Wiki Posts
Search

Duvets coming to AA (763 and 777)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Duvets coming to AA (763 and 777)

Rumor has it that duvets and a larger pillow will be coming in F and J as part of the upgrades linked with the new J seats.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:47 am
Suspended

not a rumor

Originally Posted by hillrider
Rumor has it that duvets and a larger pillow will be coming in F and J as part of the upgrades linked with the new J seats.
The package that AA put out on the new J-seat several months ago made specific reference to "comfy cotton duvet and larger pillow."

It was posted here as well.

However, I seriously question what definition of "duvet" is being used-- not what we think of, IMHO.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do we really need a bigger premiumcabin pillow?

Seriously, if it gets any larger, there will be nowhere to put it when not lying on it - especially given the lack of available storage areas with the new J seats.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JonNYC
However, I seriously question what definition of "duvet" is being used-- not what we think of, IMHO.
It would be nice if it bridged the gap -- even part way -- between what is offered now and what you get on the major international carriers. In my mind, this is the biggest sacrifice of flying, say, AA to LHR instead of BA: AA's F seat is as good or better; I don't care about the food; BA's lounges are better, but I don't need an excuse to spend a lot of time in the airport (plus I'm perfectly happy in the CX lounge at LHR); but the duvets make a big difference in the comfort of the seat when you're trying to sleep.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The package that AA put out on the new J-seat several months ago made specific reference to "comfy cotton duvet and larger pillow."

It was posted here as well.
Oh, sorry, I missed it, and didn't think of running a search. Apologies.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blumie
It would be nice if it bridged the gap -- even part way -- between what is offered now and what you get on the major international carriers. In my mind, this is the biggest sacrifice of flying, say, AA to LHR instead of BA: AA's F seat is as good or better; I don't care about the food; BA's lounges are better, but I don't need an excuse to spend a lot of time in the airport (plus I'm perfectly happy in the CX lounge at LHR); but the duvets make a big difference in the comfort of the seat when you're trying to sleep.
Agreed on all counts. But, IMHO, since they're talking about J (no idea what's planned in F)-- there's no way we're gettin' anything along the line of a CX/LA/BA type F-class duvet. I think we're basically talking about... a blanket. BUT, I certainly hope I'm wrong.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I think we're basically talking about... a blanket. BUT, I certainly hope I'm wrong.
I've always thought of a duvet as being more than just a pretentious word for a blanket. I guess we'll find out.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:46 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I've always thought of a duvet as being more than just a pretentious word for a blanket. I guess we'll find out.
I always think of it more along the lines of a comforter.

FWIW, definition from dictionary.com: A quilt, usually with a washable cover, that may be used in place of a bedspread and top sheet.

I also agree with Jon on the wait and see attitude with regard to what AA ends up with.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Hey-- a duvet in J sounds great to me. I assume it has to have some kind of duvet-like characteristics (removable cover and/or some kind of quilted construction) in order to -not- be just a misnamed blanket.. Maybe you're right, I should be more hopeful that AA has a breakthrough on this front-- would make a huge difference.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 11, 2006 at 12:54 pm
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

du·vet (dū-vā', dyū-) n. A quilt, usually with a washable cover, that may be used in place of a bedspread and top sheet. Source:http://www.answers.com/duvet&r=67 Note that others (WordNet) define it as "a soft quilt usually filled with the down of the eider"
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:22 pm

You know folks those pillows and duvets will be stored in the premium cabin overhead bins when you get on.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by millionmiler
You know folks those pillows and duvets will be stored in the premium cabin overhead bins when you get on.
Yes. We know that.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Shouldn't they be waiting in plastic wrap on your seat... at least before long-haul flights?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by tismfu
Shouldn't they be waiting in plastic wrap on your seat... at least before long-haul flights?
Nope - if CX, BA, or LX in F are typical. The duvets are typically pulled out of the overhead bins and set up by the FAs upon request.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:58 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
On BA in First (777) they had duvets for each pax. They also had nice blankets. They also had a cute little throw pillow for your compantion who was dining in the suite-seat arrangement.

The duvet was more a down comforter covered with a cotton coverlet.

Some pax used the duvet as a covering for warmth.

Others, me included, used the duvet as a feather bed .. to go over the seat . and sleep on top of it with a blanket covering me. THAT made for a heavenly bed and was nice and clean (top and bottom).

As I recall the duvets were stored someplace and the FAs offered to 'make up your bed' when you wanted.

NOW what AA really needs to start offering is nice pajamas for their flights (J/P) .. THAT would be a nice upgrade! Tho if they use the same company that supplies the wash-up towel-ettes .. it will not be nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.