Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

anyone ever succesfully used Skype inflight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone ever succesfully used Skype inflight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I used it ORD-MUC. I called family and friends about 1/2 into the flight. Worked very well! There was though a 2sec delay, but voice was fine on both ends. I got a pair of noise cancelling mic/headphones, and they didnt hear the engines in the background.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jason8612
I used it ORD-MUC. I called family and friends about 1/2 into the flight. Worked very well! There was though a 2sec delay, but voice was fine on both ends. I got a pair of noise cancelling mic/headphones, and they didnt hear the engines in the background.
Which pair of noise cancelling mic/headphones did you get? I'm looking for suggestions on this.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:49 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6029&CatId=390
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by TokyoCanuk
What is the difference in me chatting on either an airphone or skype using my headset as compared to a normal conversation with my seat mate beside me? My voice/volume is no different when I talk on a phone or skype???
The severely high cost of the airphones makes their use limited. Skyping over Connexion, you've got pretty much unlimited use there, or super-cheap with SkypeOut to regular phone numbers even. So some people will be chatting away all flight...

And people will be talking louder using VOIP or using a cellphone on a plane (that's going to be a pain whenever that starts up .) For some reason, it's human nature to talk loudly on a phone. Then you start clipping, the other person can't hear you, and you talk even louder! (Well maybe you don't, but the average person does.) I constantly have to tell my mom that she doesn't need to shout into her cellphone to talk to me. This is made even worse by increased latency as with VOIP over a satellite connection, or cell service over satellite, as the feedback is delayed. When you're talking to a seatmate, you end up talking softer and at a level that your seatmate can hear but isn't louder than it needs to be, since you have that person right there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.