Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien King Edward Toronto - now has LEFT Starwood [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien King Edward Toronto - now has LEFT Starwood [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Arrow Le Meridien King Edward Toronto - now has LEFT Starwood [Master Thread]

I just finished a stay at the King Edward in Toronto.

It's one of the better *W hotels in Toronto. Located near the intersection of Yonge and King Streets. It is conveniently close to shopping (Eaton Centre) and the subway (King Station). As a Platinum, I was given an upgrade to a Junior Suite on the 12th floor (with partial view of the lake). The room is quite nice with a comfortable bed, sofa, work desk and some chairs. I guess the only thing they may want to improve on is the tv. It's rather small (may be 22"). There was internet connection for a fee and local/toll free calls are free.

As part of the junior suite package, you also get to use the boardroom for 3 hours and has a complimentary limo service within 4 km of the hotel on Mon to Fri from 7.30-9.30am.

I was also provided access to the lounge (11th floor) for breakfast and evening spreads. The breakfast was continental (no hot items except for oatmeal) but was satisfying. I didn't partake to the evening spreads (wine and soft drinks are free though).

The hotel has a nice gym on the 2nd floor. I believe there is a spa there as well (though I didn't visit it).

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay at the King Edward. The deco may be a little old but it's comfortable.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:42 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Royal Meridien Toronto

The King Edward is the Royal Meridien and it is a great hotel with one big exception....or small exception if you think so.

None of the rooms have coffee machines......I love these machines in the morning and I really am amazed the King Eddie does not have them.....it is the only hotel in all of North America that I can think of without coffee machines, even the Montreal Meridien has them!

Get with the program, I say to the King Eddie. Otherwise this is a very fine property and they treat Plat members very well with great upgrades from my experience. I love the hotel and plan to stay there many more times .....
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
The King Edward is the Royal Meridien and it is a great hotel with one big exception....or small exception if you think so.

None of the rooms have coffee machines......I love these machines in the morning and I really am amazed the King Eddie does not have them.....it is the only hotel in all of North America that I can think of without coffee machines, even the Montreal Meridien has them!

Get with the program, I say to the King Eddie. Otherwise this is a very fine property and they treat Plat members very well with great upgrades from my experience. I love the hotel and plan to stay there many more times .....
I noticed that too. I prefer tea, and most of the hotels I stay in now stock tea bags with the coffee supplies. Not the King Eddy, though. However, nice suite upgrades and very helpful staff.

There's always the lounge, or Tim's across the steet!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Even though the King Eddie is well suited as a business hotel, I don't think it is the type of hotel that would provide coffee machines in the room. As far as I recall, neither does the Fairmont Royal York or similar full service, old-money hotels.

Just finished my second stay at the King Eddie, both within the past couple of months. Upgraded both times to a very nice suite (one paid reservation, one reward stay). Front desk staff were a little slow on both occassions, but otherwise the staff and hotel are both excellent. Most importantly... they have a very good lounge that competes with the best I have seen from Starwood properties, serving a very good continental breakfast, evening drinks/snacks and serve yourself water/non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day. And... to the OP's original point, the lounge also provides tea and coffee throughout the day.

Highly recommend the King Eddie for any Plat who needs a downtown Toronto location for business or recreation. It is an old style hotel, so if you only frequent W hotels the atmosphere and furnishings may not suit you. However, they do a good job, the suites are spacious, and the lounge is excellent.

SG
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
King Eddie is great with lots of character. The lounge is very good too.

When I stayed in Aug, the staff was saying that there are some rumors that the hotel would be sold and leaving the SPG family.. Anyone has updates on that?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Snoopyo
King Eddie is great with lots of character. The lounge is very good too.

When I stayed in Aug, the staff was saying that there are some rumors that the hotel would be sold and leaving the SPG family.. Anyone has updates on that?
Would not surprise me one bit, with a new W and a new aLoft coming in T.O. why would Starwood need this property?
This property is more old school than the current "Meridien" style, it doesn't fit well into the Meridien brand. Isn't Le Méridien brand going after the Sofitel brand in price, class and style, since both have French roots? If so, this one doesn't fit.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:45 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
If I remember correctly, Le Meridien used to be owned by Air France at one points until maybe somewhere in the 90s....

The Brussels Le Meridien is rather nice as I remembered. Montparnasse is concrete / glass block and not a lot of character. More a typical convention hotel...
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I hope the hotel is not sold. For the same price as the Sheraton near the Eaton Centre, King Eddie is less crowded, has a better lounge, better service and most of all, the upgrades are tremendous.

The only thing that's going Sheraton's way is the bigger gym / pool.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:47 pm

IMO, Le Meridian King Edward is the best in Toronto. Great lounge, and location ^
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:18 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Le Meridien by far. A hotel with character and not a soulless concrete monster.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: SPG P/Hyatt D/AC G/HU G
Smile Le Meridien King Edward Toronto [Master Thread]

Overall, the biggest discovery is Le Méridien King Edward, Toronto.

The highlights of PLT member benefits from this hotel:

1. Free local phone calls and in room internet

2. 24 hours club lounge (Twinings Tea, coffee, Mini bar with cold drinks)

3. Free morning limousine serivce with in Toronto downtown area (Week day times, I don't have chance to try)

4. Happy hour provide beer and red/white wine

5. Free Continental breakfast in the lounge

They give me a two queen suite,the room was nice, totally British style luxurious.

The location of Le Méridien King Edward is nice too, walk distance to anywhere in downtown. Only 2 mins walk to subway...

I usually travel within China, as most travelers known, 90% luxury hotels' environment and service in China is better than North American, like the room space, room hardware, breakfast, executive lounge etc.

Even that, I still have to say, Le Méridien King Edward's benefits can count as TOP 10 benefits I had experienced. I have been hold IC PLT member for 3 years and SPG PLT member for another 3 years.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 22, 2008 at 10:49 pm Reason: Copied from another thread where poster reviews 6 Canadian Starwoods
Old Mar 20, 2008, 4:37 pm

I recently stayed at the King Edward for one night and wanted to recommend it as well. I got upgraded without asking to a suite. The lounge has quite a nice breakfast in the morning with fresh fruit, salmon, and muffins. In the evening (I think 5:30 - 7 or so) they have various cheeses and breads. The location is close to a metro station. I didn't ask about the free car service so can't comment on that part of the previous poster's experience.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 3:44 pm

At KING EDDIE now, a big suite is waiting without asking, lounge is open during the weekend, excellent location, north to Eaton Center, South to the lake, all within walking distance. it looks the first choice for SPG Platium in Toronto
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:32 pm

That seems a good deal if going to Toronto

Le Méridien King Edward
Toronto, Ontario

Complimentary valet parking
$25 Esso gas card per stay
Overnight accommodations Rates starting from $159 per night
Valid June 27 - August 31, 2008
Book online or call 1-866-716-8101 and reference GASPKG
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:41 pm

Smile Le Méridien King Edward in Toronto

What Eve Drinks/hors D Oeuvres do they have at Le Méridien King Edward in Toronto for Royal club floor people? Anybody know about this? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.