Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '06 Toyota RAV4

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Ride Report - '06 Toyota RAV4

Flew into SJC this week and found the redesgined RAV4 in my stall...

http://www.toyota.com/rav4/index.html

I'm not sure if Hertz carries any other trim levels, but this particular one was a base 4x4 model with optional 17" alloy wheels and had an MSRP of $22,865.

Powertrain: The standard engine in the RAV4 is Toyota's 2.4L inline-four, and in this cute-ute it pumps out 166 hp. In general, the motor is refined and willing to rev, with only a slight hint of four-cylinder buzz. Power is really never an issue, though I imagine the optional 3.5L V6 would make this SUV very quick. The four-speed automatic is generally smooth and prompt with shifts -- though it's odd that the five-speed automatic used in other cars (like the '07 Camry) is not standard, especially since the extra gear would possibly help highway mileage. EPA fuel economy is 23/28 mpg city/highway, and I've been getting around 25 mpg in mixed driving.

Ride/Handling: Surprisingly, for a small SUV the RAV4 is quite fun-to-drive. An electric steering unit is usually a recipe for numbness, but in the RAV4 it actually provides good precision and a weighty feel at speed. Similarly, body roll and general chassis grip are significantly better than the RAV4's smaller, more "tippy" predecessor. Ride quality is smooth for the most part, and remains composed over rough roads. Brake feel is also firm and easy-to-modulate, and braking performance is good. Wind and road noise levels seem a bit higher than the average sedan, but they're nothing excessive. VSC and traction control are standard and they have been unintrusive thus far.

Interior: The interior of the RAV4 is generally of high quality and is easy-to-use. Dash and door plastics are somewhat hard to the touch, but have a solid feel. Build and tactile quality are also good. Ergonomics are sound, despite the odd "stacked" look of the climate and radio controls. Seats are comfortable and easy-to-adjust, and the steering wheel both tilts and telescopes. Space in the cabin is quite roomy, especially in the rear seats, which have adjustments of their own. Cargo area space is of an acceptable size for a small/midsize SUV.

Design: The RAV4 looks a bit more "grownup" now, with a more subtle and sculpted style. Similarly, the interior trades quirkiness for a bit more simple look, save for the two-tier design of the radio and climate controls. Overall, I like the look, at it's clean and aggressive, without some of the awkward details that sometimes find their way into Toyota's designs. The only real complaints I have are that the tailgate still opens the wrong way (designed for the Japanese market to open to the right, for curbside loading) and the spare tire does hamper rear visibility a bit.

Features: Despite being a base model, the RAV4 is well-equipped, with a good list of standard features, and a few nice touches, such as the auto open-close second glovebox, standard tire-pressure monitoring system, Brake Assist, and a simple-to-use folding rear seat system.

Value: The new RAV4 is classed as a Q4, which I imagine would put it in the same segment as the Escape and Outback. While I like the more aggressive dynamics of the Subaru, the RAV4 is more refined. For a speed freak like me, I'd probably try to score a V6 model (if Hertz carries them), but overall the RAV4 is a great vehicle for those seeking something with a bit of the utility, without the bulk. ^

To sum it up:

The Good
More fun-to-drive than many sedans
Versatile, yet reasonably economical
Cool and clean styling (IMO)

The Bad
Could use some nicer interior trim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.