Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex or Visa for car rental CDW?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Amex or Visa for car rental CDW?

From the standpoint of the auto rental CDW program, is one coverage preferable between the Hilton Hhonors Amex or the Choice Privileges Visa from Bank of America? At this time I'd rather build up points on the Visa, but I'd like to know if Amex's coverage is better.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:50 pm

I don't know how my Visa (United Mileage Plus Platinum) or Amex cards (SPG, Rewards Gold Plus) compare to yours, but I'm looking at the same issue. I'll probably use the Visa for upcoming rentals in the UK because it is primary coverage overseas and clearly covers loss of use as well as damage. Well, OK -- another reason is that I'm getting double miles on car rentals through the Visa.

If you're using an Amex, another option is to sign up for the premium coverage. I forget the cost -- maybe $25 per rental? I considered doing that but will probably stick with the Visa.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:35 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Based on personal experience, AmEx will not cover you if you have any sort of 'free day' coupon. I rented a while back while overseas and used a free day coupon. Since I 'did not pay for the entire rental using AmEx' they refused to cover the damage claim. Of course I paid for as much of the rental that was out-of-pocket but they claimed using a free day coupon invalidated the collision damage waiver. Not sure if that is also true if one were to use $ off coupons, which are more common.

In the end my claim was reversed by a different division of AmEx as frivolous ($450 for a 1/2" scratch on the wheelwell that was probably there when I initiated the rental) but that is besides the point.

I now use Diners Club for my rentals - primary coverage anywhere in the world and costs under $100/year. Also gains me access to some airline clubs overseas.

Just know what is and is not covered before you venture out renting cars making basic assumptions that could be wrong.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by ehlfg
I don't know how my Visa (United Mileage Plus Platinum) or Amex cards (SPG, Rewards Gold Plus) compare to yours, but I'm looking at the same issue. I'll probably use the Visa for upcoming rentals in the UK because it is primary coverage overseas and clearly covers loss of use as well as damage. Well, OK -- another reason is that I'm getting double miles on car rentals through the Visa.

If you're using an Amex, another option is to sign up for the premium coverage. I forget the cost -- maybe $25 per rental? I considered doing that but will probably stick with the Visa.
It looks like Visa may provide a marginally better deal as they stated that they will cover loss of use charges, if well documented. Amex preminum coverage is better but not available to NY, CA residents.

Can you shed some light on how to get double miles on car rental? UA cards seem to give only 1 mile per dollar spent. Is that a special promotion?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:44 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
At the leaast the German Amex CDW does not offer you, if you have any kind of CDW in the rental package, so here the Visa/MC CDW is better.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mntblue
Can you shed some light on how to get double miles on car rental? UA cards seem to give only 1 mile per dollar spent. Is that a special promotion?
Yes, it's a promotion. I don't have the terms in front of me, but it was something like double miles for travel-related expenditures (other than at airlines) in the months of June, July, and August in excess of a specified monthly minimum. For me, the monthly minimum was $125.

I don't know whether it's appropriate to mention Visa promotions on an Amex board.... Wait, I know how to bring the topic back to Amex. I'm actually qualifying for a double miles promotion on a Visa that I've had for eight months, whereas I never qualfiy for promotions on an Amex that I've had for over twenty years!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:17 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
does AMEX also provide the collision protection on the Citibank AAdvantage Amex card? Or is the protection thru Citibank?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:07 am

What is AmEx "premium coverage" and where can I learn more about it and/or sign up?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
What is AmEx "premium coverage" and where can I learn more about it and/or sign up?
See here. Note that signing up will automatically trigger the $24.95 charge for each car rental you make thereafter. Some people report signing up, using the coverage, then dropping the coverage after the rental is over.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:18 am

That is crazy $450 for a little scratch?? You can buff that out yourself.

Originally Posted by fti
Based on personal experience, AmEx will not cover you if you have any sort of 'free day' coupon. I rented a while back while overseas and used a free day coupon. Since I 'did not pay for the entire rental using AmEx' they refused to cover the damage claim. Of course I paid for as much of the rental that was out-of-pocket but they claimed using a free day coupon invalidated the collision damage waiver. Not sure if that is also true if one were to use $ off coupons, which are more common.

In the end my claim was reversed by a different division of AmEx as frivolous ($450 for a 1/2" scratch on the wheelwell that was probably there when I initiated the rental) but that is besides the point.

I now use Diners Club for my rentals - primary coverage anywhere in the world and costs under $100/year. Also gains me access to some airline clubs overseas.

Just know what is and is not covered before you venture out renting cars making basic assumptions that could be wrong.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
As a U.S. cardholder, I used to always use AMEX for international car rentals. Now I only use my Visa Signature card. AMEX used to provide U.S. card holders with PRIMARY insurance coverage interntionally and excess coverage domestically. Now I noticed in recent years that AMEX appears to have quietly dropped the primary coverage feature for international rentals. In contrast, U.S. Visa card holders appear to still have PRIMARY coverage outside the U.S.

Within the U.S., AMEX appears better because the coverage is up to 30 days while Visa is only 14. Both insurance is excess. Overseas, however, Visa appears to offer 30 day coverage that matches AMEX and becomes a PRIMARY insurer while AMEX is not.

Also worth checking exclusions, before traveling. Visa appears to exclude rentals in Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and No. Ireland. (Not sure about AMEX). AMEX and Visa may possibly also differ regarding which vehicles are excluded from coverage as exotic.

It is also worth checking what insurance extras (if any) that any special rates might offer that one might be able to access through a professional organization. I just about exclusively rent from Hertz and Avis using special rates my car insurance company negotiated because the rate includes a guarantee from Hertz and Avis that my liability is limited to $5,000 if I damage/total the rental car, they guarantee I will not be charged loss of use and they even throw in complimentary third party liability coverage that would be my greater concern if I were involved in an accident.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Originally Posted by ehlfg
See here. Note that signing up will automatically trigger the $24.95 charge for each car rental you make thereafter. Some people report signing up, using the coverage, then dropping the coverage after the rental is over.
FYI. I just got an ad for this in the mail. There is also a $19.95 level of coverage that includes slightly lower maximum benefits.

More importantly, the AMEX policy regarding paying for the rental also excludes DISCOUNTS (e.g. AAA 10% CDP, etc.). This basically means that nearly every business traveler, and many leisure travelers worth their salt would be excluded! (Everyone on this board, right?)

I spoke to a rep today who confirmed this. However, I could not get a supervisor on the phone to confirm (waited 10 min and gave up) and I have not seen it in writing. If this is correct, AMEX should be ashamed of this deceptive practice.

Really, how many people a renting cars at the "rack" rate? And howdoes my 5% off savings affect insurance coverage?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:51 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by pistonsdc
FYI. I just got an ad for this in the mail. There is also a $19.95 level of coverage that includes slightly lower maximum benefits.

More importantly, the AMEX policy regarding paying for the rental also excludes DISCOUNTS (e.g. AAA 10% CDP, etc.). This basically means that nearly every business traveler, and many leisure travelers worth their salt would be excluded! (Everyone on this board, right?)

I spoke to a rep today who confirmed this. However, I could not get a supervisor on the phone to confirm (waited 10 min and gave up) and I have not seen it in writing. If this is correct, AMEX should be ashamed of this deceptive practice.

Really, how many people a renting cars at the "rack" rate? And howdoes my 5% off savings affect insurance coverage?
My rental car was damaged when someone tried to steal it, unsuccessfully. I paid with a SPG AmEx. So far there has been no reason to think that things will not work out satisfactorily, with AmEx covering the entire $240 or so loss, which comes in below the deductible with my primary carrier. Hopefully, it will all be resolved without hitches. What has been said in previous posts, however, gives me much insecurity where AmEx is concerned.

AmEx always seeks to convey the impression that they are the "quality" product to rely on, but not so good if one has to distinguish between renting in US vs abroad; worry whether the rental will be treated as other than a fully-paid one; be uncertain if the coverage will be primary or secondary, etc. Doubts like these undermine the ad pitches, even if things work out for me in the current situation.

Last edited by itsme; Aug 4, 2006 at 3:02 pm
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Originally Posted by itsme
My rental car was damaged when someone tried to steal it, unsuccessfully. I paid with a SPG AmEx. So far there has been no reason to think that things will not work out satisfactorily, with AmEx covering the entire $240 or so loss, which comes in below the deductible with my primary carrier. Hopefully, it will all be resolved without hitches. What has been said in previous posts, however, gives me much insecurity where AmEx is concerned.

AmEx always seeks to convey the impression that they are the "quality" product to rely on, but not so good if one has to distinguish between renting in US vs abroad; worry whether the rental will be treated as other than a fully-paid one; be uncertain if the coverage will be primary or secondary, etc. Doubts like these undermine the ad pitches, even if things work out for me in the current situation.
Please keep us posted on how this works out for you.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It really does depend where you rent the car. The CDW isn't primary, so it will only kick in if they can't get the coverage from somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.