Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Tilton to speak on the "The Future of Aviation" (Thursday, July 20, 2006)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver

Not necessarily all UA related but would be interesting to attend if in Chicago.

THE CHICAGO COUNCIL ON FOREIGN RELATIONS

in partnership with

THE CHICAGOLAND CHAMBER OF COMMERECE FOUNDATION and THE UNITED STATES CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

invites you to a conference on

The Future of Aviation

featuring keynote speaker

GLENN F. TILTON
CHAIRMAN, PRESIDENT, AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
UNITED AIRLINES

Thursday, July 20, 2006
9:00 a.m.-1:15 p.m.

Session I - Challenges Facing the System
Session II - Forward Thinking: Aviation in the Days Ahead
Session III - Cargo Air Transport
Luncheon and Keynote Address by Glenn F. Tilton
The James Hotel
55 East Ontario Street, Chicago, Illinois 60614

CCFR Members $100 | Nonmembers $145

Online Registration

Join business and community leaders as well as senior government officials for a timely discussion of The Future of Aviation. Glenn F. Tilton, Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer of United Airlines will present the keynote address at this half-day conference jointly hosted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce Foundation.

Expert panelists drawn from the national and local aviation community will address the challenges facing the aviation industry, the impact on the national economy, local communities and businesses, and discuss possible solutions to the array of problems. Looking to the future of the U.S. aviation industry, there will be a discussion of the FAA reauthorization, industry infrastructure, and the future of the airlines.

Reservations must be made directly with the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce Foundation by Monday, July 17, 2006 at 5:00 p.m.
Registrations are non-refundable. No-shows will not receive a refund. All registrations require pre-payment.
Limited seating available.

Online Registration

For more information about this event, please contact the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce Foundation:
312.494.6709 | [email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 The Chicago Council on Foreign Relations
All Rights Reserved
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:47 am

Speeches in Singapore, Bangkok, Chicago about the future of Airlines from one that doesn't have a clue This jerk needs to put his butt behind his desk and straighten out the numerous problems he has with the Airline's lack of profit, lousy website (That is down on a saturday at 10:30am Eastern time ) and problems with lack of knowledge of the employees in India.

THE SINGLE SIGN-ON LOGIN FAILED.

" DUE to system maintenence, your registration on united. com will take 24 hours to process. While we update our records you may shop for flights and purchase tickets as a guest. To receive miles for your travel, enter your Mileage Plus number at the time of Purchase>

I attempted to sign in not re-register. I cannot get to Shop for flights without getting the same statement. Cannot check award travel or get to my itineries to print the itineraries I have. This at 10:00am on SaturdayIN JULY AN AIRLINES WEBSITE IS DOWN AND THE CEO IS MAKING SPEECHES ABOUT THE FUTURE OF AVIATION ?????

UNITED'S BOARD SHOULD SOLVE MR. TILTON'S FUTURE BY SEEING THAT HE HAS A RIDE TO THE UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE.

Last edited by billhar; Jul 8, 2006 at 11:16 am
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
try going to the main page and log in again...
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billhar
A FRIDAY IN JULY AN AIRLINES WEBSITE IS DOWN AND THE CEO IS MAKING SPEECHES ABOUT THE FUTURE OF AVIATION ?????

UNITED'S BOARD SHOULD SOLVE MR. TILTON'S FUTURE BY SEEING THAT HE HAS A RIDE TO THE UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE.
I'm the first one to complain about united.com and what a piece of crap it is, but I do think Tilton performed well in taking over a bankrupt airline and getting it back on track.

This presentation sounds interesting, I think I'm going to attend.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm the first one to complain about united.com and what a piece of crap it is, but I do think Tilton performed well in taking over a bankrupt airline and getting it back on track.

Please let us know if there's anything of importance.

I would be glad to go with you if I could.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959

You might ask him if making speeches about the future of the Airline Industry will help fix United's problems. I think there is an old saying Adjusted for this forum) Maybe if there is a question period you can ask him when he will get the website fixed. Possibly he doesn't know there is a problem !!!!!!!!!!!

"Action talks and talking walks"

Another :Action speak louder than words."

Tilton came from the oil industry with NO aviation experience. To go around pretending to be an expert on the industry is a little much.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:33 pm

Programs: UAL
Originally Posted by billhar
You might ask him if making speeches about the future of the Airline Industry will help fix United's problems. I think there is an old saying Adjusted for this forum) Maybe if there is a question period you can ask him when he will get the website fixed. Possibly he doesn't know there is a problem !!!!!!!!!!!

"Action talks and talking walks"

Another :Action speak louder than words."

Tilton came from the oil industry with NO aviation experience. To go around pretending to be an expert on the industry is a little much.
Probably true.

How many years have you spent running an airline with hundreds of large planes and tens of thousands of employees which does billions of dollars of business every year?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:22 pm

Considering that fuel is by far the highest cost that any airline has right now, I'm glad to have someone leading United that understands that industry as well as the airline industry.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:14 pm

What does Tilton know about aviation industry? 0 - Z-E-R-O 0. If he knew, UA would be in much better shape. I certain that all of his presentations are prepared by others...

Tilton, you need to spend more time on:

1) fixing united.bomb
2) listening to the customers and implement service first mind for all UA staff
3) better organize employee pension and particularly employee relationship (this is significant concern for most of UA employees, which, I think, interferes with providing good customer service.

Instead of wandering around and speaking about things that he does not know well.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
Originally Posted by brahms77
What does Tilton know about aviation industry? 0 - Z-E-R-O 0. If he knew, UA would be in much better shape. I certain that all of his presentations are prepared by others...

Tilton, you need to spend more time on:

3) better organize employee pension and particularly employee relationship (this is significant concern for most of UA employees, which, I think, interferes with providing good customer service.

Instead of wandering around and speaking about things that he does not know well.
Better organize employee pension It's gone, he made it go away That is the very reason I would never support U-haul, how can you expect your employees to be happy and work hard for you when you keep cutting their pay, and taking away their pensions? I would rather support a company who cares enough to support their employees while struggeling to regain profitibility and continue fund their employee pension plans (AA!!!).
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:40 pm

[QUOTE=billhar]
What kind of termination package do you think they will award him?
LWW
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by G- five
Better organize employee pension It's gone, he made it go away That is the very reason I would never support U-haul, how can you expect your employees to be happy and work hard for you when you keep cutting their pay, and taking away their pensions? I would rather support a company who cares enough to support their employees while struggeling to regain profitibility and continue fund their employee pension plans (AA!!!).
And AMR is some sort of little princess that didn't cut any pay for their employees?

What a joke.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by tuolumne
And AMR is some sort of little princess that didn't cut any pay for their employees?
The AA employees agreed to salary cuts, but their pensions are intact.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
What does Tilton know about aviation industry? 0 - Z-E-R-O 0. If he knew, UA would be in much better shape.
I think you really need to wait and see how the second quarter went. It he's made a profit for the airline, he may very well know something about turning one around.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:52 pm

I certain that all of his presentations are prepared by others...
Of course...as are speeches presented by most all CEOs, US Presidents, US Senators, etc. I have written my share of such speeches and I know how they are created and the time and effort involved in their preperation, revisions, and delivery.

I predict that there will be scant attention focused on anything provocative, embarassing, or controversial to the "stake holders" of the enterprise...This is PR for UA in their home town...do you think he will revel any mistakes, take his Board to task, or denigrate his company by presenting anything controversial? He will be talking about the future...not the past...in vague generalities I suspect.

I can assure you that the speech will be entertaining and delivered with passion, persuasion, conviction, the logic of the reasoning will be "tight", and will likely contain a "little bit for everyone". His delivery may be subject to his somewhat distracting lisp but you can be almost certain that the speech will be deliverd from memory as he has an amazing, uncanny recall ability...and he will have rehearsed the speech more than once.

Simply stated, Mr. Tilton is at his best in front of the "lights" and not bad one-on-one, IMHO. He did not get to his high status in life based on luck!

I will look forward to a report in the press or from our attending fellow FTers regarding their impressions of this event.

LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Jul 8, 2006 at 9:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.