Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE 7/31/09: Cleveland-Independence Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE 7/31/09: Cleveland-Independence Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, AC E50K
Arrow GONE 7/31/09: Cleveland-Independence Hotel [Master Thread]

I will be in Cleveland late Summer for the first time. Does anyone have any info on this hotel. ( locaton, quality, etc..) I cant' even get a photo on the *wood web site. seems as if this may be a new property.
Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:37 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Isn't this the same one that used to be a 4 Pts, then changed into a Clarion, and now back to a Sheraton?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Sure looks like the old 4 points from the map on SPG.com. Can't wait to eat at "The Restaurant" as the web site advertises. Close to Geauga Lake? 10 minutes from the airport? Interesting claims on their home page.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 7:00 pm
Suspended

used to stay at the 4P a few times a yr. I miss. I never understood why it was a 4P and Not a Sheraton.

If its the same place this is indeed good news.

Tried the 4P in Akron what a HOLE! have stayed at the Sher Suites Cuayaga Falls, but the Independence location was alot better, to get too for me.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, AC E50K
Originally Posted by choptliva
Isn't this the same one that used to be a 4 Pts, then changed into a Clarion, and now back to a Sheraton?
Thank-you . Yes I have since discovered it is that original 4 pts hotel apparently now renovated.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:50 pm
Suspended

just passed an hour ago, in Youngstown for tonight, No SPG so its a Hilton for tonight.

Anyway, the Big "S" Logo was on the building, covered by a white sign saying something about Southwest Mgmt or Prop.(Probably the new owners). any way no indication that it was a Raddison till nowwhat so ever.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 4:39 am

Is this the one that started life as a Helmsley?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:02 pm

Unhappy Not Quite a Sheraton yet!!!

Just by chance I looked at their website again today. It says they are taking reservations for stays on or after August 17. I had a reservation for Aug 9. So I called the hotel, and was told that they are not quite a SPG hotel yet, and as of now, though the hotel is open, stays will not earn stays/points nor can we use points for stays. She suggested I call back by the end of next week to see if the Aug 9 reservation is good for SPG benefits etc.
So, folks, if you have made a reservation, you might want to have a plan B just in case, and you might wish to call ahead to make sure SPG works there. YMMV.
Thought some FTers might like to know.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:08 am

Now it's July 20

Well, today the website shows July 20 as the target date. So I called the hotel, and they said "no, not yet." Same story as yesterday. Don't know what to believe any more. I think I'll wait another week to see what happens....
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Downtown?

I'm headed to Cleveland this fall for the first time in the fall - Browns v. Bengals game - is this hotel the best hotel for location in Cleveland?

Doesn't appear to be any downtown - how long of a drive (or $$ for taxi) would this be from the good stuff (provided there is good stuff

Thanks,

T.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt
independence road location in cleveland

Hi.

I live in Cleveland.

The Independence (aka Rockside Road) location in Cleveland is basically a collection of a bunch of office buildings, a few restaurants, and a few hotels which are sited at the crossing of Cleveland's two major highways (480 and 77). 77 runs north/south and heads right into downtown Cleveland - about a 10 minute (15 in traffic) drive with no aesthetic value whatsoever. The surrounding suburbs of that location offer nothing to see either.

There is nothing at that location other than office buildings, hotels and the few restaurants. If I were visiting Cleveland, this is not where I would want to be. If I were you, I'd focus on downtown Cleveland. There are a number of new hotels (or renovations of historic buildings) very near Brown Stadium. You can then enjoy the nightlife in the Warehouse District, or The Flats if you're a thrill seeker. One of the best parts of Cleveland is "University Circle," but the only hotel near there is on the campus of the Cleveland Clinic (big $$$$). Great if you'r a sheik.

An alternative would be the 271/Chagrin Boulevard area in Beachwood. Lots of hotels, restaurants, and office buildings too - but you'd be near the interesting suburbs of Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights and some nice shopping in Beachwood (mall and Legacy Village - the new "lifestyle" center, which is worth seeing).

Independence is probably only 15-20 minutes from the airport though, if you don't want to drive the 10 more minutes to Beachwood.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:26 pm

Very nice property

Just finishing a stay at the Sheraton Independence.
There's a club floor, with breakfast and nice snacks. Hotel is nicely renovated as part of the rebranding. Free wireless HSIA (though my room has poor connectivity -- had to go outside to the lounge to get good reception). Good sized room. Curved shower rod, Sheraton bed, etc.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Nice big (but round) pool, indoors. Outdoor pool under maintenance. Good and well-equipped workout room, with free weights, treadmills, etc. Everything in good condition.
The A/C unit's fan seems loud, but it's not noisy. Just blows hard.
All in all, a very nice property for our brief stopover.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL/GM, HH/no mo status, SPG/PLAT
Just checked into this hotel this evening. As a Plat, was upgraded to the 5th level "concierge" floor. The lounge has a decent evening buffet of crackers, cheese, vegetables, chicken wings, cake, soft drinks and beer. I will report back on breakfast tomorrow.

The workout room is open 24x7 and has 2 treadmills, 2 elips, a system weight machine and some free weights. The indoor pool is circular as stated and is about 20 feet in diameter. It is 10 degrees F right now, but still feels warm enough in the pool room to go swimming. There is also a 6 person hot tub right next to the pool.

Room seems ok for a Sheraton, the furniture is relatively new, but the TVs are still old tubes. The blower for the heater is fairly loud as mentioned earlier and I have yet to find a way to adjust it.

Apparently the restaurant here is staffed by one of the top ten chefs in Cleveland, so I'll post a review of that as well tomorrow. Can't think of anything else right now, any questions welcomed.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hilton-DIA, IHG-Plat Amb, Hyatt-DIA, SPG-Plat & 3 star, Marriott-Gold, Nat'l-Exec, NWA-Sil
I stay here often, as it's close to highways - better tv's now, still a pretty good club lounge, w/ free adult beverages. Close to enough chain restaraunts (for the table cloth experience, try Delmonico's, or for an Irish change of pace (and free wifi) go to Mavis Winkles across the street). The hotel lounge needs "fixing" though, as it only seats ~20. Never ate in the dining room - too close to others, and downtown Cleveland
Old Aug 1, 2009, 4:19 pm

Sheraton Independence Left 7/31/09

Didn't see anything about this, but this hotel, a former Clarion that joined about 3 years ago, has now left SPG. Anyone know what the new flag is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.