Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Rerouted to US... "We don't usually post miles when rerouted due to weather..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

I called AA to get credit for a June 24 TPA-MIA-LAS trip for which I was rerouted on HP/US nonstop TPA-LAS due to weather in both MIA and TPA cancelling my TPA-MIA flight and severely delaying my MIA-LAS flight. Anyway, the AAgent on the phone claimed that normally they wouldn't give me the credit for my original routing because the reroute was due to weather "and it's not really our fault plus we had to pay the other airline". She did let me know that they would do it just this one time though, but only because I'm taking the Gold ChAAllenge.

This time I got what I wanted, but is this their normal response to this type of request? Weather frequently gets hairy in summer in Florida, and I've never had DL, NW, or CO deny me credit for an original routing after a weather-related reroute. And with AA having a MIA hub, I can foresee this happening a lot.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:12 am

AAdvantage T&Cs state that they don't do it, period:

Mileage will be credited only to the account of the AAdvantage member who flies, rents a car, stays at a hotel or earns mileage utilizing other participating companies. No mileage credit will be awarded for canceled flights or if you are accommodated on another airline.
That being said, though, it does happen on an exception basis, and your case is no exception to that.

Mike
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:26 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It was very nice of AA to interline you due to weather.

If it happens again and you really want the miles, ask the AAgent to make a note in your PNR asking that you receive "original routing credit". The AAgent may or may not do it, since weather is beyond AA's control and they are already doing you a big favor by interlining you.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I thought weather interline reroutes were SOP. They seem to be for me anyway! Stupid Florida summer weather.

That said, thanks for the tip about asking the AAgent to note "Original Routing Credit" in my PNR. I'll keep that in mind next time.

It was quite fortuitous that they did interlin eme that night. After sitting at TPA for ~6 hours we arrived in LAs abotu 20 minutes after the original scheduled time. I absolutely HAD to be there, too. Overall I was happy with AA's handling of the situation.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
As a matter of practice, I've never been denied original routing credit when being rerouted onto another airline due to weather or due to an involuntary or voluntary bump -- whether on AA or otherwise -- and I think that it is poor form for an airline to suggest that they are making an exception for a traveler in awarding such credit in instances such as that of the original poster. Original routing credit should be the rule, not the exception, except where the traveler voluntarily switches to another flight at his or her own initiative (i.e. standing by for a nonstop instead of a connection).
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
As a matter of practice, I've never been denied original routing credit when being rerouted onto another airline due to weather
you've been lucky then. or it's been infrequent enough to qualify for "exception" status each time...
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
I have been told by AA CSR that AA that as a general policy AA does not even provide original mileage credit for reroutes due to weather on AA. That said, it has been my experience that they will indeed give credit for such reroutes, and so the moral of the story is that despite what AA tells you on such matters, it is often possible to get around such rules.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ask for your PNR to have the "original routing credit" appended to the record. If nothing happens, call and say "I was given an involuntary reroute" and "would like to request my original routing credit." I find the wording seems to help, and on occasion I have been told they will do it "just this once, as an exception."

It has worked for me, whether rerouted to BA US-UK, US, UA, NW, etc. but as always, YMMV, as AA has written policy nako has posted. I've always been very pleased AA have done this for me - it actually does make me feel like a valued customer; I hope you are also happy AA granted you the original routing credit for your wx-caused reroute. Exceptional!
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin33
you've been lucky then. or it's been infrequent enough to qualify for "exception" status each time...
To be fair, this is the first time it's happened on AA. I'm testing the waters after being a DL, NW, and CO flier for years. Those airlines have never blinked when I've asked for original credit when rerouted or interlined. They have always done it when I ask.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by martin33
Probably a dozen times altogether, maybe four or so on AA.

Lucky or not, I don't know.

The "exception" should be the rule. Customers shouldn't have to pull teeth to get mileage credit as booked due to irregular operations or when they do the airline a favor by volunteering to be bumped.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah, that's a horse of another color, however: we are talking about involuntary reroutes, you are adding in voluntary "bumps" for which there is even additional compensation as wel las original or flown mielage credit.

If I worked for AA, knowing the rules say "no," and that somewhere I have also been told I can stingily grant original routing credit with others possibly looking over my shoulder, I'd probably also do the "just this once" dance.

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Probably a dozen times altogether, maybe four or so on AA.

Lucky or not, I don't know.

The "exception" should be the rule. Customers shouldn't have to pull teeth to get mileage credit as booked due to irregular operations or when they do the airline a favor by volunteering to be bumped.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:54 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
mrs and I were ticketed and booked DPS-HKG-BKK on CX. Arrived at the airport and were informed that incoming flight was late due to weather in HKG and we were being accomodated on TG direct to BKK. I asked the CX agent about the miles on AAdv and she took our details and said we would get the credit.

I gave CX 2 weeks, and no miles so I filled out the claim uncredited miles form on aa.com explaining the reasons. Within 3 days we got the credit for DPS-HKG - but not HKG-BKK - weird. Well i assume the rest is on its way - they can't really credit for one of two segment rerouted for the same reason.

So it seems it does not even need to be aa metal to get the credit.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ask for your PNR to have the "original routing credit" appended to the record. If nothing happens, call and say "I was given an involuntary reroute" and "would like to request my original routing credit." I find the wording seems to help, and on occasion I have been told they will do it "just this once, as an exception."
Thanks for the tip.

I was told that even with PNR showing "original routing credit," AA will not credit mileage for weather-related problem. PERIOD, said CSR.

"You are adviced from now on, no mileage credit will be given for flights cancelled due to weather."

At the end, an exception was made. Thank you, AA.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
I was recently rerouted from AA EWR-ORD-CLE to CO EWR-CLE because of WX at ORD. The AAgent had no problem giving me the original miles. Said giving miles was SOP on an invol.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; SPG Platinum
Hello all,

I was rerouted from an AA flight (LGA-ORD-DEN) over the weekend (because of weather in ORD) to a United flight that went direct to Denver from LGA. I was supposed to be in F on a K-UP (or Y-UP?) and ended up in economy on the UA flight. Happy that AA made arrangements to get me to Denver but wondered what the best strategy was for claiming miles and Tier Points as I actually had my British Airways FF number in the original booking (which is where I want the miles and TPs to be credited). Is it a case of phoning AAdvantage or AA Reservations and asking for the "Original Route Credit" as described above? Are they any less likely to oblige given that it is a BA FF# rather than AA?

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.