Search

Reserving Business First 331 Days in Advance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:11 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Reserving Business First 331 Days in Advance

I'm trying to book a flight in May 2007 and called 331 days in advance at 12:01 AM on the 331st day. The customer rep informed me that at 12:01 AM there were no business first reward seats on any of the partners for the day. Is this a possibility? Could the seats have not been loaded yet?

I find it hard to swallow that I can't use my points even though I'm trying to book a year in advance. This is the first time I'm trying to redeem my miles and I don't really understand much about the opening of seats, waitlists, etc.

Has anyone had successes with waitlists?
Do some skysaver rewards seats open up at 12:01 AM 331 days in advance?
Do the skysaver rewards usually open up at a different time frame than 331 days in order for the airline to try to sell those seats first?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:13 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

The original flight that I'm trying to book is on a Saturday. I'm guessing that this may be there more high demand flight because I can now book a flight on Monday (but who wants to start a trip on a Monday...and waste the weekend trying to wait for it).

Andrew
Old Jun 24, 2006, 8:16 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

So I booked a Monday flight and waitlisted for a weekend flight.

I still think it is rediculous how that you can't get a seat a year in advance when the flight is wide open...
Old Jun 24, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by flyfarfar
Any help is greatly appreciated.
The answers you seek are here
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:23 am

DL/CO will and should release 0 award seats on flights is expects to sell out. As someone trying to redeem miles for free travel, you should expect only to receive excess inventory that DL/CO belieives would otherwise go as unsold.

Originally Posted by flyfarfar
So I booked a Monday flight and waitlisted for a weekend flight.

I still think it is rediculous how that you can't get a seat a year in advance when the flight is wide open...
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:38 am

I'm also waitlisted for a BE reward seat in September. I'm confirmed for a Tuesday, and waitlisted for Sat-Sun-Mon. How 'unsold' does the flight need to be for seats to be released on award travel and how long prior to the actual flight is this likely to be done?

Susan
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I'm also waitlisted for a BE reward seat in September. I'm confirmed for a Tuesday, and waitlisted for Sat-Sun-Mon. How 'unsold' does the flight need to be for seats to be released on award travel and how long prior to the actual flight is this likely to be done?

Susan
Only yield management knows. Seriously.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
DL/CO will and should release 0 award seats on flights is expects to sell out. As someone trying to redeem miles for free travel, you should expect only to receive excess inventory that DL/CO belieives would otherwise go as unsold.
Not necessarily. Award travel is not free travel. Certainly the airlines have to strike a balance in favor of the paying customer, but your assertion is just plain wrong.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:49 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by vasantn
Certainly the airlines have to strike a balance in favor of the paying customer
Absoultely.

Every day or two it seems one of these "why can't I use my miles for..." threads appear. They all irritate me because I do not understand why people feel they are entitled to use their miles for a SkySaver award whenever they want. I only use mine for SkySaver awards, but I know that I must be flexible.

Folks, if you want to guarantee a seat, BUY IT or pay the SkyChoice price. Why is that so difficult to understand?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Absoultely.

They all irritate me because I do not understand why people feel they are entitled to use their miles for a SkySaver award whenever they want. I only use mine for SkySaver awards, but I know that I must be flexible.
Personally, I don't think it is unreasonable that EVERY flight have at least one SkySaver and two SkyChoice seats available. Even on an RJ, you are talking about 6% of the inventory... on an international flight, you are looking at more like 1.5 percent.

Just my opinion, although it certainly isn't the airlines.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by jims66
Personally, I don't think it is unreasonable that EVERY flight have at least one SkySaver and two SkyChoice seats available.
100% of the seats on every flight are available for free using SkyChoice awards, jimmy.

This thread is about J seats. It is unreasonable to think the airline will forgo $4000 of revenue to make a seat available for free SkySaver travel on a flight that would sell-out with paid customers.

This is a business. SkySaver award should be considered to come from EXCESS inventory only.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100% of the seats on every flight are available for free using SkyChoice awards, jimmy.

This thread is about J seats. It is unreasonable to think the airline will forgo $4000 of revenue to make a seat available for free SkySaver travel on a flight that would sell-out with paid customers.

This is a business. SkySaver award should be considered to come from EXCESS inventory only.
Again, I take exception to the word "free." Award seats are not free. In return for your loyalty (translated as flying the airline when better options are available), the airline promises you certain benefits. These benefits are earned, not freebies, despite the fact that the airline can exercise some discretion as to how and when it makes those benefits available.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Again, I take exception to the word "free." Award seats are not free. In return for your loyalty (translated as flying the airline when better options are available), the airline promises you certain benefits. These benefits are earned, not freebies, despite the fact that the airline can exercise some discretion as to how and when it makes those benefits available.
You obviously do not understand the concept of Saver Awards vs Choice Awards. For your loyalty, Delta will give you a seat at the Saver price that would otherwise be unutilized. Both sides are happy. You get flights worth $4000-8000 and Delta does not loose any revenue.

Now, if you want a seat to Nice during the Cannes Film Festival, Delta is not going to have an empty J seat. To accomodate you, Delta will loose revenue. So, Delta wants to provide its members the opportunity to use their miles for such a trip while also discouraging its members from doing so because of the lost revenue.

This is not complex.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You obviously do not understand the concept of Saver Awards vs Choice Awards.
Gee, I guess not. I must have just fallen off the turnip truck.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
The fact that delta allocates their own (award) inventory 331 days in advance does not necessarily mean their partners do so, too

Seriously, every airline has their own timeframe - with AF for example, it is 360 days in advance (but using DL miles, no way to get a hold of them at the 360 days since DL's system can only process 331 days out...). With others, it is less than the 331 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.