products at 4 points Rather, you will get the same shampoo etc (Pantene) like you would at a regular Sheraton.

If you are a platinum, they should upgrade you. Some four points have club lounges just like Sheraton and Westin.

Oh, btw, you get free high speed internet at all four points (wired) ^

And yes, you do get the 4pm check out.

If it's not much cheaper than Westin, I'd totally go with Westin instead. Westin (no matter how bad a Westin is, it's most likely going to be better than Four Points...although a lot will argue otherwise with LAX Westin and Four Points)
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:35 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Normally the DTW Westin costs more than double the 4Pts room rate; there is quite a big difference between these hotels! The Westin is worth triple (it is only a year or 2 old and nicely furnished, while that 4Pts is on its last legs prior to refurbishment.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:38 am

I like 4 points and find it a good value. They seem to go the extra mile (at least for me they have). I especially like the one near LAX, alway an upgrade and fruit plate waiting in the room.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thaliajen
Do they give the 500 points ammenity for Plat members?
250 points at Four Points.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:43 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Bump. Any update on recent stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport 8800 Wickham Road Romulus, Michigan? In particular how far is it from the airport and does hotel offer free shuttle? I am only staying 1 night arriving late and leaving early for the flight.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I've only stayed at the Westin, but if your flight is particurarly early, be sure to call the Four Points and verify how early (and most importantly) how often their shuttle runs to the airport. I've been at some airport hotels (not necessarily Four Points) where the shuttle didn;t start until 06:00, not helpful for a 06:30 departure.
Old May 20, 2008, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
4 Points surprise!

I'm a self-admitted snob when it comes to hotels. As a member of Starwood I managed to stay away from 4 Points Sheratons for several years. As we have one near our airport in Detroit, and the Westin was full, I decided to suck it up. This was about a year or so ago and I hated it. The carpets were old and curtains shabby, and it stunk of cigarette smoke. I vowed never to return.

Recently, my hubby was unable to take me to the airport b/c of a meeting. I prefer to stay at the airport Westin anyway, as I get a better night's sleep knowing that everything is packed, and that home is only 25 minutes away in case I did forget some important item. The Westin's rates were really high, and it would've cost me a close to $100 in parking fees and gas both ways, if I had driven myself. So, I decided one more trip to the 4 Points wouldn't kill me.

I put off my arrival as long as I could and had the hubby drop me off. I was stunned to see a very nice lobby, a kind desk staff and a lot of improvements in the lobby/bar area. But what shocked me most was the room! I had reserved a double bed as they only had doubles left, but was upgraded before arrival to a King room on the SPG floor. It was as large as the rooms at the Westin, and completely redone. New carpet, new drapes, new furniture...they even have a microwave and fridge. The free bottled water was where it should be and a new flat screen tv hung on the wall.

This is now my 3rd stay at the 4 Points DTW airport in a month. I can stay here the night before my flights for 2-3000 points or pay a reasonable rate. (I can't even think about all the money I spent at the airport Westin, which, while a great hotel with fabulous suites, still charges quite a lot.) I admit it's the only 4 Points I have stayed at, but as this one is nice, I might explore others. Not on a regular basis, but hey, this isn't bad at all! They even have free internet in the rooms! THAT is new to me-do they all have that service?

In any case, I'm quite impressed and this admitted snob recommends the 4 Points near Detroit airport (actually located in Romulus, MI) as a nice place to stay!^
Old May 20, 2008, 5:47 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...They even have free internet in the rooms! THAT is new to me-do they all have that service?...
For all North American Four Points by Sheraton properties...yes.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 20, 2008, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Wow, now that is really surprising! The cheaper properties offer free internet- that seems backwards IMO. But obviously, I'm not complaining tonight- otherwise I wouldn't be online right now.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Wow, now that is really surprising! The cheaper properties offer free internet- that seems backwards IMO. But obviously, I'm not complaining tonight- otherwise I wouldn't be online right now.
Just as an FYI, free internet will also be featured in all North American aloft and ELEMENT branded hotels when they launch.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 20, 2008, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Honestly, I hope you weren't influenced by all the anti-Four Points BS that is posted on this forum. (FlyerTalkers tend to whine and accentuate the negative about everything.)

Every Four Points I have stayed in -- and that's a total of close to a dozen -- every one of them has been at least decent, and some have been much better than decent. I believe there is an entire thread or two on this forum about which 4P are good and which not so much.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
There are some decent 4 points properties. I usually find 4 points to be a good value to crash for a night or two.

However, there are some reasonably priced Sheratons out there that will provide free bottled water, internet, and some other surprises to Plats.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Wow, with the 2 threads put together, it looks like I am answering a post from 2 years ago with my new post today. I completely forgot that I ever posted that! Good thing I didn't post about the 1st stay in detail- but glad I gave the property a 2nd chance.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Keep in mind this property is dropping (today?) from cat 2 to cat 1 - a great bargain on points, considering how rare a cat 1 is! Will be staying here in May, and will come back to post a review. From the pictures the rennovated four points look nice.

Update 3/9 - was still showing as cat 2 online, so called in and was able to reserve an award room at the cat 1 rate, received confirmation and correct number of points were deducted. Yay for the helpful call center!

Last edited by JeffISU; Mar 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm Reason: Updated with booking info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.