Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '07 Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '07 Toyota Camry

America's best-selling sedan and a favorite of Hertz's "fullsize" fleet is redesigned for 2007, and this week I got ahold of one of the new models at SFO. ^

http://www.toyota.com/camry/index.html

This particular Camry LE had no factory options, and had an MSRP of $20,500.

Powertrain: The Camry's standard 2.4L inline-four is mostly carried over from the previous-generation model, and it produces 158 hp. Pushing the engine produces a bit of typical four-cylinder buzz, but overall the powertrain is pretty quiet and refined. Acceleration is adequate considering the level of horsepower, though the optional 3.5L would probably be better-suited for speeders (not sure if Hertz will eventually carry the V6 models as well though). The five-speed automatic is smooth in its shifts and prompt in response. EPA fuel economy is 24/33 mpg city/highway, and I've been getting around 28 mpg in mixed driving. Not bad for a sedan of this size!

Ride/Handling: IMO, this is where the newest Camry outshines its predecessor the most. Gone are the somewhat spongy steering and body roll of the last model, replaced by nicely weighted steering that is linear and direct in its response, and body motions that are well-controlled. The chassis feels noticeably more communicative, and while it isn't as involving as say, a Mazda 6s, overall the dynamics are quite capable. Brakes are similarly improved, with less mushiness and a more firm pedal feel. As this is a base model though, VSC and traction control were glaringly absent.

Interior: The Camry interior continues the reputation of previous models, with high-quality materials and solid construction. Some of the door and lower dash plastics could have a nicer grade IMO, but they're durable and far from cheap. Tactile quality is similarly excellent, with most knobs and switches having a substantial feel to them. Ergonomics are also well-executed, since controls are within convenient reach and are easily deciphered. Seats are comfortable and easy-to-adjust, though I haven't tried out the back seats yet. Space in the cabin and trunk are both on par with other vehicles in its class.

Design: I generally liked the exterior of the Camry, though the front grille is quite awkward IMO, with the Toyota badge placed off-center at the top of the grille. The interior on the other hand, is very nicely done, with solid ergonomics and a clean, functional design. I especially liked the turquoise backlighting on the climate/audio controls faceplate.

Features: Despite being a base model, the Camry does some have newly standard touches such as a tire pressure monitoring system, steering-wheel audio controls and a power driver's seat. I also noticed that the stereo allows separate audio settings (bass/treble/etc.) for each audio source, such as CD/radio/etc -- an interesting feature.

Value: The new Camry is still classed as a F (F6 to be exact), which is to be expected. Like the previous Camry, it is a bit smaller than some of the other cars in this rate class, but overall the drive makes it my new favorite among F cars. Toyota did its homework with this car, improving on the attributes that needed attention, while retaining the qualities that has made the Camry a top seller.

To sum it up:

The Good
Refinement on par with more expensive cars
High-quality and functional interior
Significantly improved driving dynamics

The Bad
Standard VSC/traction control would be nice
May still be a bit too soft for some
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by prashok
America's best-selling sedan and a favorite of Hertz's "fullsize" fleet is redesigned for 2007, and this week I got ahold of one of the new models at SFO. ^

http://www.toyota.com/camry/index.html

This particular Camry LE had no factory options, and had an MSRP of $20,500.

Powertrain: The Camry's standard 2.4L inline-four is mostly carried over from the previous-generation model, and it produces 158 hp. Pushing the engine produces a bit of typical four-cylinder buzz, but overall the powertrain is pretty quiet and refined. Acceleration is adequate considering the level of horsepower, though the optional 3.5L would probably be better-suited for speeders (not sure if Hertz will eventually carry the V6 models as well though). The five-speed automatic is smooth in its shifts and prompt in response. EPA fuel economy is 24/33 mpg city/highway, and I've been getting around 28 mpg in mixed driving. Not bad for a sedan of this size!

Ride/Handling: IMO, this is where the newest Camry outshines its predecessor the most. Gone are the somewhat spongy steering and body roll of the last model, replaced by nicely weighted steering that is linear and direct in its response, and body motions that are well-controlled. The chassis feels noticeably more communicative, and while it isn't as involving as say, a Mazda 6s, overall the dynamics are quite capable. Brakes are similarly improved, with less mushiness and a more firm pedal feel. As this is a base model though, VSC and traction control were glaringly absent.

Interior: The Camry interior continues the reputation of previous models, with high-quality materials and solid construction. Some of the door and lower dash plastics could have a nicer grade IMO, but they're durable and far from cheap. Tactile quality is similarly excellent, with most knobs and switches having a substantial feel to them. Ergonomics are also well-executed, since controls are within convenient reach and are easily deciphered. Seats are comfortable and easy-to-adjust, though I haven't tried out the back seats yet. Space in the cabin and trunk are both on par with other vehicles in its class.

Design: I generally liked the exterior of the Camry, though the front grille is quite awkward IMO, with the Toyota badge placed off-center at the top of the grille. The interior on the other hand, is very nicely done, with solid ergonomics and a clean, functional design. I especially liked the turquoise backlighting on the climate/audio controls faceplate.

Features: Despite being a base model, the Camry does some have newly standard touches such as a tire pressure monitoring system, steering-wheel audio controls and a power driver's seat. I also noticed that the stereo allows separate audio settings (bass/treble/etc.) for each audio source, such as CD/radio/etc -- an interesting feature.

Value: The new Camry is still classed as a F (F6 to be exact), which is to be expected. Like the previous Camry, it is a bit smaller than some of the other cars in this rate class, but overall the drive makes it my new favorite among F cars. Toyota did its homework with this car, improving on the attributes that needed attention, while retaining the qualities that has made the Camry a top seller.

To sum it up:

The Good
Refinement on par with more expensive cars
High-quality and functional interior
Significantly improved driving dynamics

The Bad
Standard VSC/traction control would be nice
May still be a bit too soft for some

The Camry is a great car. A family member bought one of these a few weeks ago, a 07 LE model. I like the way Toyota redid the Camry. The LE is actually a step up from the base model, and I really like how they equiped it with just enough features. How was the sound system, how did it sound? I didnt get to test that. Was it cloth?

Ryan
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by rgeer
The Camry is a great car. A family member bought one of these a few weeks ago, a 07 LE model. I like the way Toyota redid the Camry. The LE is actually a step up from the base model, and I really like how they equiped it with just enough features. How was the sound system, how did it sound? I didnt get to test that. Was it cloth?
You're right, I just meant "base" as being a car with no options -- but there is indeed a CE trim level that is the base model.

The sound system was alright -- just a standard system, but I'm no audio expert.

This particular car did have cloth seats -- a very nice grade of fabric IMO.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Just did the "specific model reserve" to get a hold of one of these. Im traveling with my son (16) so how big is the back seat? He's around 6'1 so hopefully its big enough as far as leg room? If its anything like the Impala, theres more then enough room.....
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
I bought a 2007 Camry Hybrid just about a month ago.

Back seat is quite roomy---more leg room actually than Impala, I believe. Certainly feels that way. Overall, the car is very roomy.

I was personally blown away by it--obviously, my Hybrid uses some pretty cool technology that the 'regular' Camry doesn't have (V6 power, subcompact fuel economy--what a neat trick!), but just the design of the car itself is impressive.

The Hybrid and XLE come standard with a 440 watt JBL sound system (6 disc/mp3) that is awesome...but who knows if anything on that trim level will make it to Hertz. I would doubt it, given the high demand for the car.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MFLetou
I was personally blown away by it--obviously, my Hybrid uses some pretty cool technology that the 'regular' Camry doesn't have (V6 power, subcompact fuel economy--what a neat trick!), but just the design of the car itself is impressive.
Agreed -- I'm a big car enthusiast, so personally, previous generations of the Camry have been too soft for me. But this latest model is quite a nice drive. ^

Plus, I've always admired the level of engineering and detailing that goes into this car -- it's the Model T or VW Bug of today's American automotive landscape. I was interning for an affiliate of Toyota in Japan during my junior year of college (in 2003), so I got to see some of the level of involvement that went into designing the latest Camry...
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
The Camry has been my preference for years. Glad to learn that the 07 model gets even more refinements. Look forward to renting and driving one soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.